Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:04 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
What is a lay lead in your church? What do you do? (and is this question allowed in a get your LDS questions answered here thread?)
Thanks!!!
Lori
Lori,

A lay leader is simply someone who serves in the church who has no formal training and is basically an 'average Joe' off the street.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 AM

212 posts, read 792,438 times
In the LDS religion we all have jobs, or callings, in our wards (a ward is like a congrigation (sp??), no one is paid. Right now I lead the music and my husband teaches primary children, age 10. The Bishop, or leader of the ward, is also unpaid and can serve in his calling for 5-10 years.
LORI

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,900,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
In the LDS religion we all have jobs, or callings, in our wards (a ward is like a congrigation (sp??), no one is paid. Right now I lead the music and my husband teaches primary children, age 10. The Bishop, or leader of the ward, is also unpaid and can serve in his calling for 5-10 years.
LORI
Well, then you'd be considered a 'lay leader' in at least my (Baptist) denominational definitions.

Also, I apologize for not completely answering your question, I just realized I left out the "What do you do part?". I teach an adult Sunday School class and lead our church's youth program.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Get your self a copy of '70 Years On The Frontier", by Alexander Majors and you will get a feel for them.
I would offer that we will get more of a feel for Alexander Majors.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 PM

28 posts, read 41,826 times
Default Intro & Summary Answers

Hi, Alpha, I'm Sam, new as of yesterday, and I just noticed this thread. I noticed no one has written here for a couple of months, so I'm wondering if it's still active. Although I’m an active and true-blue Mormon, my interpretation of scriptures is a little surprising to the normal LDS person; you may find my answers quite different than what a normal Mormon would offer.

I wanted to touch lightly on some of your questions, then, if I see the thread is still active and you want more answers, I will elaborate.

I think the Greek or (Hebrew?) base for Hell is the grave. When David spoke of not staying in hell, he could have been referring to his hopes that he would be resurrected again.

When Christ said hell would not prevail against His church, I think He was saying that His death would not stop its progress.

Who Is Jesus, and Hierarchy: Many non-LDS people say that all they have to do to arrive at Jesus’ feet is just believe. They scoff at the LDS concept of “works,” and they say we cheapen the Atonement by supposing that our “works” can save us. Well, I agree with them. Other LDS do too, but they don’t know it. The LDS, as you have learned, believe in 3 degrees of Glory. There’s a modern LDS scripture that suggests that God the Father reigns over the Celestial Kingdom, Jesus reigns over the Terrestrial, and the Holy Ghost over the Telestial. To get to the Terrestrial, where Jesus can be found, LDS doctrine states that all you have to do is “believe.” It doesn’t say it that way, but that’s essentially what it says. So the Atonement does work for those who believe in Jesus. They get to His degree of Glory, and they will be happier--by far--than what anyone could ever imagine. Works is what gets you to the Celestial, in the presence of God the Father. We believe we can become some sort of god if we get to this kingdom. In this case, the Atonement isn’t cheapened, but is given even more power than what the non-LDS give it, because they say we can’t be like God. I think the Atonement is what gives us a chance to become like God. Of course, our works is not sufficient to get us there--and never would be--but because of the atonement, “works” is a catalyst that puts the Atonement to work in our progression toward godhood.

You asked if non-belief in Jesus (or Mormondom?) is fatal. I say no. Everyone will be given a fair chance. We can’t be held responsible for decisions we make in a moment of weakness and forgetfulness. We may gain advantages for exercising faith and making decisions that involve the welfare of others, but everyone that is judged in the end will say, “Thy judgments are just, O God.”

-- Sam

Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,999 times
hey everyone i just found this site and am hoping it is still active!!! i grew up LDS and my husband grew up christian....he has a lot of questions that i feel could be better answered from other people than myself. preferably he would like references from the bible if possible. like SamAntone i really hope you guys are still posting!!! thanks so much hope to talk to you guys soon!!!
whit

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Who is Jesus?

Boy is that a whopper of a question.
Jesus was born of the virgin Mary in Bethlehem. Raised by Mary and Joseph the carpenter. Not too much is known of his boyhood. He performed many miracles while on earth, taught principles of salvation to me and was eventually crucified by the Jews for his decleration of being the Son of God. He suffered for the sins of the world in Gethsemane. He died on the cross, was laid in a sepulchre and was raised by God on the third day. He is our Savior, Redeemer and King. He is the Prince of Peace. He is our greatest teacher. He will be our judge at the last day. There are many, many adjectives that can be used to describe our Savior but I think one of the most important is kind and loving friend. Through Him and only through Him can we gain exaltation. He is the mediator between us and God. It is in His name that we pray to the Father. Jesus Christ has a resurrected, perfected body and dwells in the heavens on the right hand of God; His Father and ours. We believe that Jesus Christ is our elder Brother and Brother to all those that sojourn on this earth.
Regarding the bolded statement in your quote above, I have this question: Do you believe that the atonement was accomplished in the garden and that the crucifixion was a needless murder?

Also, do you believe the atonement provided by Jesus is sufficient to cover all sin committed by man?

Old 09-26-2007, 05:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Regarding the bolded statement in your quote above, I have this question: Do you believe that the atonement was accomplished in the garden and that the crucifixion was a needless murder?

Also, do you believe the atonement provided by Jesus is sufficient to cover all sin committed by man?
I'm not an authority on this by any means and somebody else might be able to answer better but I'll give it a shot.
Yes I do believe the garden of Gethsemane was a crucial and often overlooked part of the atonement. I also believe the crucifixion was necessary also to complete the atonement. I think it is far to much a focal point in other religions and the garden of Gethsemane takes a back seat.
I believe there are only two things that the atonement did not cover and that is the sin against the Holy Ghost and the shedding of innocent blood.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I'm not an authority on this by any means and somebody else might be able to answer better but I'll give it a shot.
Yes I do believe the garden of Gethsemane was a crucial and often overlooked part of the atonement. I also believe the crucifixion was necessary also to complete the atonement. I think it is far to much a focal point in other religions and the garden of Gethsemane takes a back seat.
I believe there are only two things that the atonement did not cover and that is the sin against the Holy Ghost and the shedding of innocent blood.
Thank you for your response.

So, if someone commits murder, how can they be forgiven?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Thank you for your response.

So, if someone commits murder, how can they be forgiven?
Well as we know there are many examples of killing in the Bible and the two thieves on the crosses with Jesus were very likely murders yet Jesus said this day you will be with me in paradise.
As far as being forgiven that is up to God. There are so many variables in many cases such as motive, self defense, ect. God will be the final judge. I really can't give you a better answer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality