Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:15 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
definitely a lota active church haters out there.
but i dont think they are atheists just former members who failed to get approval on their new lifestyle.
There also seems to be a lot of atheist haters out there....Tell me what religion has against us other than the fact that we don't believe in god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
definitely a lota active church haters out there..
...Really??? I could go the the christianity forum and pick examples to show a lot of people there who hate muslims, moderate christians, liberal christians, hindus, buddhists, secular constitution, arabs, etc. Else, these "loving" people are so fine. Let us not be too pious and presumptious about people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948;1152741but i dont think they are atheists just former members [B
who failed to get approval[/b] on their new lifestyle.
....ever considered the possibility it may be the other way around and the church was not up to snuff?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Hey, it's a common enough response we get from you people.

Athiests, and we non-Abrahamic Theists, don;t require your god or your relgiion to live moral, fullfilling lives. This is simply proven by 1. the disproportionatly tiny fraction of us in US jails for the former, and 2. exampled by Atheists and non-Abrahamics worldwide for the latter.
No problem, I can completely accept that many atheists and would-be atheists live moral responsible fulfilling lives. That's why in my opinion it's probable that heaven is going to have a lot of former atheists in it.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:43 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,359,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
A vice chancellor at Australian Catholic University wrote an article published November 3, 2009 about nontraditional atheists attacking his church. He calls it a "plague".

I thought since there are quite a few atheists and quite a few Christians on this forum that the article might make an interesting topic for discussion that hopefully will remain civil and constructive instead of just emotional acting out without substance.

Here are a few extracts from the article, with a link to the entire article below:

"From time immemorial, this world has been troubled by plagues. From bogong moths in Canberra to frogs in biblical Egypt, unwelcome and unlovely creatures have the awkward habit of turning up in bulk.

Just now, we are facing one of our largest and least appealing infestations. Somewhat in advance of summer's blowflies, we are beset by atheists. Worse, they are not traditional atheists. These tended to be quiet blokes called Algie with ancillary interests in nudist ceramics, who were perfectly happy as long as you pretended to accept a pamphlet in Flinders Lane.

...the new hobby atheist is as brash, noisy and confident as a cheap electric kettle. They want everyone to know that they have not found God, and that no one else should.

Their particular target seems to be Catholics. On the surface, this is odd, as there are plenty of other religious targets just waiting to be saved from a vengeful, non-existent deity. Smaller herds, such as the Christadelphians or the Salvation Army, might seem more manageable. But the Catholic Church has two incomparable advantages as an object of the wrath of proselytizing atheists. First, it is the biggie. Taking out the Catholics is the equivalent of nuking the Pentagon. Guerilla bands of Baptists and Pentecostals can be liquidated at leisure....

At the bottom, of course, lies hate. I am not quite clear why our modern crop of atheists hates Christians, as opposed to ignoring or even politely dismissing them, but they very clearly do. There is nothing clever, witty or funny about hate.

Greg Craven is vice-chancellor of the Australian Catholic University.

Here's a link to the entire article.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/a-plague-of-atheists-has-descended-and-catholics-are-the-target-20091103-hv52.html

1. Do City Data Atheists identify with the untraditional "modern crop" of Atheists the writer thinks has recently emerged?

2. Do CD Atheists think that they are engaged in "proselytizing" for their cause and that hatred of Christians is the motivation for any atheist who may be consciously doing so?

3. Do CD Christians think they are under organized or unorganized attack by atheists? If so, how should they defend themselves in a Christlike manner?

I don't wish to restrict the discussion to those questions, they are intended only as conversation starters.

Reasoned civil comments anyone?

After reading his article I have to say the Atheists sure have his tail feathers in a knot. He protested so hard I started looking for the truth he was hiding and than found the section on what is being said in the Melbourne papers.
“In an average week of atheistic bigotry in the Melbourne media, we can expect to learn that Catholics endorse child molestation, hate all other religions, would re-introduce the crusades and the auto de fe at the slightest opportunity, despise women, wish to persecute homosexuals, greedily divert public moneys for their own religious purposes, subvert public health care, brainwash children, and are masterminding the spread of the cane toad across northern Australia.â€
I don’t know about the Cane toad issue, but the rest sounds like it is hitting the nail on the head and someone is not happy to see it published.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,574 times
Quote:
No problem, I can completely accept that many atheists and would-be atheists live moral responsible fulfilling lives. That's why in my opinion it's probable that heaven is going to have a lot of former atheists in it.
It is my opinion (beliefs) that your heaven is but one of many, and closed to all who don;t worship your god.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,203 times
Quote:
The biggest fallacy of atheism is the head-in-sand denial of what everyone else knows, that man is a dual creature, a physical body with an immortal spirit inside it. The truth is that at some point your BRAIN will be taken from you. But your consciousness, your awareness, is eternal.

Like it or not and regardless of the sleepless nights that proved nothing, that is the fate that awaits you...
I love the irony of an ad populum argument coming from someone following a religion less popular in the US than non-belief. If you're really going by raw numbers, you've picked the wrong horse by a long shot.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I love the irony of an ad populum argument coming from someone following a religion less popular in the US than non-belief. If you're really going by raw numbers, you've picked the wrong horse by a long shot.
I don't understand your comments, there is no reference to numbers in the quote from me that you cite. Please explain, thx.

Edit: oh, ok, "everyone else". It seems from the definition of "atheist" that everyone is either an atheist or a believer in God or a god of some kind, or I suppose a few undecided fence sitters or don't care's or never gave it a thought's...

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,203 times
Quote:
I don't understand your comments, there is no reference to numbers in the quote from me that you cite. Please explain, thx.

Edit: oh, ok, "everyone else". It seems from the definition of "atheist" that everyone is either an atheist or a believer in God or a god of some kind, or I suppose a few undecided fence sitters or don't care's or never gave it a thought's...
Nope, you missed the point. Your argument says that what's more popular is more true. There are more atheists & agnostics than LDS in the US, (Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so by your own argument you're wrong to follow your religion. And non-religious outnumber your religion by a factor of ten, so they're an order of magnitude more correct than you are.

I'll be more likely admit that the number of people who believe in something indicates it's true when you convert to Catholicism or Islam - you know, the biggest or fastest growing religions.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Nope, you missed the point. Your argument says that what's more popular is more true. There are more atheists & agnostics than LDS in the US, (Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) so by your own argument you're wrong to follow your religion. And non-religious outnumber your religion by a factor of ten, so they're an order of magnitude more correct than you are.

I'll be more likely admit that the number of people who believe in something indicates it's true when you convert to Catholicism or Islam - you know, the biggest or fastest growing religions.
Yes, i missed your point, and I still do, you must have misunderstood me.

(Not that it matters, but your source shows almost the same number of adult Latter-day Saints in the USA as atheist/agnostics combined. And again not that it matters, but I think the LDS Church is the second fastest growing church in the USA and among the fastest growing of all Christian denominations in the world - now close to 14,000,000 members - and that's a single denomination, not an association or grouping of many small churches and separate denominations professing a similar package of religious beliefs.)

Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM

651 posts, read 1,417,435 times
Quote:
The biggest fallacy of atheism is the head-in-sand denial of what everyone else knows, that man is a dual creature, a physical body with an immortal spirit inside it. The truth is that at some point your BRAIN will be taken from you. But your consciousness, your awareness, is eternal.
Quote:
Yes, i missed your point, and I still do, you must have misunderstood me.
I'm not sure what you are missing; the highlighted portion of your post is the part KC appears to disagree with you about. In your original post, you seem to be saying that souls exist because "everyone else knows". KC points out that popular beliefs are not necessarily true. KC further makes the point that your religion is less popular than no religion; using your logic, Mormon beliefs are not true because they are less popular. If you were making a different point, you failed to make it clear.

I take issue with your statement that 'everyone' knows; you should not assume that everyone believes in spirits. Your argument is too easily refuted by using overly broad language. I don't believe in spirits; your statement is now refuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality