Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,430,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Great analogy, I wonder if Christians will get it?
No, I fully expect even more bible-spam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,430,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
For all it may be worth, my personal opinion on the whole homosexual thing is that if you're an atheist, or at least non-Christian, then why should it matter to you how or with whom you have sexual relations as long as it's adults, it's consensual, it's done privately, it's legal where you are, and you're prepared if you're 'outed' to live with the reactions of others who choose to think such behavior is immoral, unnatural, and disgusting?

But if you profess to be Christian and to believe in life after death and God's judgments, then you may have a serious problem that needs to be addressed because many Christians believe that sexual relations outside of marriage (regardless of the gender of the people involved) is a serious sin in the eyes of God.

I personally think that the major problem with the homosexual 'issue' is in the definition of "homosexual" (or that once happy but now hijacked word "gay"). It matters not if you think someone has been born homosexual or not, or if one has 'tendencies' towards homosexuality or not, if one is not considered "homosexual" or "gay" unless one actually physically engages in sexual relations with someone of the same gender.

My defintion of a homosexual is a person who physically engages in sexual relations with someone of the same gender.

Christians believe that there is a process called "repentance" whereby those who have sinned can be cleansed from that sin, and, because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, freed from its spiritual and eternal consequences. But sincere genuine repentance includes forsaking the sin.

Physically engaging in sexual relations, regardless of how strong the temptation/urge may be, and regardless of the gender of the people involved, is A CHOICE!

As I see it, those who struggle to keep God's commandments of complete chastity outside of traditional marriage have just as difficult a struggle regardless of whether their temptation is to have sexual relations with people of the same or the opposite gender. It's not an exclusively 'homosexual' thing.

So, cease to have sexual relations outside of marriage, regardless of the gender of your partner, and after a time of proving you've done it, as far as I, a Christian, am concerned, you've ceased to be a homosexual.

And yes, you've changed...
Your "personal definition" of someone who is homosexual is as skewed, narrow, and innaccurate as they come.

There are people who engage in homsoexual activity merely to get their rocks off. These people are not considered homosexual, nor are they going to seek out the same gender for lasting relationships, such as a marriage.

To be considered homosexual by people that matter in this discussion, scienctists and professionals in the fields that study the human condition, one has to have not only a sexual attraction to the same gender, but find a fulfilling relationship with people of the same gender as well.

Homosexuality isn't about what people do with their crotches.

And even those who run "ex-gay" ministries, and those gays who live as heteroes BOTH admit that this is living a lie, that those people are STILL attracted to the same sex.

I find it absolutely disgusting, horendious, and draconian that people are made to live a lie because of an intirpritation of an ancient manuscript. Such a relationship is unfullfilling for both partners, effects any children made or brought into that relationship who are brought up in a household deviod of love and true affection between their parents, and relationships that tend to end in divorce as well.

I find coercing, bullying, or otherwise convincing someone to live a lie simply because of religion no different than the Muslims hanging gay teen boys.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM

33,637 posts, read 37,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
The extreme left's agenda to get gay marriage legalized certainly doesn't help. It was voted down in the two states that one would think it would pass. Personally, I think you should be allowed to marry whoever you please. But there I go again, it's against my religion. I can't help wanting people to be happy, though.
Is that the way you think society should work? ( majority always calls the shots) Think about your country's history and how things would be today if that were some kind of rule.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 PM

145 posts, read 225,751 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Is that the way you think society should work? ( majority always calls the shots) Think about your country's history and how things would be today if that were some kind of rule.
Where did I say that I think society should work that way? Isn't that exactly how it happened? I didn't say I agreed with it, did I?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:24 PM

33,637 posts, read 37,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
Where did I say that I think society should work that way? Isn't that exactly how it happened? I didn't say I agreed with it, did I?
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you said...I'm all for equal rights.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM

145 posts, read 225,751 times
I am for equal rights, also.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,571,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I asked these questions elsewhere and think they should be asked here considering the frequent topics on gays around here.

We know that there are some Christians who believe that gay people are not born gay. They believe such people choose to be gay. Some of these same Christians will also glow about the transforming power of god which is able to change the hearts of men ad convert them into children of god. They believe that gay people can "change" if they just get god into their system. So what I want to know if they believe all of this, are there any of these Christians (I guess the women) who will date or even marry a person who claimed they were once flamboyantly gay but now they are changed because they are now Christian? Let's say they are even disease free.

I guess what I am really asking is, would these same Christians actually take a "converted" gay person serious? Would there still be some reservation and suspicion ESPECIALLY if the person still retains effeminate behavior (if they are a man)? After all the talk about gays being able to change, do they REALLY believe in their hearts of hearts such people actually change? Why or why not?
Methinks it's like being an alcoholic...they fall off the wagon occasionally...kinda' like a man stepping out on his wife.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM

42 posts, read 80,298 times
if you ask me its all for attention

Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,974,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God has the power to change anyone's heart, so yes with His strength I believe anyone can over come this sin, and yes I believe it is a choice. I know someone has over this and turned his life around.
Maybe their engrams just haven't been released yet. More auditing is in order. Remember, L. Ron saw that 75 million years ago Xenu brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and detonated hydrogen bombs in the volcanoes. The thetans then clustered together, stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to do this today.

Thousands of people testify that they have rediscovered their inner Thetan and gotten rid of their engrams via auditing. Auditing has the power. You too are a Thetan. Why can't you just accept that and join Cruise and Travolta? Makes as much sense.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-19-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,385,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Your "personal definition" of someone who is homosexual is as skewed, narrow, and innaccurate as they come.
Not surprisingly, I totally disagree with you with the possible exception of the "narrow" part. Of what practical use is a definition if it is so broad it encompasses a wide variety of things that overlap what it is trying to describe? The things you mention as part of homosexuality are not exclusively so, they are just part of human nature.

Everyone has preferences/tendencies towards certain things. It is my opinion that the same as most people choose to engage in sexual activities with people of the other gender, homosexuals choose to have sexual relations with people of the same gender.

As I see it, THAT is the only difference between homosexuals and other people in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality