U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,190,295 times

Advertisements

Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,170,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
And say you had really decided to make a decision to ask Christ in your heart...what would it take to turn you off completely? Thus, walking away and not turning back?
Although I know Jehovah and/or Allah don't exist, if they did, I would not ask for Christ or any God into my heart.

If they did exist, they'd have a lot of 'splainin' to do. And no answer would suffice.

Al Pacino said it the best in the Devil's Advocate. "He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? NEVER!".

If a God were to exist, the term absentee landlord would ring true.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:19 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,760,285 times
HG- I respect you for posting that. Really. My mother worked with teenage runaways, was a loving caring person and one of her kids even went out and became a dr. and accomplished great things (not me-lol) She died when I was a teenager. She was healthy, there was a snowstorm and horrible accident. I guess I stopped going to church after that.

I am surprised I divulged that. You asked a real and honest question, I gave you my honest answer.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,149,058 times
Quote:
Being a part of this forum has been very rewarding for me in all aspects of my life. It has also been very spiritually challenging and emotionally draining at times. I have encountered more differences of opinion here than really anywhere in my life. Everyone from the right to the left has challenged my thinking and faith radically.

I was recently informed by someone that since I began in this forum I've become wishy-washy; that I've become tolerant to "the other side". I'm not being a real Christian by accepting your views. I am a disapointment to Christ (the God I serve faithfully). And I am seeking justification for still being homosexual. Which of course I am not still gay.

As I've said before, for me this forum is not about a popularity contest, and it's not about agreeing with people all the time from either side of the fence. We are all people who have differing views on everything. No one, no matter if its a group of Amish, Jewish, Atheists, Christians, Muslims or whoever are going to agree exactly the same way.

Here is my question to everyone. And I would really love it if people who haven't posted before would consider putting in their 2 cents. Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?

Some people need a firm hand while others respond more effectively to a gentle word. What do you respond to, and why?
You sound like a very nice guy and although we may not agree on a lot of things, I think you sound like a very sincere, kind person.

Now, my response: I am not a Christian and probably won't ever be a Christian. But, I think one thing that really turns me off on Christianity is that some of the most vocal personalities are so judgmental.

For example, in your post you say that some people are judging you that you are becoming "too tolerant." I find that absolutely fascinating as Jesus (if you believe the New Testament) was one of the most tolerant persons of his time. He hung out with tax collectors, lepers, gentiles, and all kinds of other outcasts of the age. I wonder what these people who are accusing you would say of Jesus if they were back in that time?

And besides, if all you need to be saved is to sincerely take Christ into your heart and accept him as your savior, then why worry about all these these other political and moral causes? Seriously, if that is all you need to do, then why are so many so-called religious people condemning people from church for being gay or having an abortion, etc? They should instead spend their time encouraging every person to accept Jesus, no matter their political or moral situation. Instead they seem to devote so much energy toward hate. I don't understand that at all.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:34 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,766,086 times
Quote:

Spiritual and intellectual laziness is a vice. The more ignorant you are, the more control you allow others to have over you. So good for you for actively seeking truth and answers for yourself.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:36 AM

1,247 posts, read 773,148 times
Hoosier Guy, if it means anything, I consider you one of the good Christians. Humility is something severely lacking in our society. For some reason, we view it as a weakness.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:01 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,720,231 times
Quote:

Excellent post, HG! It's okay to say it was me who challenged you....I don't think anyone would be too surprised. Hoosier Guy and I have agreed to disagree. I don't believe there will be a whole lot of honest answers, though, because most people don't like to admit what pushes their buttons and gets them thinking. But if they respond angrily, then you pretty much have your answer. I won't be participating in this thread so don't worry. I want to just sit back and read the responses.

And in response to Irwin's post - Where have you been? WE HAVE BEEN BEATING YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH JESUS CHRIST. He is the ONLY WAY, and I think we have been very clear about that. And it is just that simple. Accept Him as your Savior, ask Him to live in you and everything else falls into place. It takes work and dedication on your part to stay the course, but God will always be with you as long as you accept Him. Your post reminded me of an excerpt from Mark Cahill's book I posted in another thread. Why, I think I will post it again!

Mark Cahill, "One Heartbeat Away":
"A friend of mine got a letter from an atheist. You will not believe what he wrote. Read on with an open heart:"

"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you are 100 percent right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate toward other humans? If you're right about God, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night?"

"When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your loving God created, yet you stand by and do nothing. If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling you thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that Walk signal will shine your way across the road."

"Think about it. Imagine the horrors hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right, then you're an uncaring, unemotional, and purely selfish [expletive] that has no right to talk about subjects such as loving and caring."

Mark's response to this letter: "I find it amazing that an atheist knows Christians should be sharing their faith with everyone they meet, but some Christians haven't figured it out yet."

'Nuff said...ya'll have fun.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,834 times
I would want to be treated by a Christian the same way I want to be treated by anyone - with respect and patience and affection. I think the best approach to someone who is not Christian (or at least not 'born again') is by example and by discussing your spirituality, that is, your personal experience of God. BUT---please oh please do not just quote the Bible. And don't condemn other religions. I work with several people who are born again - one who drives me crazy, one who I adore. The difference? One is patronizing toward anyone else's religion and talks a lot about "The Lord", and explained how my being Catholic is not going to save me - I guess I'm not Christian enough. The other person is very gentle, makes it known that he would just love it if you came to his church, but doesn't push. He also acknowledges that one's relationship with God is very personal, for no one to judge as right or wrong.
By the way, I don't think you can be too tolerant - not in this world. I cannot think that Christ, who spoke a lot about love and compassion (and absolutely nothing about homosexuality, by the way), would be disappointed in you. You seem like a person who earnestly wants to communicate with other people. That's good.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 PM

212 posts, read 807,178 times
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking say you were considering asking Christ into your heart. Say you were willing to listen to a person's testimony or to the Gospel message. In all honesty what would be the most effective way to approach you personally?
I think with logic and reason. Too many people come off like they're trying to push an imaginary fairy god-mother type tale on someone not familiar with the religion and it sounds very unbelivable. Too many people dive into the Bible and start quoting from it. How do you expect someone to use the Bible to justify the religion when they haven't even concluded it's a valid source? Understanding the theology is imo, the first step. Add a couple of references to books that you may have found helpful. Most importantly, let it be known it's their decision and not to sound judgmental and patronizing b/c they don't see eye to eye with you for that will turn someone off before they even start looking into things for themselves.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,760,285 times
And in response to Irwin's post - Where have you been? WE HAVE BEEN BEATING YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH JESUS CHRIST...
You see, HG I try to give religion a chance again after divulging trauma, and get no answers or empathy- that post with that sort of attitude is precisely the reason I stay away. That sort of mentality I cannot understand.People need understanding and something POSITIVE that relates to their lives. Otherwise if they have been traumatized, they question, and need ANSWERS not patronizing.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-28-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality