Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2023, 04:51 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

the pejoratives and insults you use in a continual attack on other belief systems,
"One man's religion is another man's belly laugh..."

Robert Heinlein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 05:38 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It's more than a bit rude to denigrate another's deity, don't you think? Just because your vision of G-d doesn't "match" with other peoples doesn't give you the right to cast aspersions on theirs and refer to their G-d as "dead". Bad form, Mystic, especially for someone who claims to be so erudite.
The number of people here with thin skins is astonishing. Of course, 30 years of academic freedom to speak my mind as a Professor with authority certainly did not aid my sense of the more recent surge of political correctness and offense-taking. Glad I am at the end of my life and not the beginning. Good luck to you all in your brave new world of offense-taking!

Old 05-08-2023, 05:52 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The number of people here with thin skins is astonishing. Of course, 30 years of academic freedom to speak my mind as a Professor with authority certainly did not aid my sense of the more recent surge of political correctness and offense-taking. Glad I am at the end of my life and not the beginning. Good luck to you all in your brave new world of offense-taking!
the views presented in your posts are constantly posturing for "how to serve God the right way" and berating others for their, your words here: "mistaken beliefs about how to serve God." yet you consistently dismiss and ignore what scripture plainly says about cultivating humbleness, and not putting on the airs of arrogance. you don't have authority, this isn't a classroom, and you are no one's professor here on CD. Those mean nothing and carry no weight in serving God.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:05 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
"Brave new world of offense-taking". Meh. I'm glad you enjoyed your 30 years of speaking your mind with authority as a professor. However, your past authority doesn't carry any more intellectual weight than any other poster on C-D, nor do your beliefs, no matter how many times you repeat the same old sh*t.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
so then stop claiming that "unchanging" is the same as "dead" and "static"
and stop accusing other beliefs which describe divinity as unchanging as having a "dead God"

the pejoratives and insults you use in a continual attack on other belief systems, decade after decade after decade speaks to your own intolerance and a deep-seated disdain for religion which has never diminished.
Your timeless and unchanging definitions make ZERO sense to me (and I suspect most rational thinkers) since absolutely NOTHING we have any access to is unchanging or timeless. We do have an unbounded imagination which is what enables the creation of such anomalous concepts and if they satisfy you, that is fine. But I will not pretend they make any sense at all just because you revere them as sacred, admire those who created them, and they have "endured for millennia."

YOU determine what you consider pejorative and insulting irrespective of my actual state of mind regarding them which you are NOT privy to. So your opinion of them is just your opinion not fact! I have no such feelings toward religion or anything else, but I will state my opinions factually. The fact is that much of what is in religion is inexplicably primitive and barbaric, IMO. Barbarity is not hard to identify so the status of the beliefs is neither pejorative nor insulting. You cannot self-identify yourself as the subject of perceived insults.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Your timeless and unchanging definitions make ZERO sense to me (and I suspect most rational thinkers) since absolutely NOTHING we have any access to is unchanging or timeless. We do have an unbounded imagination which is what enables the creation of such anomalous concepts and if they satisfy you, that is fine. But I will not pretend they make any sense at all just because you revere them as sacred, admire those who created them, and they have "endured for millennia."
what makes no sense is that
you yourself just identified God's character as "unchanging."
while at the same saying that which is unchanging is "dead."
and also saying that "unchanging" is "unbounded imagination" and "can't pretend they make any sense" nor can "most rational thinkers" and "nothing we have access to is unchanging"

it is apparent to readers that you are using the very same word to describe God "unchanging"
which you berate others for.

Quote:
I understand that is your belief, because your God (or whatever) is dead (static). It is not mine. My God is living and dynamic only His character is unchanging.
if unchanging is (your words here) "dead, imagination, not rational thinking, nothing we have access to is unchanging, and makes zero sense".....then why would you describe (again your words here) "God's character is unchanging?"

Quote:
YOU determine what you consider pejorative and insulting irrespective of my actual state of mind regarding them which you are NOT privy to. So your opinion of them is just your opinion not fact! I have no such feelings toward religion or anything else, but I will state my opinions factually. The fact is that much of what is in religion is inexplicably primitive and barbaric, IMO. Barbarity is not hard to identify so the status of the beliefs is neither pejorative nor insulting. You cannot self-identify yourself as the subject of perceived insults.
regarding bold above "you will state your opinions factually"
your opinions are just that opinions. They are not facts. they are opinions.

when someone considers other people's opinions to be "opinions" but elevates their own opinions to "facts"
then that is problematic on many many levels.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2023 at 06:48 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 06:47 PM

Quote:
what makes no sense is that
you yourself just identified God's character as "unchanging."
while at the same saying that which is unchanging is "dead."
and also saying that "unchanging" is "unbounded imagination" and "can't pretend they make any sense" nor can "most rational thinkers" and "nothing we have access to is unchanging"

it is apparent to readers that you are using the very same word to describe God "unchanging"
which you berate others for.
if unchanging is (your words here) dead, imagination, not rational thinking, nothing we have access to is unchanging, and makes zero sense.....then why would you describe (again your words here) God's character as unchanging?
I can't believe you do not realize that some aspects of Reality can be unchanging without EVERYTHING being unchanging!!! Conflating timeless with unchanging just muddies the water beyond the pale!
Quote:
regarding bold above "you will state you opinions factually"
your opinions are not facts. They are opinions.
I get that you consider everything to be an opinion and there is nothing that is a fact (or at least your posts give that impression). But primitive and barbaric describe a state of behavior and activity that is well defined and known by most people, which makes it factual enough for all intents and purposes.

Old 05-08-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I can't believe you do not realize that some aspects of Reality can be unchanging without EVERYTHING being unchanging!!! Conflating timeless with unchanging just muddies the water beyond the pale! I get that you consider everything to be an opinion and there is nothing that is a fact (or at least your posts give that impression). But primitive and barbaric describe a state of behavior and activity that is well defined and known by most people, which makes it factual enough for all intents and purposes.
i am someone who knows the difference between opinions and facts. my posts consistently demonstrate this.
your posts demonstrate that you do not know the difference because you label your own opinions as facts, while dismissing other views as opinions.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2023 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I can't believe you do not realize that some aspects of Reality can be unchanging without EVERYTHING being unchanging!!! Conflating timeless with unchanging just muddies the water beyond the pale! I get that you consider everything to be an opinion and there is nothing that is a fact (or at least your posts give that impression). But primitive and barbaric describe a state of behavior and activity that is well defined and known by most people, which makes it factual enough for all intents and purposes.
and here you are saying if something is "well defined and known by most people it makes it factual enough for all intents and purposes." so then that would apply to the billions and billions and billions across the globe and across cultures and across traditions who recognize that Divinity is unchanging and outside of time.

i have no interest in what you believe or changing your beliefs. that's your choice to believe whatever you want, that is freedom of religion. i'm just pointing out the glaring contradictions and inconsistencies and double standards, with regards to even trying to apply the logic you present even to the statements in your own posts. it falls apart completely.

that's what a double standard is. but you can't have it both ways.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2023 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
i am someone who knows the difference between opinions and facts. my posts consistently demonstrate this.
your posts demonstrate that you do not know the difference because you label your own opinions as facts.
Are you seriously questioning whether or not there is a category of human behavior and activity that is FACTUALLY primitive and barbaric???? If you are, then you do NOT know the difference between opinion and facts. You seem to think that only what YOU (in YOUR opinion) consider fact can be facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality