Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How did that get changed? Did the people vote to amend it? Or did the court legislate it?

Don't like it? Change the Constitution. But this nonsense about it guaranteeing same sex marriage as a right is purely made up.
Still a sore loser.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
The court doesn't have the authority to "realize" that and change existing law. They simply declare if something is Constitutional or not. That's it. The SCOTUS has CLEARLY overstepped its authority on this issue, as it has done before.
They simply ruled that the district court was correct when it ruled that denying a marriage license to two consenting adults simply because they were the same sex violated the "Equal Protection" clause of the 14th Amendment. In other words, they declared if something is Constitutional or not.

I can't imagine making a public statement implying that I understand the Constitution better than people with advanced degrees and decades of experience in Constitutional law. If nothing else, the Justices are, by definition, EXPERTS in understanding the Constitution.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Don't like it? Change the Constitution. But this nonsense about it guaranteeing same sex marriage as a right is purely made up.
True. You made it up because the SCOTUS did no such thing. They simply required that ALL the states honor the status granted by other states. It is an equal protection issue. We can't have some states acknowledging and granting the rights usually accorded to marriage and have them abrogated because someone moves to another state. That way lies chaos.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-19-2016 at 03:03 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 02:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
The court doesn't have the authority to "realize" that and change existing law. They simply declare if something is Constitutional or not. That's it. The SCOTUS has CLEARLY overstepped its authority on this issue, as it has done before.
Yes, Vizio, it does, BY seeing that current application is unconstitutional because of that realization. It is just a new application of the principles in the Constitution and not overstepping in the least even if where it DOES step is on your toes.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Really? The Constitution was written at the time when that was the ONLY form of marriage existing. That's awful short-sighted of the founding fathers, isn't it? Honestly....this argument is just silly. There is no bias against gay people in regards to marriage. I was never asked when I got married if I was gay or straight. It wasn't on the application.
Funny, my wife and I recently got married and they didn't ask us if we were gay or straight either. See, nothing has changed.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:55 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Funny, my wife and I recently got married and they didn't ask us if we were gay or straight either. See, nothing has changed.
On a related note, the Kentucky Senate is now trying to establish a separate (but equal, I'm sure ) marriage license for SSM's.

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Kentu...22141879268758

Old 02-19-2016, 02:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
It's never been about sexual choices.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True. You made it up because the SCOTUS did no such thing. They simply required that ALL the states honor the status granted by other states. It is an equal protection issue. We can't have some states acknowledging and granting the rights usually accorded to marriage and have them abrogated because someone moves to another state. That way lies chaos.
Quote:
They did not legislate, they simply enforced the equal protection clause of the Constitution. As long as there is one state that recognizes SSM, then all must do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, Vizio, it does, BY seeing that current application is unconstitutional because of that realization. It is just a new application of the principles in the Constitution and not overstepping in the least even if where it DOES step is on your toes.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
It's never been about sexual choices.
No it was about the sex of the two people getting married. And you can not discriminate based on sex.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Funny, my wife and I recently got married .....
Congratulations and much happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality