Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Homosexuality: religous issue? moral issue? legal issue? or civil rights issue?

None of the above. It is an ignorance issue. Both sides can be ignorant to each other. There are most certainly same sex partnership bashers. However, there are also same sex partners that assume that all heterosexuals "don't understand". There are even some homosexuals that hate bi-sexuals for being "confused". Then there is the beef between some homosexuals and some trannys (the trannys are "sell outs" to the homosexual community). This is a very deep topic with tons of issues and its all ignorance. Just live and let live people. It is really THAT simple.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 AM

478 posts, read 773,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Homosexuality: religous issue? moral issue? legal issue? or civil rights issue?

None of the above. It is an ignorance issue. Both sides can be ignorant to each other. There are most certainly same sex partnership bashers. However, there are also same sex partners that assume that all heterosexuals "don't understand". There are even some homosexuals that hate bi-sexuals for being "confused". Then there is the beef between some homosexuals and some trannys (the trannys are "sell outs" to the homosexual community). This is a very deep topic with tons of issues and its all ignorance. Just live and let live people. It is really THAT simple.
It really, really IS that simple. And I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone even makes it an issue- with the exception, of course, of those who are gay and simply WANT to get married. Which, by the way, only happens as a direct result of discrimination, and then is used to malign the gays who are doing nothing more than trying to repel said discrimination...it's really a very sad catch 22; people accuse gays of 'making their homosexuality an issue' when really, all they are trying to do is have the same rights as everyone else. Which, if people just relaxed a bit and quit being so uptight they would not have to do in the first place....

Why should anyone remotely care in the least what someone else does with their own lives? Do heterosexual marriages affect any of us? NO. Of course not, and such marriages happen every day and we don't even know about it. So if homosexual marriages took place would we suddenly know about them, and be affected by them? Duh, NO! WAKE UP, people, and choose your battles. Cos this ain't one. People have the right to do whatever they want so long as what they're doing doesn't affect anyone else's rights. And gays getting married does NOT- and it doesn't matter if you call it marriage or civil union, or whether said union takes place in a church or a courtroom- same effect on you, us, and society. ZILCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I used to believe what you currently believe: "marriage is a religious term." I do not believe (anymore) that marriage is a religious term, I believe it is a legal term. One can be legally married without any religious ritual whatsoever.

Therefore, following the logic that marriage is a legal term, I can understand why gay couples want the legal protection and rights of marriage.

As far as "gay community", I have come to believe that "community" is all of us who live on this one earth; there is no separate community for gay people or straight people. We are all in this together.
Right on. We all have to share this earth and community- so why not try to accept the differences of others- especially when said differences have NO effect on us? And as far as a "gay community"- what the heck is that, anyway? Is that like the "gay lifestyle" I keep hearing about? I'd like someone to explain either of those phrases to me, cos I don't get what they mean. I know that I live around the corner from a gay man, so does that mean I too am in the gay "community"- or is he in my straight "community"? Also, we happen to go to the same bars sometimes- so how does that fit into the whole gay community thing (it is a neighborhood bar that I see him at, if that helps)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayban View Post
You don't get to choose your gender, your color, or your sexual orientation. Get over it.
Simply and well put. But I suppose that, just like some people can't help their skin color and who they are attracted to, I suppose neither can some people help that they are ignorant and blind to that which is so very plain and obvious. And of course I *do* say that with a grain of salt as per my reference to "ignorance"; I know that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a good education- but that is irregardless to the argument, and one can have NO formal education yet not be ignorant. EVERYONE has a heart and mind- and whether or not they choose to use either, or both- well, that is up to the individual and formal education has nothing to do with it- it comes down to being a thinking, feeling human being, and having an understanding of one's self- which is required in order to understand, and accept others for who they are. Not to mention understanding how to choose one's battles, which really is the core issue at hand with regard to the subject of marriage (gay or hetero- it's all the same). Cheers.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
Thanks for your post. You gave an additional dimension to be aware of. I live in "the bible belt" and have been around alot of gays during my life. A lot of the gays I've worked with and known in the community are pretty expressive of their sexuality and life styles and are recruitors for it. I have never been around anyone one has ever bashed them like what you have experienced. I do not feel that you have been fairly treated. Hope it gets better soon.
Are you sure you are not confusing 'recruitors' (sic) for two consenting adults? You cannot recruit the willing.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Hulu - Glee: Baby, It's Cold Outside (http://www.hulu.com/watch/198555/glee-baby-its-cold-outside - broken link)

Old 12-31-2010, 04:03 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Hulu - Glee: Baby, It's Cold Outside (http://www.hulu.com/watch/198555/glee-baby-its-cold-outside - broken link)
Fabulous link! Thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
The term marriage is a religous term. Marriage is a religous practice belongs to religion.
Please forgive me and pray for me please because I do not won't to be intolerant of anyone, I have no right to be intolerant of others.
I just don't understand why the gay community insist having the term "marriage."
Marriage is a government supported institution between two people. Guess basic humans rights must always give way to "religious terms".

Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Fabulous link! Thanks.
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing it with us. So romantic, sophisticated ... and so sweet!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
It shouldn't be any kind of 'issue' at all. As urbancharlotte said, live and let live.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Does anyone else think that there is a reasoning behind why people become homosexuals? Obviously, there is but I am convinced that people are not born gay. Sure, they may be born with a predisposition to homosexuality but it is their environment that cements them as a gay.

I think boys who raised with absentee fathers, who don't have a strong male role model, and who don't have girlfriends are almost certain to be either gay or another form of social misfit. Being gay can be classified as being a misfit because being gay means that you can't produce offspring which means that you are going against your natural way of functioning.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Does anyone else think that there is a reasoning behind why people become homosexuals? Obviously, there is but I am convinced that people are not born gay. Sure, they may be born with a predisposition to homosexuality but it is their environment that cements them as a gay.

I think boys who raised with absentee fathers, who don't have a strong male role model, and who don't have girlfriends are almost certain to be either gay or another form of social misfit. Being gay can be classified as being a misfit because being gay means that you can't produce offspring which means that you are going against your natural way of functioning.
As a gay man, I am convinced I was born that way. I can't speak for all gay people.

I am not a misfit. Many of my straight friends, both male and female, have decided not to have children. They just don't want them. But they aren't celibate. Would you also call them misfits? By the way, gays CAN produce offspring. They do it every day.

I think it is small minded to say that humans that don't choose to have children, gay or straight, are "going against their natural way of functioning".

Also, I am not sure if you are aware, but if being raised with an absentee father made you gay, then 80 percent of Americans would be gay. I can't think of one person I know that didn't have an absentee father, or was a child of divorce.

Of course, no one would use that fact to make genarlized sweeping statments about straight men all being losers. That would just be silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality