Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:43 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,182,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Considering the theopolitical nature of the Abrahamics, especially among the two younger ones, I seriously any reconciliation will ever occur.

At ebst a nercious cease fire, ceertainly, but that would be better than what's happening now.
I understand your point. I also agree that it may never happen. But I do believe that it exists.

Eta, depending on what and who you believe, that will happen with some Jews. They will accept Jesus as the Messiah and Savior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,915,677 times
Quote:
Considering the theopolitical nature of the Abrahamics, especially among the two younger ones, I seriously any reconciliation will ever occur.

At ebst a nercious cease fire, ceertainly, but that would be better than what's happening now.
OK, showing my ignorance here, ....just what is a "nercious"?????? Could not find it in my OED, are you sure the term is of English derivation?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,430,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I understand your point. I also agree that it may never happen. But I do believe that it exists.

Eta, depending on what and who you believe, that will happen with some Jews. They will accept Jesus as the Messiah and Savior.
Of course people cnvert back and forth all the time between religions, and atheism as well, including Messianic Jews.

However, one need only look at the thousand plus sects of Christianity, plus the inherent theopolitical language contained in scripture (we are right, you are wrong type language), I seriously doubt that outside of strict secular laws, religions will never get along with one another.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,062,716 times
Quote:
As I noted above, Jew and Hebrew are often interchangable so yes, Jew can refer to race and/or religion.

One will not find an atheist describing themselves as "of Hebrew decent" they will say "Jewish" decent.

Once again Jews are not a race. When you talk about "Jewish descent" you are speaking of whether they are a Jew or not. You are not talking about their race. We do not all share common ancestry. Many of us are born Jews and many of us are Jews by choice. We come from all parts of the world and encompass many different races. They are not interchangeable. Judaism is passed on through the mother or you can convert to Judaism.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 11-11-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
We know that. But sometimes people find it convenient to believe otherwise.

I guess...... but it drives me nuts.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Once again Jews are not a race. When you talk about "Jewish descent" you are speaking of whether they are a Jew or not. You are not talking about their race. We do not all share common ancestry. Many of us are born Jews and many of us are Jews by choice. We come from all parts of the world and encompass many different races. They are not interchangeable. Judaism is passed on through the mother or you can convert to Judaism.
Wow, do I detect a hint of rage there?

I'm only repeating what I have learned, from Jews.

From what I understand, the Jewish religion didn't pop up in several different places at once. And let's face it, the Jewish religion is short on missionaries and prostylizing (thankfully), so the religion didn't spread like Christianity has. The religion didn;t spread so much as the people did.

One can therfor state that all Jews, who are not converts in their own lifetime, share a common ancestry somewhere in their family history. Jews outside of Israel are either converts or Diaspora, yes?

If I am incorrect, feel free to correct me. Only leave the rage at home, k?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I'm only repeating what I have learned, from Jews.

From what I understand, the Jewish religion didn't pop up in several different places at once. And let's face it, the Jewish religion is short on missionaries and prostylizing (thankfully), so the religion didn't spread like Christianity has. The religion didn;t spread so much as the people did.

One can therfor state that all Jews, who are not converts in their own lifetime, share a common ancestry somewhere in their family history. Jews outside of Israel are either converts or Diaspora, yes?

If I am incorrect, feel free to correct me. Only leave the rage at home,
k?
I am a Jew. You don't hear a hint of rage you hear a hint of frustration because I am explaining it again to you that we Jews are not a race.

Once you become a Jew you are a Jew. There is no difference in your Jewishness if you are a Jew by choice or a Jew by birth. There have been converts to Judaism since its inception. Judaism at one time in its history actually was very open to converts, but with the rise of Christianity that ended as it became against the law bring people into the fold of Judaism. Over time Judaism became very insular as a way to protect its community from the outside Christian hostility.

And all Jews outside of Israel are in the diaspora. And we are African, Indian, European, Middle eastern, Hispanic, Asian, etc.

Jews share a common religion, culture, language, and Judaism continues to be a vibrant and changing religion but we are not all the same race, yet we are a people hood. There is a connection to each Jew past and present.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am a Jew. You don't hear a hint of rage you hear a hint of frustration because I am explaining it again to you that we Jews are not a race.

Once you become a Jew you are a Jew. There is no difference in your Jewishness if you are a Jew by choice or a Jew by birth. There have been converts to Judaism since its inception. Judaism at one time in its history actually was very open to converts, but with the rise of Christianity that ended as it became against the law bring people into the fold of Judaism. Over time Judaism became very insular as a way to protect its community from the outside Christian hostility.

And all Jews outside of Israel are in the diaspora. And we are African, Indian, European, Middle eastern, Hispanic, Asian, etc.

Jews share a common religion, culture, language, and Judaism continues to be a vibrant and changing religion but we are not all the same race, yet we are a people hood. There is a connection to each Jew past and present.
And there is no ethnic relationship between all those groups of Jews.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM

22,850 posts, read 19,468,156 times
Quote:

feel free to correct me. Only leave the rage at home, k?
There is no rage in jazzymom post at all, just accurate information that contributes to the thread, and increases understanding.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,715,773 times
Quote:
And there is no ethnic relationship between all those groups of Jews.
Which just goes to show that Judaism is not a race or ethnicity, but a religion, which may be adopted by anyone of any persuasion. (See? I'm Jewish as well...and not one iota of rage!)

And, so far as this thread is concerned, pretty much the same thing holds true for Islam. It was founded in the region of Arabia, but anyone anywhere in the world can adopt it, so that there is no such thing as an Islamic race, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality