Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:11 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,693,528 times

Advertisements

You know what I don't understand is that so many Christians say that homosexuality is against their Gods Law and that they want to condemn homosexuals for their lifestyle, and yet a Catholic priest in Wisconsin has sexually abused over 200 young boys for a long number of years and yet he's not considered a homosexual and it's the same in Ireland and in all the different countries where these priests sexually abused young boys. Can someone explain to me how that is not being a homosexual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:26 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,389,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know what I don't understand is that so many Christians say that homosexuality is against their Gods Law and that they want to condemn homosexuals for their lifestyle, and yet a Catholic priest in Wisconsin has sexually abused over 200 young boys for a long number of years and yet he's not considered a homosexual and it's the same in Ireland and in all the different countries where these priests sexually abused young boys. Can someone explain to me how that is not being a homosexual?
Homosexuals have sex with adults. Pedophiles have sex with children of either sex.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,915,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
God makes...we are to tend and keep....Not doing what God has asked is only making things worse, as God judges the whole Earth...more pain and suffering for us all is duely noted...because of disobediance of those who keep saying I do not believe, and I can do what ever I want....and they proclaim there is not a God....
So let's look at a hypothetical situation Les. As you appear to think that all of us who don't subscribe to your god spend our time doing whatever we want, which according to you, no doubt, would include such things as stealing, killing, adultery, theft, drunkenness and debauchery etc, if you woke up tomorrow morning and found you suddenly didn't believe in Jesus and Christianity any more, would you start to do all the things I have mentioned...and if not, why the hell do you think the rest of us do them?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,912,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
hey im from IL too. im a girl though. so are you saying you gave in to your sexual urge? i envy you. coz i still can't. i have many factors: my belief, my family, stigma, emotionally, i also dont think i am ready to take that leap to my sexual discovery. i also have trust issues. i am pretty messed up that's why i am miserable. i do have one heterosexual crush when i was 10 and actually plan to name my kid after him, though i doubt i will have kids but oh well.

i honestly dont know how i went from this boy who made my heart literally skipped out of my body and run to him(well at least that is how i felt) to being really really attracted to girls and only girls. i am afraid my constant deprivation of giving in to my same sex attraction made me frigid and boring.

sometimes i hate how i have a really really good strong self control. although i know it is mainly rooted from fear and cowardice.

so ya i believe you choose that lifestyle. by letting go.
Ya know, I suspect Polonius in Act 1 Scene 1 of Hamlet actually got a few things right, mostly he was just an opinionated jerk, but, he did hit the nail on the head at least once when he said "to thine own self be true". To live your life afraid of what others may think is A. Not living a life B. One of the forms of hell. (supposing of course that I actually would believe in a hell).

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Homosexuals have sex with adults. Pedophiles have sex with children of either sex.
Yeah, well it seems like the majority of these priests that had sex with children were mostly young boys, so I guess that would make them both homosexuals and pedophiles, having sex with young children of the same sex that they are. I would say that was against their Gods Law and our criminal law system.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,264,136 times
I would say that it is against common decency, taking advantage of one's position of trust and preying upon those one is commisioned to serve. Oops, decency isn't all that common, is it?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:03 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,430,465 times
Quote:
Yeah, well it seems like the majority of these priests that had sex with children were mostly young boys, so I guess that would make them both homosexuals and pedophiles, having sex with young children of the same sex that they are. I would say that was against their Gods Law and our criminal law system.
To clarify the difference, let me put it this way:

If a man has sex with 8 year old girls, do you automatically think..
"He's A Heterosexual!"

Or do you just think..."He's a Pedophile".

Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Here's some more information which explains the difference. (from reputable sources)
Quote:
"Many child molesters cannot be meaningfully described as homosexuals, heterosexuals, or bisexuals (in the usual sense of those terms) because they are not really capable of a relationship with an adult man or woman. Instead of gender, their sexual attractions are based primarily on age. These individuals – who are often characterized as fixated – are attracted to children, not to men or women."

"The distinction between a victim's gender and a perpetrator's sexual orientation is important because many child molesters don't really have an adult sexual orientation. They have never developed the capacity for mature sexual relationships with other adults, either men or women. Instead, their sexual attractions focus on children – boys, girls, or children of both sexes. "
This link describes it in more detail:
Facts About Homosexuality and Child Molestation

Pedophiles are considered to be sexually "fixated" on children, regardless of gender. However there are many cases where men have an adult sexual orientation/relationships but still sexual molest children under certain circumstances. These men are described as "regressed".

Do men who sexual molest boys usually have an adult homosexual orientation? Rarely- according to all the studies. They are either pedophiles with no adult sexual orientation, or generally have a heterosexual adult orientation and are attracted to the feminine qualities of underage boys - as well as the easier access that men have to boys rather than girls.

Here's some quotes and links to some of the main studies in this field:

Journal of the American Medical Association -
Sexual Abuse of Boys Definition, Prevalence, Correlates, Sequelae, and Management William C. Holmes, MD, MSCE; Gail B. Slap, MD, MS JAMA. 1998;280:1855-1862.
Quote:
"One study noted that 98% of these male perpetrators self-identified as heterosexual."
Journal of Psychology and Human Sexuality -(Stevenson, “Public Policy, Homosexuality and the Sexual Coercion of Children.”)
Quote:
“A gay man is no more likely than a straight man to perpetrate sexual activity with children.”
National Institutes of Health – PubMed (Groth and Birnbaum, “Adult Sexual Orientation and Attraction to Underage Persons.”)
Quote:
“The belief that homosexuals are particularly attracted to children is completely unsupported by our data.” “The adult heterosexual male constitutes a greater risk to the underage child than does the adult homosexual male”
Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics(Jenny and Roesler, “Are Children at Risk for Sexual Abuse by Homosexuals?”)
Quote:
“A child’s risk of being molested by his or her relative’s heterosexual partner is over 100 times greater than by someone who might be identifiable as being homosexual, lesbian or bisexual.”

Journal of Sex Research -Freund, Kurt; Watson, Robin J.; Rienzo, Douglas. “Heterosexuality, homosexuality, and the erotic age preference.” Journal of Sex Research 26, no. 1 (1989): 107-117
Quote:
“Homosexual males who preferred physically mature partners responded no more to male children than heterosexual males who preferred physically mature partners responded to female children”

Last edited by Ceist; 04-03-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

"He's A Heterosexual!"

I would think that he's both a Pedophile and a Homosexual and also a Criminal.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

"He's A Heterosexual!"

Quote:
I would think that he's both a Pedophile and a Homosexual and also a Criminal.
You think a man who has sex with 8 year old girls is a homosexual?
I'm guessing you just didn't really read the question.

I was trying to point out the fact that people don't automatically think of a man who has sex with young girls as "A Heterosexual!", they think of them him as a pedophile.

But when it comes to a man who has sex with young boys, many people automatically think he's "A Homosexual!" just because the victim is of the same gender.

The studies I linked to show that the vast majority of men who molest young boys, if they have an adult sexual orientation or have adult relationships at all, are heterosexual, not homosexual. They are attracted to the power imbalance, easy access to boys and the feminine qualities of young boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality