Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think often there comes a point where we pass from life to existence, I think this should be a well counseled medical/personal decision.
I agree
and wouldn't this be similar to legal abortiion terminology
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
That's an excellent question. I guess I have mixed feelings about it. If a person is conscious and feels that their own life is so miserable and painful due to a medical condition that is irreversible I think that individual should be able to make the decision, not the government. On the other hand, I was really disturbed by the Terri Schiavo case. This woman was literally starved to death even though her parents pleaded with authorities. She was in no condition to make her own choices and her husband, who I think was a selfish man, made the decision for her. They didn't even allow her to have a painless death by injecting her with something that would have ended her life peacefully. They let her starve and gave her morphine to stop the pain. This was an abuse of the justice system and makes no rational sense. People actually have come out of comas after very long periods of time so I would never give up hope if it was a loved one. This is completely different from someone who is thinking clearly and wants to end their own suffering. There's no easy answers but I think we should include all of the possible scenarios when we're creating legislation.
I was also really disturbed by the Terri Schiavo scenario. I have worked with brain injury victims and it is hard to tell sometimes if they are "there" or not. One boy (he was only 11) that I worked with was thought to be in a vegetative state and the mother kept saying she knew he was aware of his surroundings, the doctors and therapists, nurses and rest of the staff thought she was just being a hopeful mom. One night (I worked the night shift) he woke up groaning...and for the life of me I couldn't get him in a comfortable position to stop it. So I was talking to him and notice that his eyes moved differently than I had noticed before. I asked him to "answer" me with his eyes (open for no, close for yes). Well it turned out that he was completely aware of his surroundings and completely able to communicate, but would only communicate with certain people! He evidently liked me because I always talked to him, many other nurses and assistants were silent in his room. Once everyone started to talk to him he started communicating his needs to them as well. It was wonderful for him and his mom.

But I still don't know if it's ok to end a life if it's the person's choice which is what Terri Schiavo's husband claimed. He was either truly dedicated to fullfilling his wife's wishes or he was as her parents claimed a money grubbing jerk. The one thing you can learn from that situation is to make your choices known to familiy by writing it down in a living will or advance directives document. Still don't know if it's right or wrong though.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:43 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
I think often there comes a point where we pass from life to existence, I think this should be a well counseled medical/personal decision.
Legally yes it should be a personal decision. But if it were made legal (it is legal in Oregon) would it be a sin?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I agree
and wouldn't this be similar to legal abortiion terminology

I would think that legally they'd be viewed differently. At least in most states where euthanaia/assisted suicide is still ilegal as far as I know.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Legally yes it should be a personal decision. But if it were made legal (it is legal in Oregon) would it be a sin?
Ahh, but that is an entirely different question, as opposed to the legal, or even the ethical one, I think. From a "sin" standpoint, no, I don't think so, because I think our Creator would know both the need and the desperation of the person and his/her family, in trying to make the best decision possible. But, it is still a touchy question, no doubt about it.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Ahh, but that is an entirely different question, as opposed to the legal, or even the ethical one, I think. From a "sin" standpoint, no, I don't think so, because I think our Creator would know both the need and the desperation of the person and his/her family, in trying to make the best decision possible. But, it is still a touchy question, no doubt about it.
I know Catholics consider suicide a sin but other faiths? I know I've often heard the argument that God doesn't give people more than they can handle which I would guess has many interpretations, one of which might be they retain the capacity to end their own suffering.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I know Catholics consider suicide a sin but other faiths? I know I've often heard the argument that God doesn't give people more than they can handle which I would guess has many interpretations, one of which might be they retain the capacity to end their own suffering.
To Catholics it is the only unforgivable sin and therefore are unredeemable for your selfish act

Old 05-05-2007, 08:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
To Catholics it is the only unforgivable sin and therefore are unredeemable for your selfish act
Really? You are more than likely right...it's been many, many years since I attended CCD or mass. It is interesting though because truly the only sin that will not admit you into heaven is not suicide...but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I personally believe some people who have committed suicide will be in heaven.

And in regards to Oregon...it's a very hot topic out there still. Obviously everyone does not agree on everything. I lived in Oregon for 7 years and what a controversy that subject is. I can accept people's decision since it's a law there, but I am completely against it.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Really? You are more than likely right...it's been many, many years since I attended CCD or mass. It is interesting though because truly the only sin that will not admit you into heaven is not suicide...but blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. I personally believe some people who have committed suicide will be in heaven.

And in regards to Oregon...it's a very hot topic out there still. Obviously everyone does not agree on everything. I lived in Oregon for 7 years and what a controversy that subject is. I can accept people's decision since it's a law there, but I am completely against it.
There very well may be more that was the one my parent's instilled in us
because of the fact it was a selfish act and there was no thought of how your loss affected others you don't care you just want what you want

Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
There very well may be more that was the one my parent's instilled in us
because of the fact it was a selfish act and there was no thought of how your loss affected others you don't care you just want what you want
Oh yeah I completely understand where you're coming from. My mom had a very good friend who was in her mid 40s with three young kids (single mom) and she killed herself. According to my mom her friend is in hell.

Consider this side though: my best friend is bipolar. He has never attempted suicide that I know of, but with his mental condition it is very possible that he could while in a manic or depressive state. Because of this mental illness he is not in his right mind...thus not making a decision he'd normally make when all the chemicals in his body are in balance. If he killed himself according to Catholics he'd go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality