Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,366,588 times

Advertisements

Why do certian christians abhor gays? I can only guess that if the "one was born homosexual" that would mean that god has made an error and that would undermine the whole christian/muslim faith because God does not make "mistakes" I look at it this way, there are people born gay, just like in the animal kingdom and God did not make a mistake with them. It has never occurred to the fundamentalist that if it was not for gay people their would be a bigger population probelm then there is now. Also is'nt it written "love thy neighbor like you would love thyself?" For the record I'm not gay but I do have friends that happen to be gay. I love and respect them as I would my straight friends what does that make me?
Animal sexual behaviour

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 PM

33,637 posts, read 37,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You might not wanna offend cultured diamonds like sanspeur
Cultured diamonds? What are you inferring sir?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,430,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You might not wanna offend cultured diamonds like sanspeur
Oh, dear, well, guess I'd better referain from saying boobs then.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why do certian christians abhor gays? I can only guess that if the "one was born homosexual" that would mean that god has made an error and that would undermine the whole christian/muslim faith because God does not make "mistakes" I look at it this way, there are people born gay, just like in the animal kingdom and God did not make a mistake with them. It has never occurred to the fundamentalist that if it was not for gay people their would be a bigger population probelm then there is now. Also is'nt it written "love thy neighbor like you would love thyself?" For the record I'm not gay but I do have friends that happen to be gay. I love and respect them as I would my straight friends what does that make me?
Animal sexual behaviour

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IMHO...

Just like peer reviewed scinces, some Christians can convince themselves that their fantasies are the reality and that those sciences are wrong. As illsutrated on this forum, some Christians explain away homosexuality as a "choice of free will" to get around their belief that their god created everything, and everyone, and therefor erred in creating gays.

No, I see three basic reasons why gays are so villified, and those who villify gays can be under the influence of any one of these catagories, or a combination of any two, or all three.

Their scripture says, especially now in modern versions, that homosexuality is a sin. Even if a Christians doesn't labor under the other two catagories I list, this one reason is a strong enough motivator on it's own to ignore simple peer reviewed findings on the matter. So a Christian who is under the influence of their scripture will, of course, not wish to appear any less Christian than their neighbors.

If you ever get a chance to watch an anti-gay rally, People Watch. Their faces and expressions range from twisted, ugly hate to people who fall under the above catagory, who an experienced People Watcher can see plain on their face the lack of "heart" they are putting into the effort, or even a "what am I doing here" type of expression in their eyes.

And of course, there is the good ol' homophobia, which more times than not stems from a certain sexual identity crisis. Gays simple threaten this type of person's heterosexuality. It makes them neverious as either they are in complete denial, and/or are unsure about themselves. Christians who do not fall into this catagory tend to be quite confident in their heterosexuality.

And finally, a large factor in this debate that is often overlooked, and especially gathers in non-Christians, is the "Ick Factor". Some people simply can't get over their facination with what people do behind closed doors, and what is going on between people's naughty bits. People who fall into this catagory simply cannot get around the sex part to understand that gays are looking for the same exact things we are in a relationship, and that intimacy is but one small part of the equation.

Strangly enough, people who fall into the above catagory have no trouble with other types of people who fall under an Ick heading, liek really old people, or really, really fat people.

Well, that's my two cents and a wooden nickle.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:55 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,874,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Their scripture says, especially now in modern versions, that homosexuality is a sin. Even if a Christians doesn't labor under the other two catagories I list, this one reason is a strong enough motivator on it's own to ignore simple peer reviewed findings on the matter. So a Christian who is under the influence of their scripture will, of course, not wish to appear any less Christian than their neighbors.
Well part of it too is that this is the flavor du jour. The gays are pushing for rights, so some Christians are pushing back just as hard. If the gays were content to stay in the closet, these Christians wouldn't have an issue with homosexuality.

I have heard them say that the problem with homosexuality is that it's an ongoing sin--not the kind where you fall off the wagon, repent, and don't do it again, but the kind where you keep sinning and you're unrepentant.

My answer to that has to do with marriage. Jesus said that if you divorce your wife, and she remarries, even though she's divorced, that this is considered adultery. Ouch, ouch, ouch. And yet, unrepentant Christians all over the world break this one every day. Perhaps I don't understand the meaning of this scripture as well as these unrepentant Christians, many of whom are fundamentalists who hate gays, but it seems clear enough to me. I'm not picking on divorced people, because I soon will be myself, and I'm not picking on divorced and remarried people, because if I get a chance and I fall in love again, I'll probably remarry. I'm just asking people who are so deadset against homosexuality because the scriptures are clear that it's a sin, to take a look at their own sins, because those are the only sins that are any of your business.

I'm not happy about what my husband did, but his main sin was in lying to me and misleading me, and treating me poorly at times throughout our 23 year marriage, "because I was frustrated at being with the wrong partner." I have a couple of friends who think that I should stay married to him and try to work it out with antigay counseling--needless to say, they're not the ones I call when I need a shoulder to cry on.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well part of it too is that this is the flavor du jour. The gays are pushing for rights, so some Christians are pushing back just as hard. If the gays were content to stay in the closet, these Christians wouldn't have an issue with homosexuality.

I have heard them say that the problem with homosexuality is that it's an ongoing sin--not the kind where you fall off the wagon, repent, and don't do it again, but the kind where you keep sinning and you're unrepentant.

My answer to that has to do with marriage. Jesus said that if you divorce your wife, and she remarries, even though she's divorced, that this is considered adultery. Ouch, ouch, ouch. And yet, unrepentant Christians all over the world break this one every day. Perhaps I don't understand the meaning of this scripture as well as these unrepentant Christians, many of whom are fundamentalists who hate gays, but it seems clear enough to me. I'm not picking on divorced people, because I soon will be myself, and I'm not picking on divorced and remarried people, because if I get a chance and I fall in love again, I'll probably remarry. I'm just asking people who are so deadset against homosexuality because the scriptures are clear that it's a sin, to take a look at their own sins, because those are the only sins that are any of your business.

I'm not happy about what my husband did, but his main sin was in lying to me and misleading me, and treating me poorly at times throughout our 23 year marriage, "because I was frustrated at being with the wrong partner." I have a couple of friends who think that I should stay married to him and try to work it out with antigay counseling--needless to say, they're not the ones I call when I need a shoulder to cry on.
Firstly let me say I can sympathize with your relationship to an extent. Our relationship headed downhill fast, but we managed to stay married for 22 years. But since the youngest is now of an age of majority, well, he acted as a glue that the grandbaby just doesn't replace.

And perfectly agreed, scripture is heavily cherypicked.

Ignoring the argument of jsut what was intended and how scripture has evolved more and more to clearly state "homsoexuality", there will come a time in the future when that is cheerypicked as well, as as ignored as slavery, Manifest Destiny, marriage, and the other biblical morals and doctrine that have fallen out of fashion.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,077,010 times
Anyone who cares to write a book on the process is welcome to the following title: From Pole to Hole- How I Ungayed Myself

Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 PM

238 posts, read 403,764 times
Seriously though, whether being gay is a choice or not or kinda a choice. What is wrong with being gay? Even if being gay is a choice, it doesn't mean that Christians or any other religion is correct in saying that being gay is wrong.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:04 PM

22 posts, read 28,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
What I want to know is why folks just can't leave these people alone. They just want to live their lives in peace like the rest of us.
I agree. I have friends who are gay, and they happen to be some of the best people I know.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,694,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Isn't popping wood a reflex? That's what it comes down to. It's just popping wood.

[/b]
Yes but after you're cured and continue to "pop wood" for the same sex, you can easily blame those sexual temptations on the devil. So it seems like a homosexual is never quite cured and must constantly pray away the gay.

Of course, if you were bisexual from day one, you can adapt to either sex (but nobody has to know your little secret). A bisexual religious person can pose as a successful member of the Exodus Program, with hopes that truly gay members will join. When you think about it, it's kind of like acting as a shill for god. Now you're straight, ain't god great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality