Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM

134 posts, read 891,305 times

Advertisements

Similar to the "age of accountability" question but posted here because I want to hear from christians and non-christians alike.

How old were you when you chose your "religion" or non-belief? Was it a gradual transformation or did something suddenly happen in your life that made you rethink where you stand?

Do you think your belief may ever change or change again?

I myself am an atheist. I've never been "religious" but have been exposed to religion as a child. (sent to Sunday school, Christmas eve services at a very liberal/open-minded church) Accepted atheism as my path at about the age of 15.

I don't think I'll ever become "religious" and yes...have been told I'm going to Hell many times and if that doesn't scare me I don't think anything will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
I was exposed to Christianity. In my teens I began to question and I only found answers in God and in the bible, the more I studied. In University I got into many debats that only revealed to me the truth of scripture and the faliures with evolution and science. I have continued to study and I am convinced beyond any doubt of the certainty of salvation in Christ and in the infallibility of scripture.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
I was about 15 when I saw the similarities between christianity and mythology, I saw the light and gave up church and theistic beliefs for lent, never took them back up, never saw a reason to fall back into the mythology of any church. I don't agree with Karl Marx on many issues, but... his "opiate of the masses" line seems to be dead on right. Yeah, even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 01-26-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I began the process of not believing when I was around 7 or 8. Someone had told me that god is all around and that jesus is always watching me. I remember standing in the living room trying to turn around really fast to catch him watching me. No one was there - except my mom looking at me like I was crazy. I told her what I was doing, and she said maybe they don't want to be seen. At that point I figured it the whole thing was either a bunch of bs or that god/jesus were creepy for spying on me.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times

The only thing I'm 100% sure of is Divine Love. Everything else is extra and can be changed.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
I was born into my culture and belief, had been exposed to many different denominations of Christianity, even read their sacred book numerous times, however, I found that I had no use for it and that it means nothing to me or my belief.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I'm ever evolving () in my beliefs and am very very fortunate to have a wide array of beliefs that were presented to me as I grew up. I have never been a Christian and can safely say that I will never believe in Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc. When it comes to tenants of those religions, they fall short for me personally. Now, I do take tenants of Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Paganism, Wicca etc. and apply them to my life. I do not adhere to any of those religions, but I can see the beauty in them and try to live by that. I was around 13 when I began my journey.

I am currently an Atheist who appreciates spirituality and nature, I suppose. But, as I said, contact me in 10 years and it may have changed

Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I was about 20 when I was first exposed to Paganism I studied it for several months and took part in a few rituals before deciding it was a good fit for me. I had previously been around Christianity ever since I was 12, and had casual contact with it before, but it did not make much sense to me. This became very apparent when I began studying the Bible in college. Too many of the stories did not make sense either logically or chronologically for me to view it as "the truth."

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

133 posts, read 290,268 times
Around 9 i wanna say. When people wouldn't answer questions i had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality