Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 12:00 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The first paragraph you posted in that reply is exactly what I was trying to convey - thanks! And, tbh, what makes the beliefs of a Phd any more valid than those of the "truly nutty religious people"? They used to be called seers and prophets in older times. I am with you on this subject: I believe the truth of my own relationship with G-d, but I don't hope, preach, or hound anyone else to believe the exact same thing.
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 12:01 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As the above shows, I DO get it, Phet, and I never forget what science is about and what it is NOT about. The extant science supports the plausibility of my views and hypotheses as an explanation for the validity of my experiences, that's all. As you point out, there are other reported experiences that differ and cast doubts on the probative value of ANY of them. I have satisfied myself with the validity of mine. That is all. YMMV!
You have satisfied/convinced an army of one.

Old 05-09-2023, 12:03 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is not "spiritually evolved" to tell others they don't know how to serve God or are serving God the wrong way or that sages and masters from other paths don't know what they're talking about or to claim supremacy of one path over another. your posts engage in those behaviors on a regular basis.
Get a clue, Tzaph. That is my opinion of their views and that is why we are here in the forum. You are suggesting that I have no right to those opinions nor any right to express them here. Stop badgering me and others who disagree with YOU and YOUR opinions. Just express your differing opinions without badgering.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:12 PM

422 posts, read 159,431 times
I'll much sooner cut someone out of my life for their politics than their raw religion. The problem is that in the USA politics and religion are heavily tied now. For some people Donald Trump is a part of their Christianity and for those people, they have absolutely no place in my life.

A lot of my friends are really light Christians, ambiguous (or don't talk about religion, ever) or are nonbelievers like me. But I do have a couple of strongly Christian friends. One of them is a devout hardline reformed Calvinist and somehow I get along with her more than nearly anyone else in the world. We just generally don't talk about religion, but even still, we have discussed the subject and while some things she has said put me off a lot, she is very unique for a strong Christian believer in that she really thinks that rules apply to her church and not me, others, and the government/country/world. She doesn't proselytize to me and we are able to talk about other things. Friendships have failed with strong Christians that think that their religion belongs in my life and the government. She is a very unique person, and I can't fully wrap my head around it all. lol

Old 05-10-2023, 06:05 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I'll much sooner cut someone out of my life for their politics than their raw religion. The problem is that in the USA politics and religion are heavily tied now. For some people Donald Trump is a part of their Christianity and for those people, they have absolutely no place in my life.

A lot of my friends are really light Christians, ambiguous (or don't talk about religion, ever) or are nonbelievers like me. But I do have a couple of strongly Christian friends. One of them is a devout hardline reformed Calvinist and somehow I get along with her more than nearly anyone else in the world. We just generally don't talk about religion, but even still, we have discussed the subject and while some things she has said put me off a lot, she is very unique for a strong Christian believer in that she really thinks that rules apply to her church and not me, others, and the government/country/world. She doesn't proselytize to me and we are able to talk about other things. Friendships have failed with strong Christians that think that their religion belongs in my life and the government. She is a very unique person, and I can't fully wrap my head around it all. lol
That's probably because as a Calvinist, she knows she's going to heaven, and your going to hell, and there is nothing either of you can do about it.

Old 05-10-2023, 08:11 PM

422 posts, read 159,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
That's probably because as a Calvinist, she knows she's going to heaven, and your going to hell, and there is nothing either of you can do about it.
Yeah, probably... I don't like to think about that part. However, I will say that she currently is not aware that I'm a non-believer. I have never had the courage to tell her that much even though I suspect she wouldn't treat me much differently.

Instead I've danced around the subject of my belief.

BTW, I find it funny that - currently living in hyper Christian Oklahoma - she is the only person I recall ever asking me what church I go to. Lol. I gave her a bit of a "oh my family drifted from our former church and we haven't been in a while" kinda answer. That was many years ago. She has never asked again, thankfully.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:43 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not Christian and i did not realize until I came across this forum on CD that forgiveness is such a fraught religious edict for Christians.
As the bolded say, that is the only way one can deal with hurt that was inflicted on us - to let god be god and judge as he would.
As the victim we need to move on and become a survivor. The position of not-forgiving only continues the torment because there is no movement forward if we stay not-forgiving.

Having said that i place very little importance to this matter of forgiving anyway. Forgiving to me means I love this person and want him in my life again and for that reason I will forgive him because he has expressed enoch contrition to make me believe he has CHANGED, and not the same person who hurt me.
If that is not the case, i feel no obligation as such to forgive. It is all about me, me, me. My survival and my mental health so i return whole to being who I am, someone who can love and be giving, and function to fulfill my responsibilities. Not for ever a victim. I will let god judge both me and him and do as he will. I will not give it another thought.
As i said I am not a Christian. My religion tells me neither to judge nor to indulge in revenge. Let things go and be centered. Forgiveness and punishment is between the perpetrator and the Divine.
See this is the kind of intentional bs that you do..........YOU resurrected this thread to embarrass me. No other reason. You know damn well I am an atheist and have been for over 12 years. This thread was started in 2007. I am no longer a Christian folks so ignore this. CB2008 is a vindictive person and she hates me. It's only because I'm smarter than her.

Actually I have no idea what is wrong with you but you need to get a freaking life, along with your two cohorts. It is just not healthy to stalk and harass people, that causes some people to commit suicide. It's called bullying, and I am calling you out on it.

I hope to be here to respond to your waiting-with-bated-breath response.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So God's "hands were tied' so to speak...

That's what I get from this post.

But here are a few suggestions...

1) Don't put the tree of knowledge in the garden.

2) Don't invent snakes.

3)If you insist on snakes how about not letting Satan get into the snake to make it talk.

4) If you insist on letting Satan get into the snake to let it talk. How about confusing the language like you did in the garden.

5) Better yet, why didn't you send Satan to another planet, solar system, to hell, or just kill him after he rebelled in heaven. That would have helped.

6) Finally, you could tell Eve "Hey Eve, don't listen to that snake!!!! Go get a hoe and chop his head off. No, I did NOT mean Lilleth."
Priceless

Old 05-13-2023, 09:04 PM

I did not realize how many pages came after it was resurrected. If anyone has an questions for atheists, that's the "Ask an Atheist" thread. (shameful plug there) This thread was brought back for the wrong reasons. I am no longer the religious fanatic portrayed in the OP. Well, cb got what she wanted. I'm thoroughly embarrassed. I think I'll go kill myself now. Mm that would make her so happy. So I won't.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
See this is the kind of intentional bs that you do..........YOU resurrected this thread to embarrass me. No other reason. You know damn well I am an atheist and have been for over 12 years. This thread was started in 2007. I am no longer a Christian folks so ignore this. CB2008 is a vindictive person and she hates me. It's only because I'm smarter than her.

Actually I have no idea what is wrong with you but you need to get a freaking life, along with your two cohorts. It is just not healthy to stalk and harass people, that causes some people to commit suicide. It's called bullying, and I am calling you out on it.

I hope to be here to respond to your waiting-with-bated-breath response.
The thread was not resurrected.. It never died. What you write in the internet stays forever. Threads don’t belong to anyone, it belongs to City Data to do with it as it pleases. Most people know that. City Data invites any one who can post here to continue to post on any thread no matter when it was posted or by whom. Otherwise it will be closed. Most people know that as well. This whining about threads being “resurrected” is the weirdest thing.Who does that?
there are a lot of great threads and discussions in these forums. there is no rule as to which thread one can post. again nobody owns any threads or posts. Only City Data does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality