Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So then, you will vow never to waiste your time with a lover? After all, Romantic love cannot be proven empiricially and hence it, like God, is not worth your time, right?
I know what I know.
Carl Sagan was a slave to Rationalism and reason just as the Borg are slaves of the collective.
At least you admit it.
Why, logically, should you not murder if you can get away with it? What basis in Reason does morality have? None what so ever.

Again with then need for proof! I do not believe in evidence or empirical data. If it can be "proven" to someone in their heart, then it is true enough for them.
I know love exist, I have felt it and seen it. Romantic? I need more information then that to agree with you, it is a subjective word
I can disprove God. I can't disproves deitites exist, but i can disprove god. (saying "god", and not a god, you are talking about the christian god)

slave to Rationalism

Rationalism

1. Reliance on reason as the best guide for belief and action.
  2. Philosophy. The theory that the exercise of reason, rather than experience, authority, or spiritual revelation, provides the primary basis for knowledge.

slaven.1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence: "I was still the slave of education and prejudice" (Edward Gibbon).
3. One who works extremely hard.
4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component.

Fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You say you think your mental problems disappeared when you switched from drugs to faith, but I'm not seeing evidence of that, if you actually believe that reality is subjective.
lol, some people call me cold.....

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I know love exist, I have felt it and seen it. Romantic? I need more information then that to agree with you, it is a subjective word
I can disprove God. I can't disproves deitites exist, but i can disprove god. (saying "god", and not a god, you are talking about the christian god)

slave to Rationalism

Rationalism

1. Reliance on reason as the best guide for belief and action.
  2. Philosophy. The theory that the exercise of reason, rather than experience, authority, or spiritual revelation, provides the primary basis for knowledge.
slaven.1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence: "I was still the slave of education and prejudice" (Edward Gibbon).
3. One who works extremely hard.
4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component.

Fail.
I can prove that many people say "god" other then the Christian GOD:

Quote:
In general Hinduism considers God not just as the Supreme All-powerful Gigantic One, Who commands the humanity to tread the way He/She/It says, but also a personal God Whom the individual can worship out of love and not necessarily out of fear ! The fear brings one only upto certain point and beyond that it repels, but love takes through to the point.
Hindu Concept of God

Quote:
Deism is belief in God based on the application of our reason on the designs/laws found throughout Nature.

Deism Defined, Welcome to Deism, Deist Glossary and Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Thus the word “Unitarian” developed, meaning the oneness of God
UUA Programs & Services: Unitarian Universalist Origins: Our Historic Faith

Fail.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
You say you think your mental problems disappeared when you switched from drugs to faith, but I'm not seeing evidence of that, if you actually believe that reality is subjective.

You have a point there sans!

I think that VPunk needs a hug.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Kant and Dostoyevesky also considered reality to be relative. Hence, if I am insane, I am in good company.

This insanity, unlike Depression, is an insanity I rather enjoy and hence, see no need to abandon it.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I can prove that many people say "god" other then the Christian GOD:.
That doesn't help me when someone says "you can't disprove god".

Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Where is this non-empirically "provable"evidence?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
That doesn't help me when someone says "you can't disprove god".

Point is, you claimed that by saying "God", I automatically was referring to the Christian* GOD. I just showed you a Hindu, Deist and Unitarian Univeralist website that proved that other groups use GOD other then Christians.

Will Gplex almighty admit he was wrong?

* which Christian GOD do you mean? We gnostics do not have the same GOD as the Nicene, so the term "the Christian GOD" really makes no sense

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Point is, you claimed that by saying "God", I automatically was referring to the Christian* GOD. I just showed you a Hindu, Deist and Unitarian Univeralist website that proved that other groups use GOD other then Christians.

Will Gplex almighty admit he was wrong?

* which Christian GOD do you mean? We gnostics do not have the same GOD as the Nicene, so the term "the Christian GOD" really makes no sense

I think you are arguing with someone who doesn't believe in any god. Nicene, Gnostic...all make believe.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I think you are arguing with someone who doesn't believe in any god. Nicene, Gnostic...all make believe.

Saying you believe and saying you understand the concepts behind are two different things. I understand the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars, but I don't believe in either of them (not that it doesn't stop me from engaging in the age old argument of "who would win in a fight, Darth Vader or Kahn from 'The Wrath of Kahn'? or "who's hotter, Leia or that new girl they have playing Uhura in the movie"?)

You can believe it's fiction all you want, but at least understand the different works of fiction and different characters in the fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality