Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,845,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My wife doesn't ask me for permission to spend $$ even though I'm the primary breadwinner at the moment by a country mile. The reasons:

1) I trust her and know that she's financially responsible and fiscally conservative. She never (well, almost never) buys useless stuff. On the occasions she does, which are rare, it is usually stuff she enjoys wearing or whatever, and it's no more than I spend on myself for gadgets, etc. And, she never hides expenditures from me (or I from her).

2) She respects that significant / unusual expenditures should be mutually discussed, and I would get her input about those just as much as she would. In other words, everything is by mutual agreement, whether explicit or implicit. It's not a question of "permission", as it's not unilateral either way.

Seems to me that anytime "permission" must literally be obtained, it's not mutual.

In a marriage, finances are often the primary source of conflict ... being of a similar mindset on that score is probably more important than all the other imagined areas of compatibility put together, in my experience and observation.
I agree, Mordant. My husband and I are both frugal. Neither of us like spending money on anything we don't have to buy. I hate shopping, and only buy my clothes at thrift shops, which my husband loves. He can walk around with a $20 dollar bill in his wallet for weeks, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I agree, Mordant. My husband and I are both frugal. Neither of us like spending money on anything we don't have to buy. I hate shopping, and only buy my clothes at thrift shops, which my husband loves. He can walk around with a $20 dollar bill in his wallet for weeks, lol.
Like my wife, you appear to be one of those "unicorns": a woman who hates shopping. I'll bet your husband pinches himself sometimes just to make sure it's not a dream.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,845,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Like my wife, you appear to be one of those "unicorns": a woman who hates shopping. I'll bet your husband pinches himself sometimes just to make sure it's not a dream.
He kinda does, lol.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,247,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I believe a dual-career role marriage would make it tough on having children. There obviously would not be anyone around to watch after kids unless you hire an Au pair,it would not be a normal way to raise a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
Part of what's wrong with kids, today.
Mom and dad think they have to have the flatscreen and the matching SUVs.
They raised a litter of kids that think they're entitled to the Xbox and cellphone.
Spend to work, work to spend.....
Nothing wrong with mom staying home with the kids and dad working.
You don't HAVE to have the newest and biggest of everything.
That may fit the anti Working Mom narrative, but the reality is that most of us are doing this so our families will have incidental luxuries like emergency savings, college savings, retirement savings, and the means to help aging parents who didn't have the foresight and/or the ability to plan for their own retirement expenses. Husband not having to work 2.5 jobs to fund such things.

It's also nice to finally have the extra cash for book fairs, field trips, class parties, train fair to visit the museums now and then, maybe dinner out once in a while. Non-essentials for sure, but there's nothing with making life a little less dreary with such treats. And it's nice for my husband to no longer work 2.5 jobs.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:57 PM

77 posts, read 82,289 times
Wow, just wow..
I just don't understand how people believe there is a magical person floating around in the sky that is going
to "provide" for your needs. Hows that working out for the starving, dying children in third world countries?
Such <bleep>...

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-24-2017 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality