Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
I read Greek. You're wrong. But bottom line is that if you are determined to read it differently you will. The Bible simply does not allow for extra-marital sex--gay or hetero. But your opinion of the text is just an indication of whether or not you care to live by the Bible or not.
Nobody lives by the bible....If they did they would be incarcerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM

66 posts, read 95,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Nobody lives by the bible....If they did they would be incarcerated.
Maybe by the OT Mosaic Law, yes. You and others sem to have a lack of understanding of what the Bible teaches. I guess that's not asurprise since it's easier to attack a strawman argument.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:10 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
I agree with wingnutt. Osteen is a joke. He emphasizes a health and wealth Gospel. He did an interview with Larry King where he would not say a Mormon is destined for Hell.

Seriously--he just doesn't preach the Gospel. Most of the time he only tells peoe what they want to hear. The fact that he got up the nerve to even say this about homosexuals is amazing for him.

Your comments make think you've probably never watched a single sermon of his or read a single one of his self-help books.
I most certainly ahve watched some of his shows, as well as Robertson and the Grahams as well.

I consider it Intell on the Enemy, when I can stomach it.

I see the same exact carp pushed by Osteen as the other Televangelists, merely packaged in bright wrapping paper and bows.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
Maybe by the OT Mosaic Law, yes. You and others sem to have a lack of understanding of what the Bible teaches. I guess that's not asurprise since it's easier to attack a strawman argument.
Firstly, you own Christ has been quoted, from your own scriptures, stating that you are supposed to be following OT laws.

Secondly, I suggest another read. The NT isn't an innocent treatise on love-thy-neighbor as you seem to think it is.

While no Book of Leviticus, we still see examples of god- mandated violence.

New Testament Cruelty

Old 11-11-2009, 02:19 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
Quote:

When you talk about "other" people not understanding the bible, do you mean everyone but yourself? Because if you'll take a little trip up to the Christianity forum, I think you'll find a lot of disagreement about what the bible means there among sincere devout believers. But anyway, congratulations on being the one person who was able to figure it all out.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Actually I probably have a very good understanding of the bible having read it several times in my years as a Christian. and I certainly see a lot of cherry picking of the faithful...Discarding the verses that they do not like and lauding the ones they do while still claiming that the bible is the word of god and inerrant.

I'm not saying that disregarding some of the more vicious old laws is a bad thing. Many should be done away with all together, as they are more fit for ancient tribes rather than for people today.

Do you really know what a strawman is?

Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'm sure he would have no problem accepting Gays so long as they donated big to his "church".

There is probably a special place in Hell for televangelists right next to the crooked polititians adn mass murderers. This guy has a penthouse in hell right next to Hitler and Ted Kennedy waiting for him.
Exactly.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
I read Greek. You're wrong. But bottom line is that if you are determined to read it differently you will. The Bible simply does not allow for extra-marital sex--gay or hetero. But your opinion of the text is just an indication of whether or not you care to live by the Bible or not.
It was written in Koine Greek (quite different from modern Greek), and it was written in a completely different culture 2000 years ago. Do you want to share what you understand about the prevailing schools of philosophical thought about nature at the time? Would you like to tell us what you know about the local fertility gods and goddesses and the types of worshipping practices that were common at the time?. What about cultural views of the time?

Of course the Bible allows for extramarital sex - for men at least. How can you ignore the concubines and slave girls, kidnapping and rape of virgin girls? But if you must insist on marriage, then fight for gay marriage if you care about gay people at all.

Should ALL women be condemned because SOME women 2 or 3 thousand years ago were temple prostitutes?

Should ALL homosexuals be condemned because 2 or 3 thousand years ago some men were male temple prostitutes?

Should ALL men today be condemned because some men commit rape?

The bottom line is, that if you are determined to read into it a condemnation of all homosexuals, you will.

Last edited by Ceist; 11-12-2009 at 04:28 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Because if you'll take a little trip up to the Christianity forum, I think you'll find a lot of disagreement about what the bible means there among sincere devout believers. But anyway, congratulations on being the one person who was able to figure it all out.
WHAT???? Disagreement on the Christianity forum?
No way dude!!! Fer Real????

(BTW - I'M the only one who has it all figured out - I don't even KNOW this new guy )

Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 AM

66 posts, read 95,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It was written in Koine Greek (quite different from modern Greek), and it was written in a completely different culture 2000 years ago. Do you want to share what you understand about the prevailing schools of philosophical thought about nature at the time? Would you like to tell us what you know about the local fertility gods and goddesses and the types of worshipping practices that were common at the time?. What about cultural views of the time?

Of course the Bible allows for extramarital sex - for men at least. How can you ignore the concubines and slave girls, kidnapping and rape of virgin girls? But if you must insist on marriage, then fight for gay marriage if you care about gay people at all.

Should ALL women be condemned because SOME women 2 or 3 thousand years ago were temple prostitutes?

Should ALL homosexuals be condemned because 2 or 3 thousand years ago some men were male temple prostitutes?

Should ALL men today be condemned because some men commit rape?

The bottom line is, that if you are determined to read into it a condemnation of all homosexuals, you will.
Do you read koine Greek? I do. The NT text is clear - no extramarutal sex. In the Ot some kings had concubines but it wasn't endorsed by God as much as it was simply tolerated.

I'm sorry...you're just reading your own presuppositions into it if want to make the claim that hoosexuality is anywhere endorsed in the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality