Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,413,829 times

Advertisements

How can Christians/Religious people be against abortion because it is murder to them but support Capital Punishment(The Death Penalty) when that's obviously murder too. God supposedly tells us not to judge. Who are we, fallable humans who make many mistakes, to feel that it is okay to take any life? Isn't a life, a life? How can one as a religious person, celebrate life, be opposed to abortion because it destroys life, and then turn around and TAKE life through Capital Punishment? Doesn't this seem conflicted at best, hypocritical at worst? This blatant dichotomy has never made sense to me.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Because a lot of things in christianity are contradictive. Anyone that reads their bible and actually thinks about what it's saying will see that.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:19 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
How can Christians/Religious people be against abortion because it is murder to them but support Capital Punishment(The Death Penalty) when that's obviously murder too. God supposedly tells us not to judge. Who are we, fallable humans who make many mistakes, to feel that it is okay to take any life? Isn't a life, a life? How can one as a religious person, celebrate life, be opposed to abortion because it destroys life, and then turn around and TAKE life through Capital Punishment? Doesn't this seem conflicted at best, hypocritical at worst? This blatant dichotomy has never made sense to me.
To me, it all comes down to guilt/innocence. I don't feel capital punishment is muder, but rather justice.

Romans 13

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To me, it all comes down to guilt/innocence. I don't feel capital punishment is muder, but rather justice.
Do you have any idea just how many prisoners on death row have been exonerated in the last ten years by new evidence?!

At least 62. Sixty-freakin-two.

That is not insignificant. Are you willing to MURDER innocent people in order to mete out "justice" to the guilty? Are you? Would you be willing to pull the switch yourself, to deliver the "justice" you think is so fair, even though you could be killing someone who is innocent of the crime they are being killed for?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Do you have any idea just how many prisoners on death row have been exonerated in the last ten years by DNA evidence?!
That's good!

Can I assume both you & lilred are opposed to abortion?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
That's good!

Can I assume both you & lilred are opposed to abortion?
Assume nothing, because you know how the old adage goes.

Abortion and capital punishment are two completely different matters. I fully support a woman's right to choose whether or not she will reproduce. I've had to make that choice myself, and it's not one that I would make for anyone else. And you didn't answer my question.

Are you willing to kill human beings who are innocent of the crime for which they are condemned to death? Would you pull that lever or push that button yourself?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Assume nothing, because you know how the old adage goes.

Abortion and capital punishment are two completely different matters. I fully support a woman's right to choose whether or not she will reproduce. I've had to make that choice myself, and it's not one that I would make for anyone else.
Then you support a woman's right to terminate life. Seems hypocritical.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Then you support a woman's right to terminate life. Seems hypocritical.
You're avoiding my question. Typical and hypocritical.

If you want to get into a deep discussion on my personal abortion beliefs, then we can do that. But don't make baseless and ignorant accusations about my beliefs without first finding out what they are.

To have an agreement on the "termination of life", we'd have to have an agreement on just when that occurs. Which I know from previous posts by you, we will never have.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,097 times
Quote:

Romans 13

1Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
But aren't you one of the Christians who believe even babies are sinners? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,623,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Wow, how original.

What crimes do babies commit in order to merit summary execution while still in the womb?

I don't suppose that it ever occurred to you that God first imposed the death penalty in order to stress the sanctity of life - did it?

God gives the power of the sword to the state - this includes committing forces to war and the institution of the death penalty.

Babies in the womb don't even merit a trial...and then people like you turn around and accuse Christians of hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.