Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,957 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. While I won't say that mine was the best, I believe that basically the doctrines are sound, and no other church has quite the same teachings. I did leave the Adventist church for a while. I am still (again) an Adventist because it is the church that I feel most closely resembles my beliefs, even though I am definitely not a strictly practicing one. I do attend services at churches of other denominations at times as well.

And, no man can tell me what I am or am not, that is between me and God.

And yes, things like you mentioned have happened. It is certainly one of the stricter denominations out there, and is definitely not a fit for everyone. Like I said before, they have largely gotten bogged down in the form of religion. However, there are still many very genuine, caring, practicing Christians among them.

At the same time I also know churchs where the vast majority wear wedding rings, makeup, and even jewelry. I believe that many individual churchs are seeing the light and realizing that Christianity is a journey. The church that I attended baptized several people who were still working through things in their life that are specifcally mentioned in the Church Manual, knowing that they weren't any different than the rest of us, just working on different things. Just because those things were perhaps more visible than what others were working on did not make them worse.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Thanks for your reply. So where did the whole do not celebrate thing come from. I think this is what so confuses people with coming to some of the denominations is the church laws that get in the way!! The two family members I was speaking of don't even know each other and it's amazing how they both took the vegetarian part and no celebrating up so quickly. My niece is 19 and as always celebrated her birthday and now she won't and let's us know we are not to buy for her ANYMORE. She won't even acknowledge her mom's birthday!!

Other religions do the same and I guess it just confuses people to what is right and wrong and which way to go. I have found non-denominational to be a lot easier it's the Bible plain and simple!!!
The not celebrating holidays - at least in my experience - came from the fact that a lot of them, like Easter, Christmas, etc. were based on pagan holidays. The belief is that by celebrating these holidays they are celebrating a "pagan" holiday.

As far as birthdays, again in my experience, it seems to be part of their interpretation of the admonition to be modest, selfless, humble, etc. I think to not even acknowledge someone's birthday is a bit extreme, but then that's JMHO!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
Are you aware that the Seventh Day Adventist church is a SECT by definition??

AND yes a man or in this case an organization with a copyrighted name can tell you what you are...

The SDA church is BIG business. Based on the plagurized works of Ellen White...who studies have shown probably suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy...a WHOLE church of people following along after the ravings of a head case.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...eb2/Eguae.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2865009.stm

Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Quote:
Other religions do the same and I guess it just confuses people to what is right and wrong and which way to go. I have found non-denominational to be a lot easier it's the Bible plain and simple!!!
Yep. Can't remember any denominations in the Bible. I am in a denomination, but in a recent 'pow wow' with my pastor, he looked at me and said "Ya know, there really was never supposed to be denominations."

I couldn't believe he said. But he did.

Good post, wildberries!

Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Are you aware that the Seventh Day Adventist church is a SECT by definition??

AND yes a man or in this case an organization with a copyrighted name can tell you what you are...

The SDA church is BIG business. Based on the plagurized works of Ellen White...who studies have shown probably suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy...a WHOLE church of people following along after the ravings of a head case.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neur...eb2/Eguae.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2865009.stm
Yes, I am aware that the SDA Church is a sect by definition. What I have works for me.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,794 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. So where did the whole do not celebrate thing come from. I think this is what so confuses people with coming to some of the denominations is the church laws that get in the way!! The two family members I was speaking of don't even know each other and it's amazing how they both took the vegetarian part and no celebrating up so quickly. My niece is 19 and as always celebrated her birthday and now she won't and let's us know we are not to buy for her ANYMORE. She won't even acknowledge her mom's birthday!!

I don't ever think I could forsake my mother as to not recognize her on her birthday

Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I can't speak for other churches however the Adventist church has a set of beliefs that are written down and posted for all to read...however there are things they don't take an official stand on for whatever reason.

Not all Adventists shun holidays or the celebration of peoples birthdays...not all Adventists are vegetarian although I did read something in a study done by a Non Adventist doctor who pointed out that a number of health problems were not so frequent in the Adventist population probably due to so many being Vegetarian.

Last I knew the church didn't even take a stand either way on abortion. To my knowledge women can't be ministers in the church although they often hold other offices. An old classmate of mine who has a ministerial degree is a chaplain at an Adventist hospital.

I went to high school in the 80s and we were not allowed to wear skirts above our knees for example but of course that is not in the Church Manual...we were never allowed to hold hands or kiss a boyfriend, again not in the Church manual.

From what I have read and talked about with other followers, the thing that REALLY sets the Adventist church apart is the belief in Ellen White. Anything else you can point out is a factor you can find in other religions...

Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM

125 posts, read 471,883 times
Many Adventist believe that Ellen White was a modern day prophet, like moses or abraham. Ellemae- Why do you say "plagurized Works" of Ellen White? Any literature from Ellen White has always been credited to her estate.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:39 PM

125 posts, read 471,883 times
My apologies ellemae that was Lisa, not you.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 PM

259 posts, read 1,181,959 times
I know I might be a bit late to this discussion, but Justone321 you could serve you and your family well by trying to really investigate other denominations, and in the process you will get to see Christianity from different perspectives. Sometimes its easy for people who grow up one denomination to be so used to it that others seem strange. I encourage you to leave preconceptions at the door and visit some churches, and talk with some pastors. The vibe you get from a pastor and parishoners is important but dont let make your choice for you. (I'd love to tell you to just go join my church, but the point is for you to find a church home, and with the bible in hand)
Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality