Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 PM

62 posts, read 263,818 times

Advertisements

I know this is a Big question but here is my thought.
When the major religious traditions were being established,
religions could claim the whole truth regarding the world.
But modern science demonstrates the power of empirical scientific method
and religions have to give up the empirical truths and authority to Science.
But the essence of religious traditions is the solution to the fundamental problem
of human self facing the infinite, making it possible to give a meaning to life.

I think it will be very difficult for the old religions to transform itself to be
compatible with Science since too many essential religious texts were written
based upon the outdated world view.
This suggests to me that a new religious movement which incorporate Science
in itself might be needed to keep religious traditions alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,167,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
This suggests to me that a new religious movement which incorporate Science in itself might be needed to keep religious traditions alive.
Some people will never accept our Heavenly Father until they are passed over to the next world, where they will actually be able to feel His love and know that He exists. That's just the way it is.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,456,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
I know this is a Big question but here is my thought.
When the major religious traditions were being established,
religions could claim the whole truth regarding the world.
But modern science demonstrates the power of empirical scientific method
and religions have to give up the empirical truths and authority to Science.
But the essence of religious traditions is the solution to the fundamental problem
of human self facing the infinite, making it possible to give a meaning to life.

I think it will be very difficult for the old religions to transform itself to be
compatible with Science since too many essential religious texts were written
based upon the outdated world view.
This suggests to me that a new religious movement which incorporate Science
in itself might be needed to keep religious traditions alive.
If this is a fundamental problem, does this mean that it is only a problem for fundamentals?

And then there are those of us who have no need of religion in our lives at all, and still find plenty of meaning.

There are also plenty of religious people who have no problem with science.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 PM

62 posts, read 263,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
If this is a fundamental problem, does this mean that it is only a problem for fundamentals?

And then there are those of us who have no need of religion in our lives at all, and still find plenty of meaning.

There are also plenty of religious people who have no problem with science.
In some cases, people found their own solutions to the fundamental problem
outside the official religious doctrines.
But I believe that to make those solutions truly universal or acceptable to ordinary people, they have to address and answer the fundamental questions which most religions have answered.
The most important role of religions is to provide the general framework of life to ordinary people.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 AM

209 posts, read 658,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Some people will never accept our Heavenly Father until they are passed over to the next world, where they will actually be able to feel His love and know that He exists. That's just the way it is.

But you have to get your ticket ahead of time.

Part of believing in God (or any other god for that matter) is believing that they do things beyond your scientific evidence. Hence that's why they are called GODS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality