Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Religion trains people to have high moral standards, or low moral standards?
High standards 11 23.40%
Low standards 15 31.91%
No effect 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

I voted higher, but not because I think their morals are BETTER, just that they hold them to a higher place.

Most religious people believe some form powerful being set the morals they believe in place and fear that should they not follow them adequately, they will suffer eternal torment. This causes them to take their morals more seriously than others.

Now, the trouble with this question is it assumes all religions and all religious people are the same. You can have two people raised to be Lutheran, and have them both end up with very different ideas on right and wrong. Assuming both were raised to care for their religion quite a bit more than the average person however, they will still hold these morals to a high standard.

To clarify what I mean by a high standard, it means they feel their morals are superior in every imaginable way and that they could not live with themselves if they were to contradict them. This is not a critique on the validity of their morals, bare in mind I do not think universal morality truly exists, but only on how they personally view them. I feel the question is somewhat misleading.

Take ISIS for example; regardless of their ideas of morals being right or wrong, does anyone truly believe they don't hold their morals to a high standard? They obviously do, given they think they can kill those who don't follow them. This means that, to them, not abiding by the understanding of morality that ISIS has is so immoral that it warrants death. ISIS holds their morals to a very, I'd say unreasonably, high standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Depends on the religion.

Fundamentalism teaches how to hate.

More liberal religions tend to emphasize love.

I have a very low opinion, generally speaking, of religious fundamentalists. They tend to be mean-spirited, judgmental, poorly-educated, boring and potentially - with gusts up to actually - dangerous.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
I can tell you with absolute certainty that Christianity, at least, teaches a higher moral character. I've seen my own life change since becoming a Christian at age 20.

Having said that, I will also tell you that there are a LOT of hypocrites that claim to be a part of the religion and their life simply does not reflect it. Case in point, I know of someone that has been in a church for 20+ years and she is now living with her boyfriend. When a fellow member of the church heard it, her response was "That can't be....she's been a part of the church for 20 years! She knows that's not right!". She knew, and had been taught that it wasn't morally right....but she simply didn't care.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Depends on the religion.

Fundamentalism teaches how to hate.
From your perspective, of course.
Quote:
More liberal religions tend to emphasize love.
From my perspective, liberal Christians love to hate, too. They just hate different things. Instead of hating sin, they hate fundamentalist Christians.
Quote:
I have a very low opinion, generally speaking, of religious fundamentalists.
Obviously
Quote:

They tend to be mean-spirited, judgmental, poorly-educated, boring and potentially - with gusts up to actually - dangerous.
I would actually say the same thing of a lot of liberal Christians, and those that hate fundamentalists.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
From your perspective, of course.

From my perspective, liberal Christians love to hate, too. They just hate different things. Instead of hating sin, they hate fundamentalist Christians.

Obviously

I would actually say the same thing of a lot of liberal Christians, and those that hate fundamentalists.
How does one define fundamentalism?

See, just saying a 'literal reading of X' doesn't cut if for me. I have no doubt Mother Teresa was a fundamentalist, if that is indeed the definition, and I don't think I feel comfortable making such a claim.

I define fundamentalism as the absolute rejection of all outside ideas. This allows for literal reading of whatever you want, but only that. In short, someone who believes the Bible is literally true in it's moral values, but also has a great deal of respect for other religions or ideas is not really a fundamentalist in my book. But a group like ISIS that rejects the option to be anything other than Muslim is.

Anyone who holds this view point is a fundamentalist. Obviously, one does not have to be as extreme as ISIS, but if they reject all outside thought, they are fundamentalists. And those who reject all outside thought tend to not be the most loving or thoughtful of individuals; indeed, hateful is typically quite an accurate word.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
How does one define fundamentalism?
I think most Christians tend to describe it as someone more conservative than themselves.
Quote:
See, just saying a 'literal reading of X' doesn't cut if for me. I have no doubt Mother Teresa was a fundamentalist, if that is indeed the definition, and I don't think I feel comfortable making such a claim.

I define fundamentalism as the absolute rejection of all outside ideas. This allows for literal reading of whatever you want, but only that. In short, someone who believes the Bible is literally true in it's moral values, but also has a great deal of respect for other religions or ideas is not really a fundamentalist in my book. But a group like ISIS that rejects the option to be anything other than Muslim is.

Anyone who holds this view point is a fundamentalist. Obviously, one does not have to be as extreme as ISIS, but if they reject all outside thought, they are fundamentalists. And those who reject all outside thought tend to not be the most loving or thoughtful of individuals; indeed, hateful is typically quite an accurate word.
I think when it comes down to it, most of us are pretty fundamentalist in what we believe. You may believe your religion has all the answers...or that all religions have validity. But you're usually going to be quite fundamentalist in your stance on that--believing it to be true.

I get called names, and told I'm a hater by some of the most mean-spirited people on this board. They would not call themselves "fundies"...but they are quite sure I'm wrong and they are right.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
I think most Christians tend to describe it as someone more conservative than themselves.
Lol....I think there might just be some room for agreement among us all yet.

Quote:
I think when it comes down to it, most of us are pretty fundamentalist in what we believe. You may believe your religion has all the answers...or that all religions have validity. But you're usually going to be quite fundamentalist in your stance on that--believing it to be true.

I get called names, and told I'm a hater by some of the most mean-spirited people on this board. They would not call themselves "fundies"...but they are quite sure I'm wrong and they are right.
Fundamentalism wouldn't be so bad if those books were just not so darn wrong.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:34 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I said lower, I've met a lot of very religious people who tend to ignore any personal ideals for having morals, and instead just hide behind religion and take the easy road of saying that's their moral basis. The more religious they are the more some will take truly unmoral grounds on issues and say they're actually being moral because "it's in the bible". They're blind to how hateful and intolerant they're being while somehow convincing themselves they're on the right side because of crap they read in some book.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:06 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
I can tell you with absolute certainty that Christianity, at least, teaches a higher moral character. I've seen my own life change since becoming a Christian at age 20.

Having said that, I will also tell you that there are a LOT of hypocrites that claim to be a part of the religion and their life simply does not reflect it. Case in point, I know of someone that has been in a church for 20+ years and she is now living with her boyfriend. When a fellow member of the church heard it, her response was "That can't be....she's been a part of the church for 20 years! She knows that's not right!". She knew, and had been taught that it wasn't morally right....but she simply didn't care.

Here is the secret to maintaining a higher moral character, catch somebody committing a sin that you that you have yet commit, then assemble some fellow church members to quietly let them in on the ungodly sin you witnessed. You can judge and condemn, yet still appear to have great moral fiber. The trick is find a sin that you haven't committed. Until you have mastered the art of righteous condemnation, go for the sins that are easy pickings, like unwedded co-habitations (see above example) or homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality