Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,630,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I am willing to make a deal here.......If no more christers ever preach at me, then, I will no longer preach against them.
None of us have the power to make all Christians stop doing anything to you or anyone else.

Still I'd be willing to make a deal that if atheists at this forum stop using the word "christer" I'll stop posting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 07:53 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,702,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I understand "mullahs" and assume with the other word that is probably not in any dictionary that you are referring to Christians. But real Christians are taught to hate nobody, in fact to love everyone, that's what Jesus Christ said they/we should do. Perhaps you are referring to extremists who claim to be Christian but who act in a manner that is not Christlike.

I don't understand how it is logical for you to think that anyone would be "scared of reason and logic" just because they are religious. Or are you of the opinion that only godless people value and exercise reason and logic?
I was referring to the hardcore types - they are in all religions. Hardcore types are scared of logic and reason and love their flock to have absolute blind faith.

Self proclaimed "real" christians have also told me that I will go to hell since I will not be saved. Heck, what is a "real" christian or a "real" muslim etc. I just look at them as people with hardcore vs normal viewpoints. Thankfully, ones with normal viewpoints vastly outnumber the hardcore types.

Let me ask you - since you seem to be open to logic etc - when is the last time your church sat down, invited priests from other faiths (Bhudists, Hindus, Muslims, etc) and had a real comparitive discussion (in front of your own flock) of these religions? Most times, religions tell people theirs' is the only way. Suggestion: if there is a god, most major religious heads should try to find out which one is the real one - does that sound like a logical and reasonable (and basic) thing to do? No one has done this yet there is so much hatred in the name of religion and the multiple gods - of which, AT BEST, only 1 may be real.

Last edited by calmdude; 11-07-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,383,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I am willing to make a deal here.......If no more christers ever preach at me, then, I will no longer preach against them.
If religion forums are a dusty road to you, why not just avoid them?

Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Certainly I can come up with a link, how about several? Google is your friend... Fox News has managed to manuver themselves to a position on par with NewsMax and World Net Daily as far as credibility goes.
I'm sure that the bottom line with the owners and shareholders of Fox News, as it is with any for-profit corporation, is profit. Controversy brings in new viewers and retains old viewers. New viewers bring in more advertising revenue, seems to be working for them. My understanding is that huge numbers of new viewers are flocking to Fox News and away from other news channels.

But then, I heard that on Fox News, maybe it's a lie...

Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 AM

Default Ecumenism among Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
....Let me ask you - since you seem to be open to logic etc - when is the last time your church sat down, invited priests from other faiths (Bhudists, Hindus, Muslims, etc) and had a real comparitive discussion (in front of your own flock) of these religions? Most times, religions tell people theirs' is the only way.

Suggestion: if there is a god, most major religious heads should try to find out which one is the real one - does that sound like a logical and reasonable (and basic) thing to do? No one has done this yet there is so much hatred in the name of religion and the multiple gods - of which, AT BEST, only 1 may be real.
Good calm points dude.

Ecumenism appears to be a desirable ideal, but with something like 38,000 different Christian denominations it's highly unlikely to succeed in any large measure in my opinion. It is my understanding that even during the coming one thousand year "Millennium" that Christians are looking forward to there will still be different churches, though everyone living on this planet will behave towards everyone else in a loving manner and there will be no violence.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has about 13,500,000 members worldwide and owns and operates the largest private university in the nation, so I'm sure that talks such as you suggest do happen. Any priest or whatever of any other denomination is certainly welcome to civilly discuss relgious beliefs with Mormons anytime.

I'm aware of several televised debates and even a series of books (I think one of them titled "Are Mormons Christian?") that were co-authored by an LDS professor and an Evangelical professor, each responding in their own way to the same questions.

But, regarding your statement about "multiple gods" sure there are gods of many names and many descriptions spoken of in different cultures and nations and times. It's possible I suppose that they all ultimately refer to the one Heavenly Parent who created human spirits in His own image and likeness and gives them a turn on earth.

Christians are followers of JESUS CHRIST regardless of how differently some may understand him and his teachings, and how aggressively some may proclaim and defend their own package of beliefs about him.

It's not a perfect world, and few ideals are realized and maintained for any length of time...

Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Good calm points dude.

Ecumenism appears to be a desirable ideal, but with something like 38,000 different Christian denominations it's highly unlikely to succeed in any large measure in my opinion. It is my understanding that even during the coming one thousand year "Millennium" that Christians are looking forward to there will still be different churches, though everyone living on this planet will behave towards everyone else in a loving manner and there will be no violence.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has about 13,500,000 members worldwide and owns and operates the largest private university in the nation, so I'm sure that talks such as you suggest do happen. Any priest or whatever of any other denomination is certainly welcome to civilly discuss relgious beliefs with Mormons anytime.

I'm aware of several televised debates and even a series of books (I think one of them titled "Are Mormons Christian?") that were co-authored by an LDS professor and an Evangelical professor, each responding in their own way to the same questions.

But, regarding your statement about "multiple gods" sure there are gods of many names and many descriptions spoken of in different cultures and nations and times. It's possible I suppose that they all ultimately refer to the one Heavenly Parent who created human spirits in His own image and likeness and gives them a turn on earth.

Christians are followers of JESUS CHRIST regardless of how differently some may understand him and his teachings, and how aggressively some may proclaim and defend their own package of beliefs about him.

It's not a perfect world, and few ideals are realized and maintained for any length of time...
I understand what you are saying. I am not trying to get the minds from 1000s of religions to meet - just hoping at least the few major ones will. Maybe start by including Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus & Bhuddists. Decide on "the" god, which version of his word is real, etc. Imagine the amount of hatred such an event (if successful) will cut down. Then the only thing to save will be those pesky atheists ....

The part I bolded - I have heard the same from some eastern religions also - they tend to be less dogmatic. Wish more people felt that way.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
I understand what you are saying. I am not trying to get the minds from 1000s of religions to meet - just hoping at least the few major ones will. Maybe start by including Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus & Bhuddists. Decide on "the" god, which version of his word is real, etc. Imagine the amount of hatred such an event (if successful) will cut down. Then the only thing to save will be those pesky atheists ....

The part I bolded - I have heard the same from some eastern religions also - they tend to be less dogmatic. Wish more people felt that way.
My guess is that "the" god will only be fully acknowledged when His son Jesus Christ descends from the sky in glory, as Christians are expecting to happen in the not distant future, judging by the already fulfilled signs of the times.

But I didn't think those "pesky atheists" wanted to be saved. As I understand it they're quite content with their godless universe and belief in eternal extinction when they (like it or not) take their last breath.

I admire you for having enough courage to profess faith in such a philosophy that to me seems so dark, dismal, and hopeless given the fact that mortal life is so brief, love is so strong, and relationships are sometimes so precious they should never end if the universe is unfolding as it should...

Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
My guess is that "the" god will only be fully acknowledged when His son Jesus Christ descends from the sky in glory, as Christians are expecting to happen in the not distant future, judging by the already fulfilled signs of the times....
No - like I said before, we have your clones in other religions who think otherwise.

Quote:
But I didn't think those "pesky atheists" wanted to be saved. As I understand it they're quite content with their godless universe and belief in eternal extinction when they (like it or not) take their last breath. ...
Didn't say we wanted to be saved. Was just pointing out after first saving all the religious people via 1 "true" religion, then you guys could band together and talk some sense into atheists.

Quote:
I admire you for having enough courage to profess faith in such a philosophy that to me seems so dark, dismal, and hopeless given the fact that mortal life is so brief, love is so strong, and relationships are sometimes so precious they should never end if the universe is unfolding as it should...
I admire your courage in believing in (to me) the equivalent of the tooth fairy.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:33 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,200,719 times
Quote:
I could say the same to you what with the whole fire, brimstone, inability to be 'good enough' and eternal torment mess.....

Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I could say the same to you what with the whole fire, brimstone, inability to be 'good enough' and eternal torment mess.....
No, such stuff is not in my package of beliefs. Mormons are among the few Christian denominations that believe almost everyone will go to heaven - probably even a lot of atheists - like it or not.

We do believe though that there are three levels of heaven, and many mansions in each of them. So people who are valiant in this life will be better positioned for eternal learning and progression, should they choose such a path, and will dwell closer to God than will those who chose to rebel against Him and to consistently move towards evil rather than righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality