U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,345 posts, read 86,667,244 times
Reputation: 17645

Advertisements

Exodus 35:2 "2 For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death."

from

List of the Most Disgusting Bible Passages



Deuteronomy 23:1 ESV
No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

and

Genesis 38:8-10 NASB
Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the LORD; so He took his life also.

from


Top 5 Weird Ass Bible Verses



JG 19:22-29 A group of sexual depraved men beat on the door of an old man's house demanding that he turn over to them a male house guest. Instead, the old man offers his virgin daughter and his guest's concubine (or wife): "Behold, here are my virgin daughter and his concubine; let me bring them out now. Ravish them and do with them what seems good to you; but against this man do not do so vile a thing." The man's concubine is ravished and dies. The man then cuts her body into twelve pieces and sends one piece to each of the twelve tribes of Israel.

from

Stupid and Weird Stuff in the Bible

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Southern California
1,893 posts, read 1,894,740 times
Reputation: 230
You're right... very weird, indeed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 15,527,272 times
Reputation: 7054
If you remove the concept of inerrancy for the dialogue and look at the old scripts as being what they are.....vignettes of a primitive people that sheds important light on the way people lived in that era, you won't find them particularly weird. It is only when these "folk lore" episodes are placed in the context of a "God who loves you always" that it becomes weird. We have similar storys among the Cherokee that our grandparents used to illustrate moral actions that are part of our heritage. Did the Navajo First Woman really have sex with her brother, First Man? probably not, but the story is used to illustrate the moral position that incest is wrong.

Quote:
Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother’s wife, and perform your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.” Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother’s wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give offspring to his brother. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the LORD; so He took his life also.
This story reveal the very true concept that it is incumbent on women to propagate in that era. It was a time of many wars and life was fragile. A nation that did not produce as many children as possible was doomed. The importance of being a virgin had more to do with the lack of disease than with the innocence of the woman. So by having the brother sleep with the widow, not only could the woman continue the blood line of her deceased husband, but she could continue to contribute children for the health and growth of the community.......and both could have sex without concerns about STD's. Having "God" reinforce this rule simply makes it more than advice....it turns it into a command.....a requirement. (Frankly, the thought of doing my sisters-in-law turns my stomach)

so I repeat myself.....this is only weird in the context that God is commanding this as part of His plan. It is not weird in the context of morality stories from a primitive people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,145 posts, read 20,404,237 times
Reputation: 14042
Songs of Solomon... Need I say more?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Within the Splendor of the Ashen Void
145 posts, read 242,958 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Songs of Solomon... Need I say more?
Contextually speaking, the Song of Solomon has got to be the least weird (i.e. most normal) book in the Bible.


DD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,237,700 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
If you remove the concept of inerrancy for the dialogue and look at the old scripts as being what they are.....vignettes of a primitive people that sheds important light on the way people lived in that era, you won't find them particularly weird. It is only when these "folk lore" episodes are placed in the context of a "God who loves you always" that it becomes weird. We have similar storys among the Cherokee that our grandparents used to illustrate moral actions that are part of our heritage. Did the Navajo First Woman really have sex with her brother, First Man? probably not, but the story is used to illustrate the moral position that incest is wrong.



This story reveal the very true concept that it is incumbent on women to propagate in that era. It was a time of many wars and life was fragile. A nation that did not produce as many children as possible was doomed. The importance of being a virgin had more to do with the lack of disease than with the innocence of the woman. So by having the brother sleep with the widow, not only could the woman continue the blood line of her deceased husband, but she could continue to contribute children for the health and growth of the community.......and both could have sex without concerns about STD's. Having "God" reinforce this rule simply makes it more than advice....it turns it into a command.....a requirement. (Frankly, the thought of doing my sisters-in-law turns my stomach)

so I repeat myself.....this is only weird in the context that God is commanding this as part of His plan. It is not weird in the context of morality stories from a primitive people.
I have maintained this position. The Bible is, in part, a story full of legends, some facts here and there, embellishments, fabrications and exaggerations with a god thrown in. In our generation, the modern followers of this book claim this god is good, holy, just, righteous and all wise but when cast against the same book the evidence shows this god is NONE of the above on a consistent basis.

For example, what if we looked a the conquest of Canaan (if the biblical account is to be believed) as nothing more than an event where an invading people (the Israelites) desired another people's land and drummed up propaganda against them ("they are evil and wicked and kill their babies and we need to kill 'em to rid the land of evil") to get it? From what we have seen in history this would not be surprising. What becomes the subject of ridicule is when a "god" is thrown in to endorse and excuse the killing and mayhem. The very thing used to create the endorsement and excuse is the very thing (god) that creates the difficulty of acceptance (of the whole story of this god) by those who can look at it objectively.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,237,700 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I have maintained this position. The Bible is, in part, a story full of legends, some facts here and there, embellishments, fabrications and exaggerations with a god thrown in. In our generation, the modern followers of this book claim this god is good, holy, just, righteous and all wise but when cast against the same book the evidence shows this god is NONE of the above on a consistent basis.

For example, what if we looked a the conquest of Canaan (if the biblical account is to be believed) as nothing more than an event where an invading people (the Israelites) desired another people's land and drummed up propaganda against them ("they are evil and wicked and kill their babies and we need to kill 'em to rid the land of evil") to get it? From what we have seen in history this would not be surprising. What becomes the subject of ridicule is when a "god" is thrown in to endorse and excuse the killing and mayhem. The very thing used to create the endorsement and excuse is the very thing (god) that creates the difficulty of acceptance (of the whole story of this god) by those who can look at it objectively.
This is one of the reasons that when I visit religious boards, I don't necessarily go after "god." He/she/it is the innocent entity in the mix. I prefer to go after HOW people use said gods to excuse the craziest and silliest of actions even when, for all intents and purposes, the action, or even belief, makes absolutely NO sense in the scheme of things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 4,048,361 times
Reputation: 706
Default Nothing tops Ezekiel 23:20...

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like that of a donkey and whose emissions were like that of a horse....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 7,237,700 times
Reputation: 1356
I re-read this one last night:

Quote:
And God said to him (Abimelech) in a dream, “Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart. For I also withheld you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.
- Genesis 20:6

Did someone say "free will?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,451,137 times
Reputation: 1477
Ezekiel 23:20
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top