U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 07:40 AM

5,460 posts, read 6,157,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I was referring to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Salt Lake City-headquartered Church), and not one of its 100 or so offshoots. The absolutely fastest way an LDS person can get excommunicated from the Church is to enter into a polygamous relationship. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it.
Exactly. As I said, some groups of Mormons do think it's bad, others don't. Each tries to give themselves some sort of aura of authority that they're the ones who really understand god in the matter. As this thread has demonstrated, though, no matter how much you claim that you're the one who really understands god's plan, it's no more convincing than the next person who uses that same assumed authority to say exactly the opposite.

That's why it's bad policy to use these sorts of random subjective opinions to enact political policy. They tend to be more tied up in historical accident (horse-trading polygamy for statehood in this case) than anything else.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-05-2011, 03:45 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,058,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Does anyone else think that there is a reasoning behind why people become homosexuals? Obviously, there is but I am convinced that people are not born gay. Sure, they may be born with a predisposition to homosexuality but it is their environment that cements them as a gay.

I think boys who raised with absentee fathers, who don't have a strong male role model, and who don't have girlfriends are almost certain to be either gay or another form of social misfit. Being gay can be classified as being a misfit because being gay means that you can't produce offspring which means that you are going against your natural way of functioning.
Well the american psychological association completely disagrees with you.
here is some research on the topic for your enjoyment.. no mention of absent father syndrome whicb has been discounted by several researchers.
http://allpsych.com/journal/homosexuality.html

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

5,409 posts, read 2,998,261 times
idea! let's make all the gay people practice Kosher sex so that we (heterosexuals) don't have to adhere to that standard.

gabfest for president 2012!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 AM

17,853 posts, read 12,884,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
idea! let's make all the gay people practice Kosher sex so that we (heterosexuals) don't have to adhere to that standard.

gabfest for president 2012!
Okay..... What's "Kosher" sex?

And how do you propose to make all the gay people practice it?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM

5,409 posts, read 2,998,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Okay..... What's "Kosher" sex?
google it. it's kinda broad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And how do you propose to make all the gay people practice it?
gay people can't practice it and most religious heterosexuals don't/won't practice it.
it's an occult (hidden) taboo that is held against the gay community without much if any merit.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
The term marriage is a religous term. Marriage is a religous practice belongs to religion.
Please forgive me and pray for me please because I do not won't to be intolerant of anyone, I have no right to be intolerant of others.
I just don't understand why the gay community insist having the term "marriage."

Are you suggesting that gay people should not be allowed religious unions?
(gay people can believe in fairy tales also) Seems intolerant to me.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM

81 posts, read 93,557 times
Actually, if one wants to be Gay and a Christian, well, it's mutually exclusive, at least to anyone who believes the Bible. The Bible is pretty clear. Homosexual is an "Abomination" and no matter how one chooses to define abomination . . . it ain't another meaning for "Good thing. So essentially: If you are a Christian and believe Homosexuality is perfectly good and fine . .then you're ignoring what the Bible says. Which essentially means we're picking and choosing what we want to believe, so heck, might as well put a white cap on an opossum and give it a septre and kneel down before it if we're gonna just ignore the rules we don't like . . .we ain't s'posed to do that.

"Gay Christian Clergy" simply doesn't exist. Just a group of folks who co-opped the title and happen to use some of the rules they don't find too objectionable. My personal opinion is that "Gay" is a defect, be it biological or psychological. Do I believe in persecuting all people who are defective? No, I don't. On the other hand, I don't want my kids being taught that "Gay is perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with it." It's not "normal" even if it is common.

I'm not intolerant. I tolerate homosexuals. But I tolerate Democrats too. Often one in the same.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM

31,900 posts, read 33,300,623 times
Obviously to you it is a religious issue, but come on, homosexuals are not any more defective or abnormal than left handed people are. As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to your religious "rules", but keep 'em to yourself.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutterron View Post
Actually, if one wants to be Gay and a Christian, well, it's mutually exclusive, at least to anyone who believes the Bible. The Bible is pretty clear. Homosexual is an "Abomination" and no matter how one chooses to define abomination . . . it ain't another meaning for "Good thing. So essentially: If you are a Christian and believe Homosexuality is perfectly good and fine . .then you're ignoring what the Bible says. Which essentially means we're picking and choosing what we want to believe, so heck, might as well put a white cap on an opossum and give it a septre and kneel down before it if we're gonna just ignore the rules we don't like . . .we ain't s'posed to do that.

"Gay Christian Clergy" simply doesn't exist. Just a group of folks who co-opped the title and happen to use some of the rules they don't find too objectionable. My personal opinion is that "Gay" is a defect, be it biological or psychological. Do I believe in persecuting all people who are defective? No, I don't. On the other hand, I don't want my kids being taught that "Gay is perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with it." It's not "normal" even if it is common.

I'm not intolerant. I tolerate homosexuals. But I tolerate Democrats too. Often one in the same.
Christians pick and choose what to follow in the Bible all the time. You say your tolerant but your post reads anything but. If you had a child or sibling that was gay I bet you'd feel very differently.

I tolerate uneducated inbred hillbillies. But I also tolerate Republicans. Often one in the same.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 AM

81 posts, read 93,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Obviously to you it is a religious issue, but come on, homosexuals are not any more defective or abnormal than left handed people are. As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to your religious "rules", but keep 'em to yourself.
Well if you think homosexuality and left-handedness is anything but comparing apples to animal tracks . . . . what can I say, you're free to feel that way even though the disconnect is obvious. You are incorrect though in your assertion that it's just a religious issue with me. It's also moral issue, it's also a legal issue, and it's also a civil rights issue with me. Judging by the title of this topic, it seems odd you feel I should keep my views to myself.

Simple answer: Nope, not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.