Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:02 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,236 times

Advertisements

From the church-state separation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
No, I don't think it's unrealistic. I'm keeping track of Christian persecution within the country as a project, and let me tell you there is evidence of an outright assault on my faith.
Marks (or anybody else) would you be willing to post a couple of examples?

From my point of view, I see christianity as being a coddled, protected religion in this country. I think that 'outright assault' is a bit much, and I outright do not believe persecution.

Some of this might rest on a definition of persecution, so let me propose one from Merriam Webster:

1 : to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief

For the purposes of this discussion, can you give a few examples of how people cause christians suffer in this country because of their belief?

Last edited by stretch00; 06-03-2007 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: typo in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
No one should be persecuted.

But I would be interested to hear what forms this persecution is taking place.

If it's along the lines of persecution of non-Christians throughout history, then I'll be pretty horrified. I mean if Christians are being burned in odd places on the body (and in the body) with instruments designed specifically for that purpose, en masse; if pograms are tearing through Christian communities, burning homes and stealing household items; if Christians are being placed in camps, separated from their children, who, being little and not as able to work, are immediately killed, then boy, I'll sure have something to say about it.

But if it's something like having to take a manger out of the town square...then I'll probably be a little less upset over it, personally.

Again, no matter what form it takes, no person should be persecuted, for religion...color...sex...for whatever reason. I am sure I won't condone Christian persecution, but I think sometimes we, in today's rather coddled Western societies, don't really know what persecution is. Myself included, so I'm not pointing fingers on that score.

I'll check back later to see if Mark has responded with the study...

Old 06-03-2007, 12:16 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,419,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post

1 : to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief
Pay close attention to the wording of that definition. I'd say we certainly get harassed because of what we believe, wouldn't you?

Outright persecution? Okay, I'll say "no". I may have indicated otherwise in a different post, however I'll back off that for now. But certainly we get harassed and questioned because we express what we believe.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
I think that the persecution, if you want to call it that, often takes the form of public ridicule. I think alot of Christians are offended because the stands they take on various issues and the sterotype of the fundamentalist are often made fun of. The problem as I see it is that many in the far right behave in such a manner that they often invite ridicule. I'm talking about the antics of people like Pat Robertson who make such preposterous statements that they provide comedians and commentators with enough material to make a career out of. In all fairness I think that fundamentalists would have to admit that they're doing the exact same thing on the other side. They've made the word Liberal a dirty word and are constantly on the offensive against gays, atheists and anyone who has an alternative point of view. This is clearly not persecution, it's called free speech, and because our society seems to be deeply divided along religious and cultural lines there's alot of free speech going on these days but that's what happens in a democracy and there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, our ability to say what we think allows people to express themselves as well as to learn from each other.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Pay close attention to the wording of that definition. I'd say we certainly get harassed because of what we believe, wouldn't you?
Agreed. Lets pay close attention to the definition. Which stated:

to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief

I have bolded the part that you seem to have left off.

I do not doubt that christians are occasionally harassed for their beliefs. Mocked even. But so are atheists, jews, buddhists and pagans. People are also harrassed for their skin color, their accents, their haircuts and their clothing choices.

This is all day to day stuff that we all need to put up with in one way or another.

My question is, does the harrassment of christians rise to the level of persecution? Is it worse than all those other types of harrassments that I just listed?

Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
I would be interested in a study that looked at the rate towards several religions, not just one (what good are the results if you have no comparison?)

Do you think many Christians feel persecuted because some of the Christian-based traditions in this country are changing/dissolving, with some people not wanting traditions based in Christianity, and they(Christians) see this as a slap in the face, a personal attack on religion?

Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Hi deerisle...

I too would be interested in such a study, although I am not aware of one.

I really am not sure why christians feel persecuted. Maybe because the bible tells them that they will be, so they look for any example that will bolster this thought?

I certainly see no evidence that they are persecuted in the US.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:13 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Compared to what the early Church went through, we got it easy.

Keep in mind, too: According to Jesus, persecution is a pretty good sign that you're doing something right.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM

I like your analysis. There is also the phenomenon that groups have more cohesion if they have an enemy. If christianity did not have conflict built into it from the foundation, would it have been as successful as it is (from a sociological point of view)?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,419,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Agreed. Lets pay close attention to the definition. Which stated:

to harass or punish in a manner designed to injure, grieve, or afflict; specifically : to cause to suffer because of belief

I have bolded the part that you seem to have left off.

I do not doubt that christians are occasionally harassed for their beliefs. Mocked even. But so are atheists, jews, buddhists and pagans. People are also harrassed for their skin color, their accents, their haircuts and their clothing choices.

This is all day to day stuff that we all need to put up with in one way or another.

My question is, does the harrassment of christians rise to the level of persecution? Is it worse than all those other types of harrassments that I just listed?
I wasn't really trying to ignore the bolded part at all. To harass and punish are two separate things, so I simply stated we are harassed for what we believe. To be told our beliefs are based on fairy tales IS, in my opinion, a form of harassing with the intent to make one grieve. To be made to fear for our well-being because we speak out against abortion or sexual immorality IS, again in my opinion, a form of harassment in order to make one grieve. If you look up the definition of "grieve" you'll see that it is synonymous with "distress", of which one definition, by extention, means to cause one to feel upset.

How far do you want to continue in this contest of splitting hairs?

Keep in mind, I said nothing about Christians being the only ones. Plus, as I stated, I don't think Christians are persecuted in this country. I think I answered your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality