Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:33 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,597,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Those laws were for the Jews (OT). The NT is for Christians. The only one of those laws mentioned in the NT is regarding homosexual sex (Romans 1).
I just had a revelation here. If the OT doesn't apply, how come churches use Malachi to justify tithing? I have used it for stewardship campaigns - guess now I have to look to the NT and quote the passage where it says give everything away or else you won't get into heaven.

New BMW here I come
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,430,465 times
Quote:
Those laws were for the Jews (OT). The NT is for Christians. The only one of those laws mentioned in the NT is regarding homosexual sex (Romans 1).
In context, isn't Paul's first letter to the Romans specifically referring to the problem of converted Roman Christians who had reverted back to idolatrous worshipping of the local Roman pagan fertility gods?

Historically, some of the worshipping practices in places like Rome and Corinth at that time, involved ritual frenzied orgiastic sex in pagan temples where everyone was bonking everyone else regardless of gender, in honour of the fertility gods.

Where does Paul refer to a "law" against homosexuality in Romans 1? Plus, how does ritual same-sex sex, in the context of idolatrous worship, relate to homosexuals in general? Do you seriously think all these deconverted Christians Paul was referring to were actually homosexuals? It doesn't make sense to me to read it that way.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,430,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I knew that tidbit, do I get a prize? I love cookies (well cookies and beer actually but since it is early, I will settle with just cookies)
Cookies for you then!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:31 AM

65 posts, read 93,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I just had a revelation here. If the OT doesn't apply, how come churches use Malachi to justify tithing? I have used it for stewardship campaigns - guess now I have to look to the NT and quote the passage where it says give everything away or else you won't get into heaven.

New BMW here I come

That's a misuse in most cases.

The principle applies that we should trust God--and Malachi is the only place where scripture tells us we SHOULD test God....but no, we are not required to tithe 10% as directed in the OT.

On the contrary, we should give much more if we can afford it. It's about means--and your heart before God.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,577 times
Quote:
Yes, those were the laws for the Jews in the OT.

Jesus summed up the law in, Love God & love others. Yes, I do do that.
Firstly, as noted above, your Rabbi Christ stated that the old laws where to be upheld, so Leviticus is suppsoed to apply to you folks as well.

Secodly, I would hardly call stoneing someone who has already been raped "love".

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,429,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNutt View Post
That's a misuse in most cases.

The principle applies that we should trust God--and Malachi is the only place where scripture tells us we SHOULD test God....but no, we are not required to tithe 10% as directed in the OT.

On the contrary, we should give much more if we can afford it. It's about means--and your heart before God.
There was just a news story bouncing around this forum about a church employee who was fired becasue she couldn't tithe, as the church required tithing.

Most RC churches I know of also require tithing as well as some Baptist churches I know of.

So, if not Malichi, what passage requires tithing...

Or even churches and clergy for that matter?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
There was just a news story bouncing around this forum about a church employee who was fired becasue she couldn't tithe, as the church required tithing.

Most RC churches I know of also require tithing as well as some Baptist churches I know of.

So, if not Malichi, what passage requires tithing...

Or even churches and clergy for that matter?

It's usually a mis-teaching on the topic of tithe. Malachi is just one of the passages that's preached in most sermons on stewardship.

The general attitude of the NT is that it all belongs to God--and we are just caretakers. It all belongs to God.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:32 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,881,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
In context, isn't Paul's first letter to the Romans specifically referring to the problem of converted Roman Christians who had reverted back to idolatrous worshipping of the local Roman pagan fertility gods?

Historically, some of the worshipping practices in places like Rome and Corinth at that time, involved ritual frenzied orgiastic sex in pagan temples where everyone was bonking everyone else regardless of gender, in honour of the fertility gods.

Where does Paul refer to a "law" against homosexuality in Romans 1? Plus, how does ritual same-sex sex, in the context of idolatrous worship, relate to homosexuals in general? Do you seriously think all these deconverted Christians Paul was referring to were actually homosexuals? It doesn't make sense to me to read it that way.
No, Paul does not refer to a "law" against homosexual sex. He does however, say it is wrong. When coupled with the OT Law, it's clear this is not God's plan for us.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM

5,544 posts, read 7,153,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
If gays aren't god's best, then why did god make them so?

To help populate Catholic Church ministries?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Why does God make anyone that sins? My innate desire for women doesn't excuse me for adultery or sex outside of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality