Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

You know, I've never asked this question before and I don't honestly know the answer so don't think I am trying to "set you up" for an answer I already know you are going to give. I would like to direct one question towards believers and one towards Atheists.

1) For believers: Let's say we find evidence of intelligent life on other planets, or even life for that matter. It doesn't matter if it is small bacteria or walking talking aliens. Does this negate any belief in God that you may have? After all, the Bible does not say anything about different species on different planets. I think most believers think Earth is the only planet that has life because that it was God designed. The Bible doesn't mention anything and from what I understand most believers don't buy into aliens. Would this not do something to maybe possibly believe that evolution is possible?

2) For Atheists: If aliens came to earth tomorrow and believed in Jesus and God because the same thing "happened" on their planet as on ours how would you take it? Would you continue to deny the existence of God or would you feel differently about it considering the fact that you are taking something with a completely unbiased theory and applying it to a mainstream religion?

I know this is kind of out there, but we are consistently finding new planets and although most of them are inhabitable I would think that with all that is out there, there must be a planet similar to ours. Would it have life or not? I, being an atheist and "evolutionist", would like to think that yes there would be. Especially given the circumstances in which I think we evolved.

Remember, I am talking about the smallest bacteria you can find also. Does it change anything for anybody? Obviously, if there are microscopic living organisms on another planet they had to get there somehow. To believers, was it God who put them there or something more "natural"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
2) For Atheists: If aliens came to earth tomorrow and believed in Jesus and God because the same thing "happened" on their planet as on ours how would you take it? Would you continue to deny the existence of God or would you feel differently about it considering the fact that you are taking something with a completely unbiased theory and applying it to a mainstream religion?
It wouldn't change my mind about any paranormal claims - except those involving aliens, of course.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Default This thread could be fun!!

Well let me start by saying your OP is flawed becasue your 'partner in crime'(that's just a joke) montanaguy, said in another thread today that if the Hubble Telescope hasn't seen it, then it isn't there.

BUHT EEENEEWAY!

This is a great thread GCSTroop. Much more palatable than some of these running lately.

There are actually some Christians that think the supernatural beings discussed in Ezekiel are aliens OR that aliens and alien sightings are actually angels manifesting.

All that being said, if/when this situation may or may not occur, I can guarantee you that it won't 'automatically' make me change my view/opinion of God.

It may make me look a little closer at possible scripture I may have missed like this,
Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.
(Gen 6:3-5)
Last time I looked into that, no one has any definitive, inarguable answer for who or what the 'Nephilim' were. Could they be what we now consider aliens? I dunno, but it's fun to think about a post like this all the same.

So for this believer, my answer is like nvxpolrer's, no, no change.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
I know this is kind of out there, but we are consistently finding new planets and although most of them are inhabitable I would think that with all that is out there, there must be a planet similar to ours. Would it have life or not?
I don't know about the alien factor...but recently I did see that a new planet was discovered in another galaxy that would seem to be most similar to earth. It is postioned tha same distance from the sun (in that galaxy) as earth so it wouldn't be too hot or too cold...it has an atmosphere and they think it would have water, which would mean life. All of this is so far theory of course, but just thought you should know it's out there.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
1) For believers: Let's say we find evidence of intelligent life on other planets, or even life for that matter. It doesn't matter if it is small bacteria or walking talking aliens. Does this negate any belief in God that you may have?
Nope. In fact, it would confirm for me that the Creator likes to create.

Quote:
After all, the Bible does not say anything about
different species on different planets.
The Bible doesn't say anything about coffee-almond ice cream, but I just had some. It was yummy.

Many people misuse the Bible. It is what it is: A guide to faith. It is not a science textbook.

Quote:
I think most believers think Earth is the only planet that has life because that it was God designed.
Um, no. Not necessarily. That would be like saying, "Asia is the only planet that has life because it was God designed." God made all the stars and any planets they might have.

Quote:
The Bible doesn't mention anything and from what I understand most believers don't buy into aliens. Would this not do something to maybe possibly believe that evolution is possible?
I believe in the Creator, and I believe in evolution.

Quote:
I know this is kind of out there, but we are consistently finding new planets and although most of them are inhabitable I would think that with all that is out there, there must be a planet similar to ours. Would it have life or not?
I believe it was St. Augustine who was once asked whether or not satyrs could receive salvation. Augustine's response was quick and to the point: "First, show me a satyr, then we'll question his salvation," which means: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote:
Does it change anything for anybody?
Personally, I'm really hoping there are Wookiees out there somewhere. But until we find them or they find us, it's all a big what-if. And since we're hoping, I would dearly love a lightsaber. Green please.

Quote:
To believers, was it God who put them there or something more "natural"?
I guess I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't see an inherent contradiction.

What made the Mona Lisa: Paint and brushes or Leonardo da Vinci? The answer, of course, is both.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:15 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,006 times
wow this may actually give creedence to my GODS ORGANIZED theory
we have our God who organized(created) our earth
who is to say there wasn't another who created (organized) another such planet

Maybe that's the point we are missing in our translation

Old 05-21-2007, 08:18 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Well...I don't know if I'd consider myself an athiest, since you cannot prove that God doesn't exist (i.e. you can't prove a negative). I just think that it's unlikely that he exists, not necessarily that he doesn't exist....does that make me an athiest?

Anyway...if aliens came tomorrow and believed in Jesus and God, I think that would be too much of a coincidence for me, and I'd convert to Christianity in a heartbeat.

A more interesting question to Christians....what if those aliens came and they believed in Mohammad or Buddha...would you then convert to those religions?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:27 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
It may make me look a little closer at possible scripture I may have missed like this,
Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.
(Gen 6:3-5)
Last time I looked into that, no one has any definitive, inarguable answer for who or what the 'Nephilim' were. Could they be what we now consider aliens? I dunno, but it's fun to think about a post like this all the same.
What? No definitive answer? It says so right there in the passage! The Nephilim were men of great strength who were the product of breeding between the Sons of God (i.e. Angels) and the Daughters of Men (i.e. people). No aliens involved, unless you consider angels to be aliens.

This is a pretty widely accepted definition.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
This is a pretty widely accepted definition.
Widely accepted by who, folks who just said they don't even acknowledge the God of the Bible???

http://www.carm.org/questions/nephilim.htm

Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
OP is an interesting theoretical! Reminds me of the books I had to read in high school by C.S. Lewis, "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra." There was a third in the series but I don't remember the name. Lewis' premise was that sin had happened on the planet earth but not on the other planets. At least that's the way I remember it.....(it was a few years ago for me to be in high schoo!) Interesting read, too, if I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality