Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:12 PM

310 posts, read 590,049 times

Advertisements

All those homeschoolers claiming that their kids are so much better educated than other children are just lying to themselves and their kids.

Http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100306/...hool_evolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,676 times
This is one of the things that has held me back from home schooling my girls. Home schooling material is very much dominated by the creationist crowd.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,092,219 times
Teaching creationism is not a blatant lie. Evolution has never been proven.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,197 times
Speaking of lying, I think I counted 3 in this short paragraph right here.

Quote:
Wile countered that Coyne "(1.)feels compelled to lie in order to prop up a failing hypothesis (evolution).(2.) We definitely do not lie to the students.(3.)We tell them the facts that people like Dr. Coyne would prefer to cover up."
and these are the people some want to educate their kids. Maybe he should actually read Jerry Coyne's book, Why Evolution is True, and point out examples of lies as opposed to just making accusations.

Pretty soon, I guess we'll all be entitled to our own "truth" no matter what the actual facts are. Let's bring back alchemy while we're at it. Maybe I can sucker some poor fools into thinking I've got a formula for gold. I'll be rich!

I can't even imagine the garbage that's in these text books. One more reason not to home school, I guess.

Reading some of the other quotes in the article, you'd swear we were living in the fourteenth century.

Last edited by achickenchaser; 03-07-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
All those homeschoolers claiming that their kids are so much better educated than other children are just lying to themselves and their kids.

Http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100306/...hool_evolution
It seems like this homeschooled kid was already better educated than her textbook, despite your comment.

"But she watched Elizabeth's excitement turn to confusion when they reached the evolution section of the book from Apologia Educational Ministries, which disputed Charles Darwin's theory. "I thought she was going to have a coronary," Mule said of her daughter, who is now 16 and taking college courses in Houston. "She's like, 'This is not true!'""

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,048,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Neither has creation......

Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,736 times
Quote:
Non sequitur. Firstly, evolution has indeed been proven beyond all reasonable doubt. ALL evidence supports it. Even if this were not the case, that would not make [Biblical] creationism true are more valid by default. The two are in no way peers or on equal ground.

Creationism, and especially the young earth Biblical creationism taught in these homeschooling materials, most definitely is a blatant lie that has long been debunked by all legitimate science and evidence.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,839,708 times
Quote:
And 6 magical days, the garden of eden, Noah's ark and all that jazz has been?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,736 times
This bit from the article pretty much sums up the quality and reliability of creation "science":

Quote:
The textbook delivers a religious ultimatum to young readers and parents, warning in its "History of Life" chapter that a "Christian worldview ... is the only correct view of reality; anyone who rejects it will not only fail to reach heaven but also fail to see the world as it truly is."

"When the AP asked about that passage, university spokesman Brian Scoles said the sentence made it into the book because of an editing error and will be removed from future editions."

There seriously needs to be some sort of quality control imposed on homeschool curriculum to make sure they at least contain accurate information and egitimate science. I can just imagine the lies and misinformation that must be in their history textbooks (e.g. America was founded as a "Christian nation" propaganda).

Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,389,453 times
While not at all surprising, it is scary. More and more people are starting to homeschool, which in turn, creates more and more people 'educated' by those who know nothing of science. Meanwhile, the US is producing fewer and fewer STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) majors and is falling way behind other industrialized countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality