U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM

354 posts, read 710,213 times

Advertisements

I am a catholic, born and raised. I am not a practicing one currently. I know it is in the bible that if you just accept Jesus as your Savior you are saved. But as long as I can remember my catholic teachings. You also have to follow Christ's footsteps. So I am dumbfounded that some Christian belief is teaching that even if you are bad as the devil in life as long as you accept Jesus as your Savior in your deathbed you are saved 101%. Their reasoning is Christ has already done the suffering for us, so all we have to do is be merry. Sorry but that is not how i understood the way to heaven. and in fact find it.... appalling.

My sis reasoned though that if you truly accept Jesus then you automatically stay away from temptations. and thus just do good things if you can help it. and i am all for that. but if you say to yourself oh i can steal, i can committ adultery and all those evil things... i can do. all i have to do is confess and accept Jesus in my deathbed and i am good. i don't buy it. do you?

Last edited by baket; 02-21-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:00 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,904,021 times
That myth is pure poppycock.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,992,239 times
"My sis reasoned though that if you truly accept Jesus then you automatically stay away from temptations. and thus just do good things if you can help it. and i am all for that. but if you say to yourself oh i can steal, i can committ adultery and all those evil things... i can do. all i have to do is confess and accept Jesus in my deathbed and i am good. i don't buy it. do you?"

Plenty of christians do all these things, bear flase witness, even hurt people and commit murder, etc...and they are going to heaven. So, yes all ya gotta do is accept Jesus! It's that EZ!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

well. like i said, i don't accept that easy step. for me, you have to EARN your way to heaven plus believe in God. and why do u say they are going to heaven even if they do those bad things? are you God? or are u just being sarcastic?

socal: i know u don't believe in God but thanks for posting. i wonder why bother though..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
well. like i said, i don't accept that easy step. for me, you have to EARN your way to heaven plus believe in God. and why do u say they are going to heaven even if they do those bad things? are you God? or are u just being sarcastic?

socal: i know u don't believe in God but thanks for posting. i wonder why bother though..
Sorry, you're very wrong... I have an extremely close relationship with my Heavenly Father. The fact is that accepting Jesus as your savior is merely lip service and will get a person nowhere in the next life... God's Divine Love is the true salvation to reach the Celestial Kingdom of God... it is His Love that purifies the soul and brings to it divinity and immortality. And by the way, Jesus is the Master of the Celestial Heavens... but he is not God.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM

socal: you obviously are not catholic. what religion is that? so you are leaning more on God the Father. u know for some reason when i pray, It is God the Father that i am talking to in my mind. well actually everytime i pray it is directly to God the Father. im catholic and would die a catholic.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,502,733 times
But of course. You are only saved by blood and accepting Jesus as your savior. BUT, you have to have works, but they really aren't worth anything as they are filthy rags in the sight of the lord. BUT, you must not REALLY be saved unless you show works that are really worth nothing because only your actions will prove that you really are save in the sight of other believers (but not god, of course). BUT, a born again Christian can and will still sin, but it's all good because you're covered by the blood, see?....or so I've heard and observed by many evangelical Christians.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:52 AM

40,051 posts, read 31,894,554 times
...And so those of us who don't adhere to Christianity aren't going to be "saved." For some peculiar reason, there's a comforting aura about that!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 AM

454 posts, read 1,307,357 times
No,
There's no such thing as "saved".

Old 02-22-2010, 08:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,824,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
That myth is pure poppycock.
Aren't all myths considered popycock? Isn't that the definition of "myth"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality