Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 AM

815 posts, read 1,544,703 times

Advertisements

Here there is a remark. During old, old ancient times there was a custom. To consider "world creation", for example in the end of war or state and/or ethnos formation.
At once there can be many dates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
[quote=shibata;13356553]Such as what?

such as adapting the mesopotamian flood myth to the Bible. Such as the Ptolemaic Isis/Horus image as the iconography of the virgin and child. Such as Zoroastrian god and devil duality adapted to God and the devil (there's another fine mess you've got me into, Satan) Such as helios for the original representations of Jesus before they decided he looked like a Byzantine greek.

Quote:
It's true about modern unis, because the record stands in much literature until recent years that scholarship has accepted the interpretation I outlined. Many people are too young and uneducated to know any better.
Then it's high time it was questioned and kudos to the Unis for doing so.

Quote:
Then read my posts.

And don't confuse yourself.
If you have a point to make, make it. I see no reason to research YOUR posts for arguments that YOU should put forward.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The Bible wasn't based on any existing myth.
Reality says otherwise. All one need do is read such texts as the Enuma Elish, Epic of Gilgamesh and Book of The Dead to see the various authors of The Bible borrowed heavily from pre-existing, more ancient mythologies for not only their creation story and other myths but the Biblical god himself.

Quote:
That is a deliberate lie propagated by irresponsible persons in what passes for universities,
Yes, curse those irresponsible educated elitists who dare follow the facts in seeking the truth.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,905 times
Quote:
Also? Why did Allah/God wait for 1600 years before putting a wrong interpretation right?
Perhaps the same reason he waited 100,000 years of the time that modern humans have been in existence before revealing his "holy word" and commandments for "objective" morality for humanity to an isolated, primitive tribe of desert goatherders then another few thousand to send his "son" to die in order to create a ridiculous loophole for himself to try and correct the mess he had made..

Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,568,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
such as adapting the mesopotamian flood myth to the Bible.
That isn't tailoring moral standards to pagan ones, is it.

Quote:
Such as the Ptolemaic Isis/Horus image as the iconography of the virgin and child.
Neither is that. And the Madonna and Child motif is pagan anyway.

Quote:
Such as Zoroastrian god and devil duality adapted to God and the devil
There's no duality in the Bible. Do ask rather than regurgitate from websites.

Quote:
Such as helios for the original representations of Jesus before they decided he looked like a Byzantine greek.
There are no representations of Jesus except those in the Bible.

Quote:
Then it's high time it was questioned and kudos to the Unis for doing so.
Who told you it was questioned?

Tut, tut.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Reality says otherwise. All one need do is read such texts as the Enuma Elish, Epic of Gilgamesh and Book of The Dead to see the various authors of The Bible borrowed heavily from pre-existing, more ancient mythologies for not only their creation story and other myths but the Biblical god himself.
Read my posts before replying to them.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the same reason he waited 100,000 years of the time that modern humans have been in existence
During which time the world population was tiny.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
This is an odd prejudice toward spiritual evolution. If there is a mental template (code sequence) built in to the DNA for the brain . . . why would it be surprising that the evolutionary spiritual "fossils" (recordings) would contain the evidence of such evolutionary change? We don't question it for the physical fossils.
Very strange prejudice indeed.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,220 times
Quote:
Should those who use personal pronouns, except in mundane matters, be permitted to debate?
Are you implying that certain people shouldn't be permitted to debate on this forum? Might those be people who happen to disagree with you? I've given you several opportunities to address the substance of my posts, and each time, you've declined, other than to call my posts "complete garbage" and "falsehoods," and imply that I don't have the right to debate here.

As for your original charge that my post if off-topic, it's totally on-topic. The OP asked whether there might be more believers if the Bible contained a particular quantitative scientific fact that couldn't possibly have been known at the time it was written. I presented some possible scenarios, and commented on a couple other posts that people had made.

I still don't what, exactly, you object to in my posts, and why they make you so angry. It doesn't anger me that you hold different beliefs from mine, nor would I ever suggest that you not be permitted to debate here. But if you don't want to engage, then fine. I'll move on to other threads. Have a good day.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Dare I say that the whole young earth line of thinking is merely the tip of the iceberg in biblical errors and even if they found original, bona fide, no questions about it scripture that translated out perfectly the age of the earth, I'd still have issues with the Bible.

I watched a show once about the discovery of 100 or so ancient skeletal infant remains, all found in a common area. They interviewed a few Bible lovers, not unlike yourself C34, and supposed scholars who all claimed the remains just had to be the baby boys 2 and under that Herod supposedly had slaughtered when he heard of the impending arrival of dear sweet baby Jesus.

After a little study and some more research of the area they determined that none of the remains were of infants over a week old, not of just boys but boys and girls alike, that the corpses were from a sewer, and that the sewer was located beside the ruins of a brothel. The result? About the time that newly emerging Abrahamic religions made sex a secretive act - what with the 'spill your seed into the belly of a harlot instead of on the ground' (yeah I'm paraphrasing, its early.) - removing it from the temple and making it shameful rather than sacred, brothels and prostitution became more prominent (all them newly converted and unwed God fearing folks who couldn't masturbate or go to the bath houses anymore had to do *something*) and the infant remains were the result of prostitutes throwing out their babies shortly after birth so they could get back to servicing 'men of God' quicker.

Now that's an egg wash facial.

Real men of God, do not get serviced by prostitutes. Jesus tells us that much. And your point was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality