Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Heaven a destination or a direction?
Heaven is a destination for our souls after this life 16 88.89%
Heaven is a direction for our souls after this life 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,339,350 times

Advertisements

I think everyone agrees that underlying the concept of Heaven is the notion of positive judgment of your soul, some semblance of validation for the life other people want you to lead, teach you to lead, or maybe you discover you want to lead independently of what others say.

So the concept of Heaven is a reflection of our beliefs, and values. Some folks don't want to keep having to prove themselves after this life, or don't want a second or third chance to improve the lot of their soul. For some, the notion of what you want out of the end result is hard to fathom. It is what it is and you don't question it, because even if you want something different, you can't change it.

I don't know if this poll is too abstract. But what do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
Heaven is definitely my destination, my final home and resting place.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Amen (is that 10 characters?)

Old 07-05-2007, 11:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,958 times
I voted destination.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Yes!!! You can't improve on this.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,560 times
ditto here. One way ticket to final destination, Heaven. my 10 characters

Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I think everyone agrees that underlying the concept of Heaven is the notion of positive judgment of your soul, some semblance of validation for the life other people want you to lead, teach you to lead, or maybe you discover you want to lead independently of what others say.

So the concept of Heaven is a reflection of our beliefs, and values. Some folks don't want to keep having to prove themselves after this life, or don't want a second or third chance to improve the lot of their soul. For some, the notion of what you want out of the end result is hard to fathom. It is what it is and you don't question it, because even if you want something different, you can't change it.

I don't know if this poll is too abstract. But what do y'all think?
Don't worry, we like abstract! Is it possible that Heaven is BOTH a destination, AND a direction? If you had to point to the stars for a direction to Heaven, where would you point? At least one person feels it is to the NORTH: (they might be right) HEAVEN IN THE NORTH

Bud

Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
For all of you that think you are going to heaven (whatever that is), do you not have any doubt whasoever? I mean what if Allah really created the earth and you are off to the muslim hell?

I know that I can be very assertive and direct, and I'm sure many of you find my remarks offensive, but don't you think its a little arrogant to think you are going to heaven???

Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
For all of you that think you are going to heaven (whatever that is), do you not have any doubt whasoever? I mean what if Allah really created the earth and you are off to the muslim hell?

I know that I can be very assertive and direct, and I'm sure many of you find my remarks offensive, but don't you think its a little arrogant to think you are going to heaven???
Ian, I understand your comments here, someone saying that they were 100% sure they were going to Heaven used to sound so alien to me. I was like "How can you know 100% sure??".

But now I am quite certain that I am going to Heaven. Actually, I don't see anyway around it. The Author and Finisher of my faith has promised it, so it's really not even something I consider anymore. Now I focus on improving myself, reflecting Christ and trying to be a light in a dark place by helping my fellow man. NONE OF THAT though, is tied to my assurance, it's a result of it.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I think we have discussed this on some other thread, but I think you will find the Christians on the forum "quite convinced" that we worship the "correct God." For me personally, I would just have to say that you would have an easier time convincing me of your atheism (which would be quite a feat!) than someone would that I had chosen the wrong religion. I have objective and subjective reasons for believing in Christ that I don't believe are found in other faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality