Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2023, 09:25 AM
 
15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Reputation: 8543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
You have described our difference.

Although I do believe God is within me, I am separate from The Creator.

I believe my God is separate and distinct from me.


I believe I was created by God, for His good pleasure.
Can you explain:
what is the difference between God and The Creator?
How can what is within you also be separate from you?

I think sometimes there is a confusion when we use different terms.
In vedantic view Brhman is what you might call spirit. It is pure Existance, uncreated, and abundance.
God is Ishvara, the power that is drawn from Brhaman and manifests as the world. Brhaman creates nothing, although it exists in all creation, because it exists everywhere, it is unmodified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2023, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Can you explain:
what is the difference between God and The Creator?
How can what is within you also be separate from you?

I think sometimes there is a confusion when we use different terms.
In vedantic view Brhman is what you might call spirit. It is pure Existance, uncreated, and abundance.
God is Ishvara, the power that is drawn from Brhaman and manifests as the world. Brhaman creates nothing, although it exists in all creation, because it exists everywhere, it is unmodified.

God is the Creator. The Creator is God IMO.

The Spirit is like the wind.

I do also believe in " a beginning " before all that which is created. Maybe that's where we differ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2023, 11:20 AM
 
15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
God is the Creator. The Creator is God IMO.

The Spirit is like the wind.

I do also believe in " a beginning " before all that which is created. Maybe that's where we differ.
Thank you for the response.
Spirit is like the wind in the sense it exists unseen, but we infer its presence?
Are you saying God and creator are the same, he is a creator God?. No difference between the two.
We differ in more than one ways.
Your position is not unique, many religions, including different sects of Hinduism align with similar cosmology.
Vedanta also is reflected in several religious thoughts both eastern and western. Spiritual paths are many, as individual as we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2023, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you for the response.
Spirit is like the wind in the sense it exists unseen, but we infer its presence?
Are you saying God and creator are the same, he is a creator God?. No difference between the two.
We differ in more than one ways.
Your position is not unique, many religions, including different sects of Hinduism align with similar cosmology.
Vedanta also is reflected in several religious thoughts both eastern and western. Spiritual paths are many, as individual as we are.
Like the wind is my best shot. And I think I like your description. Words and language sometimes are insufficient.

And yes, I believe God and Creator are two words to describe the Diety .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 04:04 AM
 
7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Reputation: 6946
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are reproducing Spirit. That involves spiritual insemination, fertilization, growth, and maturation in this physical womb until death (rebirth as Spirit).
Thank you, MysticPhD.

That still leaves the reason for why this is needed (or wanted by God) unless I was supposed to read between the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we don't.
we don't need to "reach" what we already are.
Thank you, Tzaphkiel, for your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 04:14 AM
 
7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Reputation: 6946
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I would call that understanding. Understanding that this person will violate you if given the chance, probably unintentionally even. Then protecting yourself instead of expecting the other person to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
"Cutting someone out of your life" (aka: drawing some boundaries) has nothing to do with something being, or not being, "unforgiveable". That's an entirely separate issue. In fact you can absolutely forgive someone and not hold anything against the and still not trust them or give them unfettered access to you or be vulnerable to them.

Nothing is unforgiveable but a lot of things represent such a betrayal of trust that it can be very time consuming, if not impossible, to rebuild that trust / win it bak. Distrust is not equal to unforgiveness and forgiveness is not equal to trust.
Good posts, even though it complicates forgivable and its opposite. I think if a person starts trusting the other person again, that other person may feel forgiven. And the person who doesn't earn trust again even though interaction may have started up again, will not feel it. Therefore, forgiving or not is not only dependent on the giver but on the receiver as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Virginia
10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Reputation: 27653
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand that is your belief, Tzaph because your God (or whatever) is dead (static). It is not mine. My God is living and dynamic only His character is unchanging.
It's more than a bit rude to denigrate another's deity, don't you think? Just because your vision of G-d doesn't "match" with other peoples doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions on theirs and refer to their G-d as "dead". Bad form, Mystic, especially for someone who claims to be so erudite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 11:00 AM
 
22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Reputation: 18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand that is your belief, because your God (or whatever) is dead (static). It is not mine. My God is living and dynamic only His character is unchanging.
on bold 1 above you label that which is unchanging as "dead" your words see post above.

and then in bold 2 above, you go on to claim "your God" is living but unchanging, which you previously said unchanging is "dead"

several points:

1. there is no "your God" "my God"
there are your beliefs about God. and other beliefs about God.

2. you claim that something is both alive dynamic changing AND also unchanging.

3. since you label that which is unchanging as "dead" then that applies also to what you describe as "your God His character is unchanging". since unchanging is in your parlance is "dead" then you're saying God's character is dead.


those are some of the problematic areas identified in the above post

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2023 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 03:43 PM
 
63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Reputation: 7868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
on bold 1 above you label that which is unchanging as "dead" your words see post above.

and then in bold 2 above, you go on to claim "your God" is living but unchanging, which you previously said unchanging is "dead"

several points:

1. there is no "your God" "my God"
there are your beliefs about God. and other beliefs about God.

2. you claim that something is both alive dynamic changing AND also unchanging.

3. since you label that which is unchanging as "dead" then that applies also to what you describe as "your God His character is unchanging". since unchanging is in your parlance is "dead" then you're saying God's character is dead.

those are some of the problematic areas identified in the above post
Your reasoning is surprisingly literal and fundamentalist, Tzaph. It is not at all unusual for the basic character of God (agape) to be unchanging even though God has eternal life (and therefore is not dead).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2023, 04:07 PM
 
22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Reputation: 18251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your reasoning is surprisingly literal and fundamentalist. It is not at all unusual for the basic character of God (agape) to be unchanging even though God has eternal life (and therefore is not dead).
so then stop claiming that "unchanging" is the same as "dead" and "static"
and stop accusing other beliefs which describe divinity as unchanging as having a "dead God"


the pejoratives and insults you use in a continual attack on other belief systems, decade after decade after decade speaks to your own intolerance and a deep seated disdain for religion which has never diminished.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2023 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top