Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 AM

409 posts, read 2,635,936 times

Advertisements

How do you picture the religious landscape 500 years from now?
Will the atheists keep multiplying?
Will Christianity get a second renaissance?
Will Buddhism expand?
Who will dominate?

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,362 times
Hopefully common sense will dominate, & we will have evolved beyond the need to worship imaginary beings.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 AM

354 posts, read 749,988 times
hopefully evolution has presented an ACTUAL proof of evolution based on science textbook. then there will be no more need to doubt it.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM

454 posts, read 1,408,712 times
Religious people will be limited to the ones on side streets talking to themselves and 'still' threatenning a second comming. they will be considered the 'crazy ones' that people mock and sceintist try to protect and study as a fascinating group with a evolution resistant, logic deficient gene.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:40 AM

310 posts, read 590,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
hopefully evolution has presented an ACTUAL proof of evolution based on science textbook. then there will be no more need to doubt it.
Why do you insist on posting about things of which you are ignorant? Evolution is well documented and has been scientifically proven time and time again. Repeatedly.

As far as the future of religion goes, I would hope that the ones which require a belief in supernatural beings, and myths from ancient books will die out. I would be fine with some of the more philosophical, humanistic ones sticking around because at least there is some value to them.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,843,379 times
I go for the original creator of this thread.

"Why do you insist on posting about things of which you are ignorant? Evolution is well documented and has been scientifically proven time and time again. Repeatedly."

That means we would reproduce somehow (or clone, eh?), and become possibly God's ourselves.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Default A bit of education, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
Actually, we have. And we don't doubt it. Lenski (2008):

Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab - life - 09 June 2008 - New Scientist

Dr. Lenski did an amazing 22 yr long (!!!!!!!!!! Wowzers!) experiment in which he watched his bacterial culture generations and saved each and every generation's DNA in his freezer. How could he have known about the upcoming spectacular tool of DNA genome mapping? What good fortune for him, huh?

Also, just two days ago I watched a Discovery Channel series on a new photogrammetric + a mini-super-computer system for separating and documenting an organism's DNA. It was so compact it was onboard an oceanographic research vessel, and they deep-sampled and discovered, in one afternoon, 20 new species, all unrelated.

As well, on The History channel this weekend, they documented the tracking of King Tut's family heritage through samples of Tut's and other's DNA. Now even I am surprised they could pull DNA out of ancient (3500 yr old) tissue samples (which ,BTW, handily precedes and contradicts a lot of the bibles' "inerrant" history. All documented, not some "oral tradition" stuff) but trust science to always surprise us, eh?

After all, only the Church wants the advancement of knowledge to be halted, after all.

Also, there's an recently started effort now to retrieve DNA samples from dino remains (obviously not fossils, but from frozen remains). It's been done in several cases, and now, it'll be widespread. Ditto for mastodon / mammoth remains, which will clearly show their lineage in relation to the modern elephant. Can you imagine what this work will tell us about the evolutionary lineage of elephants, baket?

Anyhow, Richard Lenski was able, in 2007,[published in 2008] to map those chromosomes and determined (about generation 21,200 I recall?) a significant genetic mutational change that allowed the genesis of a new branch of this bacteria, able to do something in it's environment that it's predecessor could not. Ergo; a new species, defined.

BTW, since the publication of that monumentally significant paper, he's gone on to witness or document several additional mutations that were sort of "waiting in the wings", so to speak, awaiting the key facilitating mutation that then allowed them to express themselves. This accounts for the variation in the speed of observed speciation in nature.

So how does Answers in Genesis, desperately and frantically scrambling to debunk this one, react? Answer: Typically and Predictably.

"It's only a bacterium!" (Well duh! Where do you think we all came from, AiG?)

"It's not reproductively isolated"
(to which I'll add: "just wait!")

...and the best quality put-down of them all (you guys should be truly proud of this sort of thinking on your side...)...

"This doesn't prove anything!" (hands over ears, yelling "NahNahNahNah!")

Well sorry boys. Scientists get to define Evolution, not AiG or The Church, and this one fits the bill, exactly. A new organism, capable of reliably transmitting it's new-found previously unknown advantages to it's offspring, who then demonstrate the new capability. Meantime, the original species remains, having it's own comfortable niche to continue to enjoy. and the exact point of the exact mutation, easily seen in the printout, available for any skeptic. and, to put the final boot to it, Dr. Lenski has made the pre-species and post-species samples available to anyone who cares to replicate it. How's about it, baket? Or maybe you could suggest it to your church, why dont'cha?

Oddly, no religious group ever takes up that challenge. They prefer to hunker down in the Darkness and yell "It doesn't prove anything! It DOESN'T, It DOESN'T, It DOESN'T, It DOESN'T!"

Of course, the intellectually honest have left the room at that point.

Now, if the later species type learns to also utilize the original niche better than it's ancestor, what will we see? The same thing we've seen and documented in the fossil and living species on this planet. It will out-compete the original, and it may go extinct.

Of course the value in Lenski's study is that it PROVES an already established and documented mechanism. It's mostly for the benefit of the naysayers, and to refine the technique for the next experimental setup, but as we've seen, the Christian apologists have gotten pretty creative (and wrong..) in frantically denying it. As you'd expect from them in the face of an absolute proof of something they claim to be a nutball fantasy.

Sorry. Too late. And more's on the way! QED (do look THAT up as well, baket).

Have a good'n!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM

354 posts, read 749,988 times
i hope those were VISUALLY documented. if you have a vid link. i wanna watch it. why are people so up set with my questioning evolution? i am not FULLY satisfied. it is not like i am denying it just coz i believe in God. i am not even a practicing catholic. i even loathed the priests involved in reported scandals on my faith. the thing is, i have not seen a video of a proof. all they have are textbook of observations that only scientific people understand. tell them it is better to do a visual docu and air it on discovery channel so that the general public can SEE for themselves. also if evolution has indeed proved something to me, i doubt i will denounce my faith in God. well i dunno maybe it depends how moved i am by the evolutionary proof i see. but as it is, i don't see anything "in my face" proof yet. at least enough for me to say omg.... "they" are right. there is no god. it is the ONLY possibility of life on earth and how human came to be.

Last edited by baket; 02-22-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,896 times
I see Christanity as a whole being far more progressive in its thinking concerning gays, women etc. much like how its view towards slavery has changed.
More we learn about ourselves physically and mentally along with new discoveries of the universe we may have to update the way we view God and ourselves.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,873,896 times
I do not see the atheists movement growing for the same reasons I mentioned in my above post, many would be atheists will gravitate towards a very lose held belief in a supreme power that has influences over the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality