U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,239,050 times

Advertisements

I've been on the planet for a little over 40 years, growing up in the super [Christian] conservative Caribbean (slavery's loving legacy). It was (and still is in some parts) to take the "Great Commission" seriously. Of course, the Great Commission is taken from the last chapter of the Gospel [according to] Mark where Jesus supposedly tells his Disciples to go preach the Gospel and MAKE Disciples of ALL men. In my youth, Christians felt this meant they were to pass out tracts and/or have "open air" services where churches too their congregations to the streets to hold church services on street corners.

In addition to this, it was not uncommon for Christians to walk up to you and ask you if you "know Jesus." Where I come from, it was impolite, even disrespectful to outright reject such advances. Under an onslaught of pressure from the Christian, the best one could do to get out of it was to make promises about coming to church or that you are going to seriously take their message to heart. You dared not say you DIDN'T believe in god.

Well, times have changed. For years I've heard Christians talking about a "personal relationship" and now I am realizing that this is becoming a reality. More and more Christians are quite satisfied to keep quiet and keep their faith to themselves. What I often hear is, "well if someone asks me about my faith I might tell them what I believe," but the days when they went on the offensive seems to be fading in the face of a wave of critical arguments against the Christian idea that what they believe is WITHOUT flaw. Left and right the Christian message and its apologetics are taking a beating. With the advent of the internet to provide alternative opinions, what used to be considered absolute is now being riddled with reason.

So now I wonder, if Christians are feeling more comfortable to "keep it to themselves" for fear of [probably] being exposed on how little many really know about their bibles, aren't they disobeying the Great Commission? Is the great rise of reason based criticisms cowing down the Great Commission?

NOTE: I am aware that NOT all Christians care anything about other people believe. They are quite satisfied to do their own thing while allowing others to do their thing. They don't care if you go to some hell or enter some heaven. They live and let live. The Great Commission for them is to make sure THEY go to church, follow the rituals and raise their family in their faith - end of story.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM

18,067 posts, read 10,015,173 times
Romans 10
14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

IMO, Christians should not hesitate to share the Gospel. However, it's important to follow the Holy Spirit's lead. In my church, we stress witnessing to those you already have a relationship with, i.e., family, co-workers, friends, etc. That's not to say we shouldn't speak to a total stranger, but again, only if the Spirit leads.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM

2,345 posts, read 4,048,941 times
At my old church they'd do the whole door knocking thing. Ugh! I never went. I was way to embarrassed!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
IMO, Christians should not hesitate to share the Gospel. However, it's important to follow the Holy Spirit's lead. In my church, we stress witnessing to those you already have a relationship with, i.e., family, co-workers, friends, etc. That's not to say we shouldn't speak to a total stranger, but again, only if the Spirit leads.
So you guys do follow the commission I see. Do you guys notice a growing resistance to your message?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM

18,067 posts, read 10,015,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
So you guys do follow the commission I see. Do you guys notice a growing resistance to your message?
Absolutely not! If anything, we've seen an increase in conversions/baptisms.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,655,289 times
I agree with the OP that fewer and fewer Christian's are actively involved in our mandated ministry to the lost. For whatever reason, it's either not happening at all or being done half-heartedly or, worse, it's being mixed with a political message. Oh, sure, there are "programs" out the wazoo, but no real sharing of the Gospel.

Maybe that's the reason we've become irrelative to many people. Maybe that's the reason church attendance (never a good measure of faith to start with), is declining. Maybe that's why so many people are running hither and yon trying to find "meaning" in their lives.

We've lost our message.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Absolutely not! If anything, we've seen an increase in conversions/baptisms.
You know, I was not expecting a different answer, to be honest. I am not sure I will find a Christian who will tell me otherwise, however, just because I did not expect to hear different does not mean I am doubting you though.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 10-22-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 11:23 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,665,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I agree with the OP that fewer and fewer Christian's are actively involved in our mandated ministry to the lost.
Perhaps because it has become ever increasingly obvious that it is the Christians who are the ones who are in fact lost?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,923,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Perhaps because it has become ever increasingly obvious that it is the Christians who are the ones who are in fact lost?
Post of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality