Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the implied premise that things aren't going good these days. I think this is one of the best times in the history of human kind, and I'm happy to be alive to experience it. The "good old days" were never really all that good. If you're sitting at home today sipping a latte' and arguing about religion on the interwebs, then things aren't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,742,627 times
hell no!!!! we don't need more gods, especially human ones. wasn't sadam hussaein a god, what about korea's kim jong, what about hugo chavez, hitler, ahmadinejad, what about bush or obama, nancy pelosi.. to many potential candidates to be gods.. humans are to easily corrupted to be gods..i would rather have a phantom ghost like we have now

Old 03-15-2010, 12:05 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,107,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkes45675 View Post
The world will never seek prosperity and peace as long as their are evil men,no matter if other Gods came along ,the only peace and prosperity will be when we die and join the Lord in Heaven.
That was all of we right?

Scripture says that God is not willing that any soul be lost to Him.
If His will is supreme then that is what will happen. No loses.

This is a logical stance for a God who is said to create all things perfect.

Only those of little to no faith will not believe this.

Regards
DL

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Weren’t the pharaohs gods in human form.
I’m sure slavery would be back in vogue if we had such a god.

As imperfect as presidents are I still think I would rather have someone governing me that was voted in. And can be voted out.

_/|\_
Aeroman
That is , to my mind, a universal desire, and that is why I say that our first God was a man and our last God shall be as well.

Who, but man, can put words to the thoughts of God or man?

Regards
DL

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I disagree with the implied premise that things aren't going good these days. I think this is one of the best times in the history of human kind, and I'm happy to be alive to experience it. The "good old days" were never really all that good. If you're sitting at home today sipping a latte' and arguing about religion on the interwebs, then things aren't that bad.
Do you have any notion of how many starve to death every year?

Look it up.

The turmoil in the Congo is said to have already killed 5 million. Add that to the other conflicts and more have dies lately than in all of WW2.

Yep, your life is good. Ignore your neighbor.

Regards
DL

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hell no!!!! we don't need more gods, especially human ones. wasn't sadam hussaein a god, what about korea's kim jong, what about hugo chavez, hitler, ahmadinejad, what about bush or obama, nancy pelosi.. to many potential candidates to be gods.. humans are to easily corrupted to be gods..i would rather have a phantom ghost like we have now
So much for facing your judge or accuser if you are a believer but I sense that you are not.

Regards
DL

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

Look it up.

The turmoil in the Congo is said to have already killed 5 million. Add that to the other conflicts and more have dies lately than in all of WW2.

Regards
DL
I also live a comfortable life, but painfully aware constantly of the starving and misery in this world which will never be eradicated, and I feel guilty about it everyday. It's simply not fair! HOw can any food I put into my mouth be tasty, when so many in this world are deprived of it!

And if someone asked me if I had the power to pull the plug on the human race tomorrow, would I do it, to end all the suffering and sacrifice my comfortable life? As a deeply compassionate person, of course I would!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I also live a comfortable life, but painfully aware constantly of the starving and misery in this world which will never be eradicated, and I feel guilty about it everyday. It's simply not fair! HOw can any food I put into my mouth be tasty, when so many in this world are deprived of it!

And if someone asked me if I had the power to pull the plug on the human race tomorrow, would I do it, to end all the suffering and sacrifice my comfortable life? As a deeply compassionate person, of course I would!
Many die and many live. You would throw out the baby with the bath water.

You would kill the living as well as the dying.

A foolish move.

Think again.

Regards
DL

Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times
Quote:

Look it up.
OK, I'll go look it up!

I'm back. It turns out there are less than half as many "hungry" people in the developing world in 2007 (17%) as there were in 1970 (37%) according to the U.N.

So rejoice! You were wrong! Starvation is relatively better now than it used be!

Quote:

Regards
DL
I don't have to ignore my neighbor! There used to be a lot more violence and death here. Now, things have gotten better.

Yep, THESE are the good old days. (Sorry if ruined your "end times" rapture fantasy.)

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
OK, I'll go look it up!

I'm back. It turns out there are less than half as many "hungry" people in the developing world in 2007 (17%) as there were in 1970 (37%) according to the U.N.

So rejoice! You were wrong! Starvation is relatively better now than it used be!

I don't have to ignore my neighbor! There used to be a lot more violence and death here. Now, things have gotten better.

Yep, THESE are the good old days. (Sorry if ruined your "end times" rapture fantasy.)
I do not believe in the Biblical end time or rapture.

I do believe that many starve to death.

Hunger Facts: International :: Bread for the World :: Have Faith. End Hunger

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality