Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

This Gallup poll is interesting.

Frequent Church Attendance Highest in Utah, Lowest in Vermont

I was surprised that only 32% in Florida regularly attend church. I suppose my perspective is skewed because of two mega churches very close to my condo.

On the other hand, the good news is, that even in the state like Utah, only about 50% of the population regulatory attend a church. Slowly but surely, secularism is making inroads. And that is a good thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
I can safely say that the results of this poll didn't surprise me at all. Every state in the top and bottom 10 resonated with my understanding of the reality from other sources, and I didn't have a strong expectation that I would see any of the other 30 in the top or bottom 10.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I was surprised that only 32% in Florida regularly attend church. I suppose my perspective is skewed because of two mega churches very close to my condo.
Because Florida is retiree-heavy, my guess is that it's similar to another retiree-heavy area that I used to live in: Arizona. Some retirees realize they are in their final years and by god (or not!) they are going to enjoy life for a change. The joke in the Sun City / Surprise area was that you could sometimes find septegenarians making out in the bushes. This is particularly true of the widowed. Even my father went a little crazy (relatively speaking, for him) after he moved into an assisted living facility after my mother died. He took up with a fellow resident from a completely different background and race, which bemused us to no end.

In other words they don't stand on ceremony, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the retirees are proportionately under-represented at church, contributing to Florida's low showing. Also of note: Arizona is running neck-and-neck with Florida at 33%.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
So where are the surprises? I just noted that Florida seems less rabid than the rest of Dixie. Apart from that..

Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 AM

I had another look to check Alaska. The Sarah Palin nitemare gave me a sudden very negative view of the place; but it seems to have a rather low church -rating. maybe the weather has something to do with it.

Arizona and all stations west didn't surprise me. I sometime hear how religious they are but it would have surprised me if they'd been bluer than they are.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I had another look to check Alaska. The Sarah Palin nitemare gave me a sudden very negative view of the place; but it seems to have a rather low church -rating. maybe the weather has something to do with it.

Arizona and all stations west didn't surprise me. I sometime hear how religious they are but it would have surprised me if they'd been bluer than they are.
Alaska is so sparsely populated and so many of its people in remote locations that they actually have some phone-in churches.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So where are the surprises? I just noted that Florida seems less rabid than the rest of Dixie. Apart from that..
I think the surprise was on the part of the OP ... his perception is that Florida was unusually "churchy" and it's just middle of the road overall. Being both southern (southeastern actually) and gray, one would think that it would be nearer the top.

Arizona being gray and sparsely populated, seems more middle of the road than I would have thought, too.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Alaska is so sparsely populated and so many of its people in remote locations that they actually have some phone-in churches.
That might be a good idea for Catholic kids.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the surprise was on the part of the OP ... his perception is that Florida was unusually "churchy" and it's just middle of the road overall. Being both southern (southeastern actually) and gray, one would think that it would be nearer the top.

Arizona being gray and sparsely populated, seems more middle of the road than I would have thought, too.
Somehow, I always had the impression that Florida wasn't registering on the Bibles and bullets scale. Just an impression.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:52 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Somehow, I always had the impression that Florida wasn't registering on the Bibles and bullets scale. Just an impression.
Remember that Florida has a ton of transplants from the northeast US and upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality