Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying there is or isn't... but what if our sentience survives death in some form but there is no one directing the show?

If so, that could explain why there are ghost sightings, near death and reincarnation experiences and also explain why religion is all over the place without any single obvious source and or/why "god" sends seemingly random help, if at all?

Could it even be possible for sentience to survive, and if so could it be a evolutionary process?

What would the consequences be for a being that existed beyond mortal death but for no apparent purpose or greater goal?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
[b]Could it be possible there is an afterlife but no god?
[/B

Well, the life I am presently living does seem to occupy a lot of my time, I seldomly give much thought to either an afterlife or a pastlife, they are both, if real, out of my control.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm not saying there is or isn't... but what if our sentience survives death in some form but there is no one directing the show?

If so, that could explain why there are ghost sightings, near death and reincarnation experiences and also explain why religion is all over the place without any single obvious source and or/why "god" sends seemingly random help, if at all?

Could it even be possible for sentience to survive, and if so could it be a evolutionary process?

What would the consequences be for a being that existed beyond mortal death but for no apparent purpose or greater goal?

What are your thoughts?
I think you're grasping at straws. I could come up with several different imaginative hypotheses for why people think they see ghosts etc, and none of them involve an afterlife.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Is there a difference between heaven and utopia then?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Our believes state that our Spiritual aspects, and even the "afterlife" (various heavens including our own) are echoes of this world and our first incarnation, an echo of our birth cry, so to speak. Our believes also state that the gods themselves (including jehovah, btw) are also echoes, echoes shouted to the universe through the combined will and many people over time.

According to our beliefs as well, most ghost sitings are the "echo of echoes", an imprint of a person or event upon this world that hasn't disipated or "crossed over".

As for religion, there are many motivating factors there. Some stem from the inherent human need to Know, Know about ourselves, where we came from, and Why things happen. Primitive man, wile as intelligent as we, lacked the tools to understand the mechanics behind thunder, for example, so many cultures, from the American Thunderbird to Thor developed. Another motivating factor behind relgiion is theopolitical in anture as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I think you're grasping at straws. I could come up with several different imaginative hypotheses for why people think they see ghosts etc, and none of them involve an afterlife.

All explanations of a religous and "supernatural" nature are "grasping at straws". Yet, they have been part of the human experience for as long as there have been humans. If it was so obvious there was nothing to it, you'd think we would have abandonded it thousands of years ago.

I'm wondering if humans could have evolved naturally and randomly but somehow leave part of our sentience in the environment, maybe as some as of yet undetected energy created by a fluke of evolution. Sure there's no proof, but how could you prove or disprove something like that?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,526 times
the belief in reincarnation, karma, the immortality of the soul are basically atheist forms of a believe in an afterlife which demands no God.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I think it's possible that there's no one IN PARTICULAR in charge. That would explain alot, right?

It could be that there's love in the universe & that it has a certain influence but obviously there's no DIVINE LOVE making ANYTHING FAIR or LOVING on a regular basis. As to whether anything divine or otherwise will corelate into an afterlife...we are HERE.

If we spend our waking moments thinking about dreaming (if a dream state can be analogous to an afterlife), then we may be wasting our moments here, where good work needs to be done, regardless of expectations or affiliation.

*Good thread, Chango*

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
All explanations of a religous and "supernatural" nature are "grasping at straws". Yet, they have been part of the human experience for as long as there have been humans. If it was so obvious there was nothing to it, you'd think we would have abandonded it thousands of years ago.
Without scientific reasoning being advanced enough, primitive people tried to explain away the things they saw in their world by using the supernatural as an excuse. With the constant march forward by science, more and more people are abandoning primitive, illogical ideas about gods and the supernatural and realizing that it's all a crock.

So yeah, it's being steadily abandoned. Just because you're not keeping up with the program doesn't mean others won't wake up and smell the scientific coffee.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Without scientific reasoning being advanced enough, primitive people tried to explain away the things they saw in their world by using the supernatural as an excuse. With the constant march forward by science, more and more people are abandoning primitive, illogical ideas about gods and the supernatural and realizing that it's all a crock.

So yeah, it's being steadily abandoned. Just because you're not keeping up with the program doesn't mean others won't wake up and smell the scientific coffee.
The supposed program explains a lot, but definitely not everything. It's like I tell ya Merc... You have to see it to believe it, but once you do it becomes obvious that more is going on in the world than just the things a scientist can currently do controlled tests on.

The problem is figuring out what "it" really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality