U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
 
1,554 posts, read 1,670,762 times
Reputation: 84

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
When I was a youngster in the 1930's and 1940's I always attended prayer meeting on Wednesday evenings.
During those years each family either had a member or a friend who was suffering with cancer or heart disease.
Prayer lists were a foot and a half long. We prayed for the afflicted to be comfortable and survive but they suffered and died anyway. Hundreds of millions of prayers across this nation went unanswered.

Now that medical technology has advanced in their education, techniques, electronic diagnostic devices, etc. and with better diets, blood thinners, stents, bypass surgery, stem cell transplants, chemotherapy, radiation
treatments etc. the same kind of patients live on into their 80's and sometimes 90's.

Prayer didn't have anything to do with their dying back then and it has nothing to do with their living now.

Check the insurance company's actuarial life expectency tables from back then and the ones for current men and women for particular age groups and you can prove it.

There is no invisible man in the sky and only those who were brainwashed as infants and small children believe that there is...

"And when thou prayest thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets that they may be seen of men Verily I say unto you __ They have their reward

But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly" ~Matthew 6:6~

God may not answer the prayer of the atheist and the idolater

It may be you are the oldest man in this forum, and evenso you claim any of your prayers in your entire life were not answered. I think you did not pray God at all; because the disbeliever is desperate of his Lord.

So here I have to say that many of my prayers and the prayers of a large number of people were answered.

Praying God indicates the depth of believing in God: that He is All-Knowing, All-Hearing and All-Able to answer the prayer.

>> God answers the prayer of the distressed and the obliged by danger or necessity, when such man prays Him, and removes his distress and danger.

>> God answers the prayer of the righteous man more than He answers the prayer of other men,

>> and God may not answer the prayer of the atheist and the one associating some patrons with God Almighty.

This is in the Quran 13: 14
لَهُ دَعْوَةُ الْحَقِّ وَالَّذِينَ يَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِهِ لاَ يَسْتَجِيبُونَ لَهُم بِشَيْءٍ إِلاَّ كَبَاسِطِ كَفَّيْهِ إِلَى الْمَاء لِيَبْلُغَ فَاهُ وَمَا هُوَ بِبَالِغِهِ وَمَا دُعَاء الْكَافِرِينَ إِلاَّ فِي ضَلاَلٍ

The explanation:
([The preaching ] to Him is the preaching of truth,

[and one that asks from Him is more worthy to be answered,

and the one who calls people to God alone is more worthy to be followed];

but those who call to other than Him, they [: their idols and patrons] answer them not at all,

save as one [soul] who stretches out his hands to the water that it may reach his [spiritual] mouth, but it reaches it not;

for the praying of unbelievers is only in missing [of the truth.]
[: the prayer of unbelievers will not be answered.])


//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ed#post8460056
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
 
6,344 posts, read 9,156,704 times
Reputation: 3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
My reality is what I observe and interact with around me daily.
So you do not observe or interract with your Heart on a daily basis?

Quote:
Apart from this forum, I do not spend my day wondering where I came from or where I am going to.
"An unexamined life is a life not worth living"-Socrates

Quote:
Rationalism requires no faith. Logic is what prevails.
A life that requires no faith is like a sport that requires no speed, strength or skill: where the heck is the challenge? The challenge of believing with no evidence is a challenge I am up to! Some see the existince or Reality as a time to whip out the white flag and say "I surrender", others, like myself, read entire libraries on reason, logic, the sciences and how there is no such thing as Fairies and laugh and say "is that all you got?" before heading to the woods to leave an offering to the Sidhe.

Quote:
The only things I solve are challenges which I encounter daily.
So, the questions of the purpose of life with a individual context and how to wrestle bliss from the jaws of banality is not something you come accross daily?

Quote:
All of these are processes within my own mind/brain which (in a way) I control.
Yes, the mind, and in that same mind, where all of "reality" is processed (hence, contained) I control, and in that control, indeed, Fairies, GOD, and prayer exists as powerful, absolutely true forces.

Existing is accepting reality...living is the process of challenging it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 26,137,237 times
Reputation: 8324
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Atheism is the one true way of looking at GOD for people whom believe in Atheism, just as Islam is the one true way of looking at GOD is for those who believe in Islam and who's lives are enriched by it.
An atheists view of gawd Uhhhh I think you have missed a major point about what atheists views are, but we have a clear view about the delusion of the believers of gawd
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
 
11,533 posts, read 12,091,312 times
Reputation: 8692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
And...I might add, the thing that separated us from the other semi intelligent spcies was our ability to imagine. Primitive mankind was learning how to use and control his developing imagination. His ignorance and early imagination is where the gods came from...all of them.

I can think of what very early mankind's imagination might have resembled. When I was a young boy my uncles used to tell me and my cousins "ghost stories." It would terrify us and sometimes we would have bad dreams. Can you imagine what the tales from primitive mankind's dreams might have turned into?

WE know about some of them don't we...they're in the bible and the quran.

The book of mormon and the golden tabloids on the other hand came from the imagination of a fairly modern day convicted scam artist.
So you have never experienced a ghost haunting as well? Okay, well that explains your scepticism. Many people do not beleive in ghosts or that there is a God. Honestly, I rather there be a God since there is too much power being abused by many people that needs to be stopped, but isn't, at least in this life time. The bible at least says something I choose to beleive, which is that we are eternal. Eternity has an appealing charm when you have debts to settle. If there is something I didn't get done in this lifetime, maybe I will get a new chance in another.

Or I will leave it to God to cast judgement.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM
 
6,344 posts, read 9,156,704 times
Reputation: 3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
An atheists view of gawd Uhhhh I think you have missed a major point about what atheists views are, but we have a clear view about the delusion of the believers of gawd

Yes, the Atheist view on GOD is that he/she/it/them does not exist. It is true for those Atheist who are happier without a GOD. For the Muslim, GOD exist, and because he is happier with GOD, then GOD is proven true.

Everyone should belief that which makes them happiest, it's simple as that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Radnor, PA.
3 posts, read 3,813 times
Reputation: 18
well, as much as my analytical mind can agree and almost sympathize with Melvin, I must share a story or two. The first was when I went to a evangelical conference in Tampa, Fl. As everyone was bowing their heads for prayer, I kept praying how much I should give in offering since I only had enough money for a bus ticket back to PA. For some odd reason the amount 100.00 kept popping into my head. I shook the idea of that way and prayed again. Again, one hundred dollars just seemed right for some reason. I knew from checking with my bank that I only had 110.00 left. So I wrote my debit card number down on an offering envelope, and emphasized the "dot." on the amount line. I was scared, because I had never done anything on faith like that before. The next day I called my bank to make sure that I didn't bounce my account and discovered there was a 1000.00 in my account, even. It was the strangest thing. I asked the manager who desposited that money, and he stated "Miss, that amount was deposited when you opened the account." Which was not true, I have a statement at home to this day that states I opened my account with 50 dollars... the bank confirmed that no one deposited that money and it did not come from an outside source. Can you believe that? It was that incident of prayer that had me sold. I mean, what could we lose from life from prayer? There's only the chance of us gaining right?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top