Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:20 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
On another forum I remarked that an Obama speech about reading the Bible amd coming to different conclusions than the ones so often claimes was pretty much in line with what the doubters say.

That's very much the impression I get. They don't believe in the Bible as it is but as they think it ought to be. Well, we see it here. People rolling up with some personalized version of Christianity that seems to come from no-where other than their own head.

Trouble is that 'love' can mean whatever you want it to mean - even burning unbelievers at the stake for the good of their souls.
You and I can agree on several things about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL9qFmeBHPQ

Old 11-22-2009, 09:22 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I knew of most of those facts but had never read nor seen them presented at the same time or together.

GOOD SHOW!!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:50 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp, 30 July, 1816

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
"and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."

Hi Sanspeur
Do you know what primitive and genuine doctrines he was referring to?

Is he speaking of the bible?
I’ve only had one cup of coffee, so the answer may be obvious but I’m not seeing it.

Thanks,
Aeroman

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Here is the entire letter....The quote is near the end of the letter...

Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, 1823

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
Thanks. I'll read it.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 11-23-2009, 10:07 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Thanks. I'll read it.

Cheers,
Aeroman
Another good one is “The Faiths of Our Fathers” by A. J. Mapp, Jr. It covers them in a balanced method, never really giving an answer to the Agnostic/Atheist question but giving a clear view of the non Christian views of several of the Founding fathers. It is a short book close to 200 pages, but an easy and interesting read.
As best I can remember it has a number of Jefferson's letters to Adams and the return letters from Adams.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
I'd recommend the writings of Thomas Paine to anyone who wishes to truly understand the founding fathers, as his influence was far greater than most people realize. I like his works too because he appeals to my inner deist. (Although I am not a "true" deist in that I do not believe in a creator entity, but I do espouse a futilty of religions should something as such exist)
One thing that we must remember is to keep in context the time and issues of the founding fathers. A concept for a governemnt, not governed by absolute monarchy, theocracy, totalitairan parliment or tribal lords was innovative and not popular. Most, but not all, colonists were from Enlgand (although there were Spanish & french colonies and spanish, french and other European citizenry living within the enlglish colonies.) BUT So much of the concern was how to make a government that was NOT LIke England's. And a big part of that had to be centered around the seperation of church and state, asthe Church of England was very powerful and influential at the time (Not to mention the struggling influence of Rome on the rest of Europe) Keep in mind too that this is post reformation, post Renaisance, post dark ages, so the influence of the Church was waning, but if the year were 1775, then the founding fathers had to look at masses of people who still wanted to seek refuge and security in a theocratic states, for whatever the reason.
I would point out too that religious freedom was an issue, because England had adopted the Church of England as an official religion, the founding fathers wished to avoid having an official religion.
Interesting fact: Look at the colony which had the closest thing to theocracy: Early on, they had laws controlling each aspect of a person's life, all based on religion, and this included a ban on the celebration of Christmas and the death penalty for those accused of practicing witchcraft.
It is the Puritans of Massachusetts, those nice loving Christians that followed the nice, loving Pilgrams, who wanted a theocracy and for a while, more or less had one.
Thankfully, our founding fathers brought about the greatest document we have: The Constitution (Sorry, not the Bible) It protects us from theocratic rule of groups like the pilgrams, the branch dividians, the church of christ , the Vatican etc

Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You and I can agree on several things about religion.
Thanks. The more we can agree the better I like it. I really do prefer to amicably discuss than irascibly wrangle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality