Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 06:35 PM

267 posts, read 533,483 times

Advertisements

Should any religion be offering religious services during times of emotional devastation? Camping on school grounds to offer help to those affected by the Virginia tech shooting for example?

Is it helping...or a sick and twisted recruitment effort?
Providing support...or preying on the weak?

Or if there's a similar forum could you direct me to it?

Last edited by Virote; 04-29-2007 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Many of us turn to our faith for comfort during trying times. I can understand that it would be of no benefit to those who don't believe. However, I think most people are well intentioned in their efforts to offer an avenue for people to work through their grief, to offer comfort and hope. I certainly don't see it as a means of recruitment. What purpose would that serve? True Christianity is about serving others.

The best thing of all for those who believe is the great hope that Jesus offers of eternal life. As a Christian, I have confidence that this life is just a very short interval of time and then I will spend eternity in heaven. That puts a completely different perspective on death. Death is really the doorway to our new life in a much better place. This brings hope and peace to those who believe.

Isa 26:19 Yet we have this assurance: Those who belong to God will live; their bodies will rise again! Those who sleep in the earth will rise up and sing for joy! For God's light of life will fall like dew on his people in the place of the dead!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
The best thing of all for those who believe is the great hope that Jesus offers of eternal life. As a Christian, I have confidence that this life is just a very short interval of time and then I will spend eternity in heaven. That puts a completely different perspective on death. Death is really the doorway to our new life in a much better place. This brings hope and peace to those who believe.

I would agree with you, in that I believe that most Christians mean well, and want to help folks, during a time of crisis, and that's as it should be. However, how is it that Christians believe so ardently about the peace and joy they have in Jesus, when it comes to people dying? What I mean is, where is the comfort, if one is certain, (or at least reasonably convinced), that a family member, friend, co-worker, etc., was not a believer? Where, then, is the great hope? I have been to funerals of professed believers, and the service does offer the comfort, that the family needs, at such a time. They can smile, even through the tears. But, what about the funeral of one who was not a believer? Where, now, is the comfort and the joy, for the believers? The glorious eternal life that Christians speak of, only pertains to fellow believers. I've said this before, in another thread, but if you have two children, one is who a professed believer, and the other is not, and both die, where is the comfort, the hope, the joy, the peace? Because given traditional Christian belief, the chances are pretty slim that one will see one's child in heaven. All that a believer is left with, in that scenario, is "maybe", and "perhaps". And, that has to be enough to carry through them the rest of their lives. The thought that a believer can be in heaven someday, with God, can indeed, be a great joy, until one remembers that there are loved ones who most likely would not. Someone, in another post, said that there is a verse in the Psalms, that states the memories of these people (unbelievers) would be taken from the believer. I find that argument troubling, because frankly, if one's memories are taken away, how then, are the believers the same people? Our memories and life experiences are what make us who we are.

I haven't sorted out all my feelings on the subject of belief, etc., (and, I come from an evangelical, fundamentalist Christian background, so I am pretty familiar with the beliefs), but there is one thing that I have decided. I believe that God has no intention of losing the majority of his creation. Therein lies my own comfort.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM

I haven't sorted out all my feelings on the subject of belief, etc., (and, I come from an evangelical, fundamentalist Christian background, so I am pretty familiar with the beliefs), but there is one thing that I have decided. I believe that God has no intention of losing the majority of his creation. Therein lies my own comfort.[/quote]

CelticLady....we are in complete agreement on that one!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM

CelticLady brings up a very important questions for us Christians. What about those who die without Christ? I am a musician and have played for more funerals than I can count. I know how difficult it is to find the words to console a family when there's no evidence that the deceased accepted the invitation Christ freely extends to all. My heart is saddened for them. They celebrate their memories, but memories are all they have. The services feel empty - a life like a vapor has disappeared forever.

How different is the service of a believer. It is a true celebration not only of a life lived but eternal life that never ends. There is the comfort of knowing this is not goodbye, but just a temporary separation. It is the joy of knowing your loved one has finished their course and are celebrating in the wonder and glory of heaven.

So we can say with the Apostle Paul...

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge shall give me on that day. Not to me only, but to all those who love his appearing.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM

267 posts, read 533,483 times
Thank you all for your thoughts. .

You do raise some interesting thoughts

Last edited by Virote; 04-30-2007 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality