Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM

98 posts, read 147,708 times

Advertisements

I agree with sanspuer, can you come up with some "truth" that isn't biased? That you would even think that the Barna Group would be acceptable as proof is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Any environmentalist, doctor or 6th grader realizes how delicately balanced an ecosystem must be to support life.
Exactly. That is why there is no life on any of the other planets, or any other planet that we know of. Why create them if not for people to live on? Why not just suspend the Earth in space by itself? Why create other galaxies, etc? If it is all unique to the Earth and only meant for the Earth, why create wasteful other planets?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,029,803 times
Quote:
You claim that I see order simply because I want to see order but the truth is, I see order because it is an observable fact. Any environmentalist, doctor or 6th grader realizes how delicately balanced an ecosystem must be to support life. Mathematics proves the odds of attaining and maintaining life as being beyond human comprehension.
S & L, this isn't a thread about evolution. I don't see why that is so difficult for you to understand. The original post didn't say anything about design. Why do you continue to veer off onto some unrelated tangent? The question was why do creationists say atheism claims the universe came out of nothing when in fact neither atheism nor science claim such a thing. Do you have a response actually relating to the thread topic or are you going to just keep diverting the discussion onto your ignorance of evolution. If you want to discuss evolution then start another thread, but this one has nothing to do with it. I'll make it easy for you. I'll start another one on Evolution/order and the problems of the design argument.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-argument.html

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 03-14-2010 at 11:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,329,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
I enjoy how you put "what atheists believe" out there when it is an individual thing and not a group thing.
The definition of Atheist:
"a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings."

That means that to be considered an Atheist the person denies or disbelieves in the existence of a supreme being or beings. Contrary to what you would like to believe, one must believe something to either deny or disbelieve. Atheism is indeed a belief system which asserts that God does not exist.

Quote:
None of these countries kill in the name of Atheism. They may kill in the name of communism, because certain people are a threat to their govt, etc. And they may outlaw religion, but not because they do not believe in it, they outlaw it because it is a powerful threat to their ultimate rule.
This is a red herring thrown out in an attempt to imply that all human rights violations occur in the name of “Godâ€. This is pure fallacy.

Acts of violence or oppression do not have to be carried out in the name of something or someone for us to understand that a person’s worldview is instrumental in their decisions and governmental policy. Atheism is very influential in shaping a persons worldview.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I agree with sanspuer, can you come up with some "truth" that isn't biased? That you would even think that the Barna Group would be acceptable as proof is unbelievable.
Of course you agree, denial is a primary component of your belief system.

You asked for scientific evidence and I provided it. What a sincere debate opponent would do, in a case where they don’t agree, would be to provide some evidence to support their case. In this case you would provide evidence based on scientific research that in general Atheists are more charitable than Christians.

Simply denying and then ignoring the evidence does not change the facts.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly. That is why there is no life on any of the other planets, or any other planet that we know of. Why create them if not for people to live on? Why not just suspend the Earth in space by itself? Why create other galaxies, etc? If it is all unique to the Earth and only meant for the Earth, why create wasteful other planets?
This is funny! You are pulling straws now my friend.

We have heard many times from the scientific community that they believe other planets have and may still support life. That is one reason man has put so much effort in exploring our universe.

Which do you believe; is there or is there not a possibility of life beyond Earth?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The question was why do creationists say atheism claims the universe came out of nothing when in fact neither atheism nor science claim such a thing.
What do you believe?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM

33,623 posts, read 37,274,218 times
So tell us Salt&Light...Do you think the universe came from nothing, and if not, where did it come from?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM

Aw, see, I thought you would actually like to have an intelligent conversation, but I see it is useless to try to have a conversation with an unarmed opponent.

Come back when you can actually contribute with real proof to your claims and no longer feel that you must lie about your claims in order to make your points.

As for the OP: I see it as information given from the pulpit that the average person doesn't care to research and find out what the truth really is. Same as "atheism is a belief", "communists killed in the name of atheism", "atheists have no hope", "atheists have no morals", etc.

If the average Christian would stop putting up with these types of lies that their leaders hand down regularly on Sundays, maybe we wouldn't be the most hated and feared group in the country. But they must have a common enemy to bind their people together and bind them to the church and atheists are just as good as godless communists. And since the Red Menace no longer exists then we are the lucky ones left.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,569,334 times
Quote:
Because when we look around we see order, which suggests design, which suggests a Creator. It actually gets a bit more detailed than this and there are other reasons but this should be enough to get those who are absolutely sure there is no higher power agitated.

My question remains the same. Why do Atheist, those who are certain there is no God, spend so much time and energy focused on something they “don’t believe in”?
Of course I can't answer for everyone but in my case it's because I'm ashamed. I'm ashamed to have to realize that after thousands of years and thousands of primitive gods that modern mankind continues to brainwash his offspring with the tales told by primitive beings who were trying to learn to live with their developing imagination. I think brainwashing innocent, gullible infants and small children with such outright fantasy should be viewed as child abuse and those who do it and the authority figures who reinforce it should be prosecuted.

I'm not an atheist...I'm agnostic. I don't know and you don't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality