Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:23 PM

204 posts, read 507,182 times

Advertisements

I am a bible believing Christian and I would like to ask a question primarily to Christians on the forum (because my question implies that you believe in God and satan).

Why do you think that satan was not forgiven by God? God forgave mankind…so why do you think satan was not forgiven of his sin against God?

I have thought about it a lot and I personally think its because he sinned against God on his own…whereas we have help when we sin. Meaning that in the Garden of Eden the devil tempted mankind to sin…but nobody tempted satan to sin against God…he sinned all on his own so therefore he is not forgiven by God.

And just to clarify, I am by no means feeling sorry for him…I’m glad he is getting the longest prison sentence in history (eternity) and I hope it’s with hard labor.

I’m curious to see what other people think about this. Or do you think his sin was not forgiven because it was a sin of pride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,141,808 times
I think, (not sure) that Satan is supposed to want to set himself up above God. To be more powerful.

How could this sort of desire be forgiven?

Satan is not one of us and would not be governed by the same rules. He is one of the angels. I don't think we can say what the intentions are in regard to Evil.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

688 posts, read 2,832,459 times
That's a pretty cool question, I think! If satan asked for forgiveness today? Maybe God would forgive him, eh?
Maybe He's not forgiven him because he's never asked for forgiveness and is constantly rebelling against God. satan will get his ultimate punishment in the end, but maybe he still has time if he hurries.

Yes, maybe what Padgett2 said, it may be that he is not human therefore, different application. He is trying to take over, and is ruining people's lives and relationships with God, dooming people left and right, those are some serious criminal acts! But overall, God is a forgiving God, so if satan actually repented, and changed his ways, wouldn't God forgive? And if He did, then would the people who sinned be pardoned? What a crazy twist on this, huh?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,187,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
I am a bible believing Christian and I would like to ask a question primarily to Christians on the forum (because my question implies that you believe in God and satan).

Why do you think that satan was not forgiven by God? God forgave mankind…so why do you think satan was not forgiven of his sin against God?

I have thought about it a lot and I personally think its because he sinned against God on his own…whereas we have help when we sin. Meaning that in the Garden of Eden the devil tempted mankind to sin…but nobody tempted satan to sin against God…he sinned all on his own so therefore he is not forgiven by God.

And just to clarify, I am by no means feeling sorry for him…I’m glad he is getting the longest prison sentence in history (eternity) and I hope it’s with hard labor.

I’m curious to see what other people think about this. Or do you think his sin was not forgiven because it was a sin of pride?
Oh geez...I don't know if I should even open up my big ole yap.

I tend to think that Satan is performing a role that he was created for--otherwise, IMO, God had a flaw in his creation.

For me, I am still not sure if in the end Satan is ultimately redeemed via the "Lake of Fire" or not. But other scripture seems to say that his punishment is eternal.

I personally think it would bring more glory to God and attest to His infinate power and love if he were able to redeem all of creation--including satan. Either way, I don't believe that allowing evil to fester in a hell-hole forever is an actual triumph over evil--to me, a true triumph and victory would be for it to cease to exist entirely.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:37 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,238,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh geez...I don't know if I should even open up my big ole yap.

I tend to think that Satan is performing a role that he was created for--otherwise, IMO, God had a flaw in his creation.

For me, I am still not sure if in the end Satan is ultimately redeemed via the "Lake of Fire" or not. But other scripture seems to say that his punishment is eternal.

I personally think it would bring more glory to God and attest to His infinate power and love if he were able to redeem all of creation--including satan. Either way, I don't believe that allowing evil to fester in a hell-hole forever is an actual triumph over evil--to me, a true triumph and victory would be for it to cease to exist entirely.
Hmmm....I thought most universalists did believe that Satan will be ultimately reconciled?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

14,729 posts, read 9,679,171 times
Default Blasphemy

You must ask for forgiveness... and not with your tongue but with your heart, and the unforgiveable sin that satan has commited....Satan has blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Read Matthew, chapter 12

Matthew 12:30-32
30 He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters abroad. 31 Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven people. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,731,417 times
just imho, maybe its because satan is an angel, therefore not having the same "soul" makeup like a human. Of course, it would make sense, hes headed for a lake of fire, for all eternity, for him to repent, say Im sorry, but I dont see where Jesus died for angels, satan, therefore there is no blood sacrifice or atonement for them...thats IMHO

Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Hmmm....I thought most universalists did believe that Satan will be ultimately reconciled?
Well, for me the jury is still out on that one so to speak, but I do think it would bring glory to God and proclaim his power and love to do so (after an appropriate period of cleansing and purifying and correcting--which for satan I would imagine to be very long )

Old 07-27-2007, 02:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,897,397 times
Maybe I'm way off base on this, but it seems to me that angels and humans differ in one major way. Angels KNOW the truth of God while we are left to a belief in God and walking in blindness searching for the truth. Knowing the truth of God and choosing disobedience, as was Lucifer's choice, seems to be an unforgivable offense.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Maybe I'm way off base on this, but it seems to me that angels and humans differ in one major way. Angels KNOW the truth of God while we are left to a belief in God and walking in blindness searching for the truth. Knowing the truth of God and choosing disobedience, as was Lucifer's choice, seems to be an unforgivable offense.
Very very good point. Something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality