Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,802,905 times

Advertisements

From the most excellent blog of the brilliant and wonderful P.Z. Meyers:
The Same-Sex Marriage debate, greatly simplified : Pharyngula

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2009/12/the_same-sex_marriage_debate_g/samesexmarriage.jpeg (broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,036,342 times
Nice chart!

What I don't like about the way the majority of christians who react to same sex marriage is that they not once consider the soul of the human as being the real person. Once they step outside of materialism, they will know without a doubt that being homosexual is not a sin. Anything done in love is never a sin and if two same sex people love each other, there is no sin. Even heterosexuals can live in sin if the marriage is not based on love.
And, to top it all off, they will then tell you that God will be the judge in the end. (But it's still ok for them to tell you that you'll burn in hell!)

Old 12-04-2009, 12:02 PM

145 posts, read 225,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Nice chart!

What I don't like about the way the majority of christians who react to same sex marriage is that they not once consider the soul of the human as being the real person. Once they step outside of materialism, they will know without a doubt that being homosexual is not a sin. Anything done in love is never a sin and if two same sex people love each other, there is no sin. Even heterosexuals can live in sin if the marriage is not based on love.
And, to top it all off, they will then tell you that God will be the judge in the end. (But it's still ok for them to tell you that you'll burn in hell!)
Well, I'm a Catholic and a Christian and I believe in same sex marriage. I know many like me who believe everyone has the right to choose who they want to marry. There are many Christians who believe this. We are all not the narrow-minded, inconsiderate of the human soul, materialistic people you think we are.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credo View Post
Well, I'm a Catholic and a Christian and I believe in same sex marriage. I know many like me who believe everyone has the right to choose who they want to marry. There are many Christians who believe this. We are all not the narrow-minded, inconsiderate of the human soul, materialistic people you think we are.
Pretty sure I didn't say all. My sister is catholic and is totally against. My boss is christian and against. My coworker is catholic and against. My friend is christian and against. A lady I used to do summer work for is christian and totally against. Various others I run into on a daily basis are totally against. Not all, but the majority.

Personally, I could care less what others think. It's my soul I have to worry about, not theirs. So I always tell people what I feel is right even if they don't agree with me. They may not like it sometimes but I can't be dishonest with myself.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,424,829 times
Quote:
Nice chart!

Love is indeed a matter of the heart, not of genetalia.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:19 PM

145 posts, read 225,413 times
Quote:
Pretty sure I didn't say all. My sister is catholic and is totally against. My boss is christian and against. My coworker is catholic and against. My friend is christian and against. A lady I used to do summer work for is christian and totally against. Various others I run into on a daily basis are totally against. Not all, but the majority.

Personally, I could care less what others think. It's my soul I have to worry about, not theirs. So I always tell people what I feel is right even if they don't agree with me. They may not like it sometimes but I can't be dishonest with myself.
Maybe it's the area you live in? Most of the Catholics I know personally feel the way I do. It's true, we all have to worry about our own souls, but somehow I do care what others think. ( I guess it's one of my many faults-and I say that seriously) And I would certainly never expect you to be dishonest with yourself.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's the area you live in? Most of the Catholics I know personally feel the way I do. It's true, we all have to worry about our own souls, but somehow I do care what others think. ( I guess it's one of my many faults-and I say that seriously) And I would certainly never expect you to be dishonest with yourself.
Maybe. The people I hang around are more universalists and are open minded about everything. I have several gay and lesbian friends.

I used to care what others thought but it got to be a heavy burden so I let it go. I'm much happier now. If someone doesn't like me for me, I guess their missing the good stuff!

I had this one co-worker a while ago who was baptist. She made sure everyone knew her view on everything. I made the comment once to her that murders are just as loved as everyone else. From that point on, she would literally say "murders are never saved" every time a conversation came up about the bible and I was around. She was really into it then. I haven't seen her for several years now so I don't know if she still believes it or not. I would guess yeah.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,703,699 times
Quote:
That's good! And people like me thank those of you who are like your Jesus at being accepting of everyone.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,367,735 times
Quote:
I find it as refreshing to hear a “catholic christian” who is in favor of same sex marriage. What would your fearless leader (the pope) say about your view? I suspect is would be no more cookies and wine till you came back to the flock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality