Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,696,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
So much for trying to make some people smile! It was aimed towards those people who do believe in a "God", or a higher power. The fact that many of you take it out of the spirit that was posted in, is quite sad.

It is far from propaganda on my behalf. Just a story/fable to make some folks smile, and think a little better about stuff going on in their lives right now.
Well fyi then...it would probably have been better received if you put it in the forum of all the people who actually believe in Jesus. Out here in the not-necessarily-Jesus-believer area, the reception for something like this will get remarks from non-believers.

It's all in properly selecting your audience.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,420,482 times
Quote:
So much for trying to make some people smile! It was aimed towards those people who do believe in a "God", or a higher power. The fact that many of you take it out of the spirit that was posted in, is quite sad.

It is far from propaganda on my behalf. Just a story/fable to make some folks smile, and think a little better about stuff going on in their lives right now.
If it was "directed to people who believe in god", then you should've put it on the "Christians Only" board.

On this board, which you know is for general debates by everyone, it is a clear attempt at prostilyzing.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,370,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
If it was "directed to people who believe in god", then you should've put it on the "Christians Only" board.

On this board, which you know is for general debates by everyone, it is a clear attempt at prostilyzing.
Actually, I didn't know this board was for general debates. I thought it was just a general Religion board. Plus, I was clearly not attempting to change someone's view or their religion for crying out loud! I'm not into cramming my views down people's throats!

If it needs to be moved to the Christian section then so be it... have it moved.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,850,356 times
Quote:
I am not a 'religious' person, but I do have many friends on here who are. I thought of you when I read this, and hope it will make you smile!

A little girl wanted to know what the United States looked like. Her Father tore a map of the United States out of his magazine and cut it into small pieces.
He gave them to her and said, 'Go into the other room and see if you can put this together. This will show you our whole country today..'
After some minutes, she returned and handed him the map, correctly fitted and taped together. The father was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly.
'Oh,' she said, 'on the other side of the paper is a picture of Jesus.
When I got all of Jesus back where He belonged, then our country just came together.'
A cute story but...

... Jesus lived in Israel 2000 years ago; everything he said and did was to the "chosen" people of Israel. 500 years later the Holy Roman Empire decided Jesus loved them the most. Then the Kings of Europe. Now us? I'm pretty sure the Mexicans think Jesus loves them more too.

Jesus won't save the country, I promise. It's people will.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It is sad she had to go to a picture of something make believe rather than know enough geography to put a map of our country back together.
It's sad you believe Jesus is make believe, when He is the only person in the universe that can give you life everlasting.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A cute story but...

... Jesus lived in Israel 2000 years ago; everything he said and did was to the "chosen" people of Israel. 500 years later the Holy Roman Empire decided Jesus loved them the most. Then the Kings of Europe. Now us? I'm pretty sure the Mexicans think Jesus loves them more too.

Jesus won't save the country, I promise. It's people will.
Jesus, the God that authored the Bible tells us in the Scriptures. That the United States will not be saved, and in fact, it will be destroyed in one hours time by it's enemies.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Quote:
Actually, I didn't know this board was for general debates. I thought it was just a general Religion board. Plus, I was clearly not attempting to change someone's view or their religion for crying out loud! I'm not into cramming my views down people's throats!

If it needs to be moved to the Christian section then so be it... have it moved.
In theory this board is called "Religion and Philosophy" so is about discussing Religion and Philosophy.

In practice it has almost nothing to do with Philosophy and mostly seems to be about arguing against Christianity. This doesn't have to be atheism or agnosticism. Whether you be Jew or Buddhist or Taoist or Sikh all are welcome here (okay maybe not Muslims or Scientologists) to try to make people abandon Christianity. And some apparently succeed. There's some thread where people compare notes on how many they've gotten to leave Christianity through argument.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:40 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's cute if maybe a bit corny.

I think some are misreading it though. It sounds like this was a map he cut apart from a magazine and not a jigsaw puzzle with each piece conforming to state boundaries. Young kids often connect more with pictures of people and animals more than they do to pictures of odd geometric shapes. If the kid is under say 9 it's not that odd she may choose to do the picture of the person instead. Or that she isn't aces at where every state fits together in some map torn apart randomly. Also kids sometimes enjoy seeing things their parents don't see. So it could be a way to show him up, seeing something in the picture he didn't.

As a real story of something happening it's obviously a bit implausible. I'm not sure why there would be a map of the US on one side of a magazine and a picture of Jesus on the other. There are churches that advertise in magazines, but usually not with just a picture of Jesus without any words. Also the father would presumably have noticed the other side of the map. And the message that putting Jesus back in our life puts the country together is perhaps understandably offensive for some. Possibly offensive to me as I see Jesus as greatly more important than this nation or its concerns.

Good points. You note that the combination is implausible. Perhaps it would not be worth the effort of finding out whether any magazine had the USA on one side and Jesus on the other. It does say 'cut' rather than torn and I'd suppose it would be a better lesson to cut along the state- lines rather than at random, but, yeah. Who knows. The whole story came across to me as a Through the letterbox tract, no matter how saccharine the Little Girl scenario was.

Whether apochryphal or not, the message is clear and is a rhetorical trick, of course. Sorry to have got up the poster's nose. I accept that it was intended as a charming and rather amusing story. But I stand my view that what it actually was is just theist propaganda tied up with pink ribbon.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-25-2009 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,934,124 times
Quote:
I am not a 'religious' person, but I do have many friends on here who are. I thought of you when I read this, and hope it will make you smile!

A little girl wanted to know what the United States looked like. Her Father tore a map of the United States out of his magazine and cut it into small pieces.
He gave them to her and said, 'Go into the other room and see if you can put this together. This will show you our whole country today..'
After some minutes, she returned and handed him the map, correctly fitted and taped together. The father was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly.
'Oh,' she said, 'on the other side of the paper is a picture of Jesus.
When I got all of Jesus back where He belonged, then our country just came together.'
Really? I'd heard that on the other side was a picture of Bernie Maddof.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,934,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It's sad you believe Jesus is make believe, when He is the only person in the universe that can give you life everlasting.
In historical fact, the introduction or administration of a Christian overlay in government has inevitably resulted in chaos, persecution, cruelty, rape, plunder, murder and incest, not to mention priestly pedophilia and Churchly excesses.

Hardly the stuff of societal rejuvenation, huh? "Jesus is the only one who can save America!" loudly blasted from the blackened vans with speakers on top. "Mandatory Church services commence at 6:00 pm tonight!"

the nationalists on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mumphrey/9919966/ - broken link)

(A similar pogrom currently exists in the fundamentalist theocratic Islamic states right now. If you don't show up, they'll stone you for sure! And of course, everyone thus protectively claims to be an ardent Muslim....).

Putting this country back together requires independent critical thinking, and a determined "get off the couch, stupid!" response. A clear understanding of the realities of human cultural issues, coupled with a rational approach to solving them, will correct our long-established issues.

Of course, that ain't gonna happen, and therefore, we're doomed. But not by biblical prophesy; just by common sense.

All happily conducted under the aegis of religious tolerance, or the crushingly patronizing "We Know Best" attitude so loved by shrill Christian acolytes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality