Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,453 times

Advertisements

I'm a PK preachers kid ( Southern Baptist at that) so I have a very warped sense of humor. I was thinking of all the things that have happened over the years in my Dad's church and thought of all of you and if you've had similar experiences? I think the funniest/ most sobering thing that happened at Dad's church, and remember I'm warped.
One wednesday night ( bible study) we all went to another church. A young couple was suppose to come to the church and talk to Dad about marring them. He told them to come to the church wed. and they would talk after the service. Sooo-- they arrived to late. All the lights were left on in the church and a lot of the cars were there. When the couple came in to the empty church the girl went bonkers!!! She stared screaming and crying and running up and down the aisle telling her husband to be they had been left behind. She started calling everyone she knew that she thought was a christian.
Not to funny huh!! Can you imagine ! I'm thank full I don't have to. We talk about it now and then and laugh at home with Dad, but at the time it was very sad. Do you have any stories to tell? I'd like to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
This happened years ago when my kids were 6,7,8,ND 10 years old. A close friend invited us to attend services with her at the Old Reg. Baptist Church. We had never attended this church before and didn't know what to expect. As everyone started expressing their prayer requests for healing my 8 year old thought it was her duty to have them say a prayer for me. She pipes up really loud "I want you to pray for my mommies hemorrhoids" They did

Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,205 times
I think the most frightening thing that ever happened to me in a church was when I got married...

I could almost hear the prison doors clinking shut.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This happened years ago when my kids were 6,7,8,ND 10 years old. A close friend invited us to attend services with her at the Old Reg. Baptist Church. We had never attended this church before and didn't know what to expect. As everyone started expressing their prayer requests for healing my 8 year old thought it was her duty to have them say a prayer for me. She pipes up really loud "I want you to pray for my mommies hemorrhoids" They did
roflol!!! That is so funny!! I love it! Children are wonderful!!! Did they get better? (don't answer that) I don't think I could have prayed lol!! Have you ever gotten tickled in church and couldn't quit laughing? That would have been one of those moments for me!!! Thanks for the giggles!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
roflol!!! That is so funny!! I love it! Children are wonderful!!! Did they get better? (don't answer that) I don't think I could have prayed lol!! Have you ever gotten tickled in church and couldn't quit laughing? That would have been one of those moments for me!!! Thanks for the giggles!!!

Okay, thefer, you had to ask didn't you I didn't have hemorrhoids, but used to tell them they were as aggravatin as hemorrhoids, when they were at their worst

Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM

Lisa,
I'm sorry you felt that way, I've seen alot of sad marriage ceremonies.
I hope it got better. I think the funniest one I've seen was when Dad kept forgetting the brides name and the ring beared passed gas. But he made it through it and all was well in the end.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
When I was very very young, we were Catholic, but when my parents divorced my mother never took us to church again. My sister had received her first holy communion but I never had (I was 7 when my parents divorced).

Years later my friend asked me to go to church with her a few times. I think we were about 12. I didn't remember much about Catholic church by then and just kind of followed her lead with standing, sitting, kneeling, etc. Well, then she went up to receive communion, so of course I went up too. I had no clue what I was doing, but everyone was going up to the front so I did too.

So the priest held up the wafer and said to me, "The body of Christ." I waited for him to feed it to me but he didn't do anything. The silence lengthened. "The body of Christ," he repeated.

It was obvious he wanted me to say something, so, not wanting to be rude, I finally said, "Thank you."

I really thought that was what he was waiting for. He gave me a withering look and handed the wafer into my hand, LOL. (For any non-Catholics or anyone who has never received communion, the appropriate answer, as I was to later learn, is "amen".)

Last edited by JerZ; 05-30-2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Changed one word for flow. Always the editor...

Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,286 times
OH! This is an EASY ONE!
In the middle of the pastor's sermon, my youngest son (about a year old at the time <now 6>) threw up on the floor while he was sitting on my lap. That was bad enough, but this caused one of the older ladies sitting behind us to hurl as well.
Yeah...so much for that sermon Sorry Pastor!

Good thing I own a carpet cleaning business LOL

Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Jerz! that's a good one. I don't know a lot about the Catholic communion but we have grape juice and wafers and the Deacons pass it around. You wouldn't believe the times I've seen the grape juice go flying.My mother and I were visting a Lutheran church during Christmas service and they had open communion My Mother wouldn't take it because she wouldn't drink out of the same cup as everyone else in the church and it was wine. I tried to get her to go up and this is bad remember I said I'm warped!!! Not because I wanted her to take communion but I figured she would get looped drinking the wine. She has never tasted anything with alcohol in it and I teased her all the way home. Typical preacher's kid.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
OH! This is an EASY ONE!
In the middle of the pastor's sermon, my youngest son (about a year old at the time <now 6>) threw up on the floor while he was sitting on my lap. That was bad enough, but this caused one of the older ladies sitting behind us to hurl as well.
Yeah...so much for that sermon Sorry Pastor!

Good thing I own a carpet cleaning business LOL
Oh that is funny!! My husband has a very weak stomach and will do that also!!! I'll have to tell you the lawn mower story sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality