Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So for a Burmese, who has ever only heard of Buddhism, everything from Hinduism to atheism would be cultic. But for Westerners, who can hardly travel very far without seeing a pointed building claimed to exist for the sake of Christ, Christianity cannot possibly be a cult.
Pretty much. Think of the way people these days look at Scientology. You'd look at any other religion the same way if you weren't exposed to it in your youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Pretty much. Think of the way people these days look at Scientology.
They've grown up with it and they still think it's cultic. And they always will, just as they will think LDS and JWism, which they grew up with, are cultic.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I find that people who use the word "cult" to describe a religion they disapprove of are generally pretty uninformed. I try to reserve the use of the word "cult" to describe true cults like Jim Jones and the People's Temple.
Well I am pretty well informed about JWs going back to the early 70s when a very close friend got involved with them.
You do not need poison in your Kool Aid to poison a person's mind.
I am not a closed minded person, my thoughts on religion are pretty progressive.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?

I rarely think about christianity or any other form of mythology. It is not germane to my existence.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You sound like a nice person, Fire, and one who is secure in his own beliefs.
You see that is the key "secure in his own beliefs"
My friend was not secure in his beliefs, he was also going through a very difficult time in his life, they took advantage of my friend's situation and turned him against family and friends.
At the time I was pretty close friends with him, we also worked together so we had a history of being close friends inside and outside of work.
I was asked to get personally involve with what was going on, I even attended several of these so called private bible studies? Which amounted to several people cross examining my friend, they also started in on me.
I found it to be a very unconfortable experience at that time.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
They are all cults, all meet the definition, all control their followers. If anything the JW are a less dangerous cult than those who claim not to be. I have never heard of a JW crusade, or a JW inquisition, and witch hunts. Can’t say that for the main stream christians.
I get very sceptical when people use the word all or never.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
To the OP: I think JW are somewhat annoying, the few times I have anything to do with them. If I needed to be saved, I'd find a church, I don't need them at my door. At the very least have they could have enough respect for other people, to limit themselves to standing in public places trying to get people to talk.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM

310 posts, read 589,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I get very sceptical when people use the word all or never.
So then you probably shouldn't claim your god is god of all the universe and that you'll never be convinced otherwise.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
I think anyone who loves Jehovah as described in the OT needs help in discerning what is lovable and what is evil.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
'"The wind blows wherever it pleases; you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. It is like that with everyone who is born of the Spirit."' Jn 3:8
I just love these answers you give when you can't actually come up with a legitimate argument. Your reply didn't even begin to address my question. I'm not the slightest bit surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality