Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,699,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Mind showing where I claimed it was purely an ethnic thing?

This protion of the debate is centered around both enthic and religious Jews, and how one can be an ethnic "Jew" while not adhering to the religion.
Oy vey...are you reading your own postings? There's no such thing as an "ethnic Jew." Judaism has nothing to do with any given ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,179,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I am saying if you are born Jewish then you are Jewish. You do not share a race and you may or may not share an ethnicity. Jews are a multitude of races, Jews may be Sephardim or Azkhanazic. They may be in the Diaspora or live in Israel. What I am saying is we are to diverse to stick us in a slot of "what is a Jew". Yet we share so much but to be honest it is hard to explain. I just know as a Jew that I am connected to all Jews past and present. When the Holocaust Torah is read in my temple I am once connected again to all the souls who were buried along with that Torah during ww2.

Therefor we are ultra orthodox to liberal, we are humanists, secularists, religious, we don't always agree but we are Jews.

ethnicity is An ethnic group is a group, whose members identify with each other, through a common heritage that is real or assumed.

Race Race is a genetic distinction, and refers to people with shared ancestry and shared genetic traits. Not all Jews are the same color or have the same features.
But if we follow that definition and explanation for race, then being "African American" isn't a race, either.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
But if we follow that definition and explanation for race, then being "African American" isn't a race, either.
Whoever said that it was? There's a race whose original home continent was Africa.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,179,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Whoever said that it was? There's a race whose original home continent was Africa.
Let's not pretend to be foolish here.

Check any government document and you will see "Black or African American" listed as a race.

So, since you seem to agree with the referenced definition of race, list 3 races of people.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,058,526 times
Quote:
I don't recall stating that there was a "race".

I recall making the statement that there were ethnic Jews who were not religious Jews and vise versa, and then ending up on the pub floor being virtually stomped on by several people.

Originally Posted by AxisMundi
As I noted above, Jew and Hebrew are often interchangable so yes, Jew can refer to race and/or religion.

One will not find an atheist describing themselves as "of Hebrew decent" they will say "Jewish" decent.

RACE is why so many jumped in to correct you. Jews are not a race, we are a religion but it is inherited through the mother or one converts. Thus you may be a non religious Jew but a Jew non the less.

And you were not "virtually stomped" in any of these discussions.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,428,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Originally Posted by AxisMundi
As I noted above, Jew and Hebrew are often interchangable so yes, Jew can refer to race and/or religion.

One will not find an atheist describing themselves as "of Hebrew decent" they will say "Jewish" decent.

RACE is why so many jumped in to correct you. Jews are not a race, we are a religion but it is inherited through the mother or one converts. Thus you may be a non religious Jew but a Jew non the less.

And you were not "virtually stomped" in any of these discussions.
Oh yes, I did use race, didn't I.

I stand corrected.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM

22,821 posts, read 19,425,022 times
Quote:
Oh yes, I did use race, didn't I.

I stand corrected.
Thank you!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,372,267 times
Maybe I am confused? I always thought if you were born Jewish you are Jewish. As a child although you learned traditions and celbrated holidays at home, you also learned the ancient language and history at temple.

This I think is an entirely different experience than Christianity where a child is not considered Christian until he is baptised. A child of a jewish mother is Jewish at birth.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Maybe I am confused? I always thought if you were born Jewish you are Jewish.
Judaism recognizes the religion of the mother. If your father is Jewish but your mother isn't, you're not considered to be Jewish. Vice-versa, and you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality