Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,025,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
So you would then freely admit that you, as an atheist, have no basis for making a moral judgment?

In other words, it's all relative? No one person, state or societies view of morality is any better than the moral view of any other person, state or society?
Did you even read my post? I didn't say I had no basis for making moral judgements. You keep babbling about how you think atheists 'have no basis for making moral moral judgements', yet you don't even follow biblical morality, which says that the bible and it's god aren't your basis for moral judgements. So tell us, what is your great and superior basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,627,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Did you even read my post?
Yes.

Quote:
I didn't say I had no basis for making moral judgements.
Right, that's why I asked the question. I want you to clarify your position. What is your basis for making moral judgments?
Quote:
You keep babbling about how you think atheists 'have no basis for making moral moral judgements', yet you don't even follow biblical morality, which says that the bible and it's god aren't your basis for moral judgements.
No, I don't just "think" atheists have no basis for making moral judgments. It would seem to me to follow, logically, that if there is no transcendent being there can be no transcendent law - hence my question to you.

Quote:
So tell us, what is your great and superior basis?
Transcendent law from a transcendent creator.

Again, what is your "superior" basis?

You see, I'm not afraid to give simple and direct answers to simple and direct questions vice "babbling" on in incessant rhetorical obfuscation.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:06 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,163,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
But where does it say slavery is moral?
Your Bible is supposedly Moderator cut: editGod's perfect message of objective morality for humanity. So the question is WHY DOES IT NOT condemn slavery?

It's pretty sad when my ten year old nephew can write a better set of principles and laws for morality than your god.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-03-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: The insulting intentional mispelling of God is not allowed

Old 04-03-2010, 10:16 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,123,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Your Bible is supposedly Gawd's perfect message of objective morality for humanity. So the question is WHY DOES IT NOT condemn slavery?

It's pretty sad when my ten year old nephew can write a better set of principles and laws for morality than your god.
I found this to be a very interesting discussion on the question of Christianity and slavery. Perhaps you will find it interesting as well!

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/qnoslave.html

Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes.

Right, that's why I asked the question. I want you to clarify your position. What is your basis for making moral judgments?

No, I don't just "think" atheists have no basis for making moral judgments. It would seem to me to follow, logically, that if there is no transcendent being there can be no transcendent law - hence my question to you.

You see, I'm not afraid to give simple and direct answers to simple and direct questions vice "babbling" on in incessant rhetorical obfuscation.
As I've said before, atheists aren't sociopaths and therefore have a concience which is the basis for making moral judgements. I don't see why you need a transcendent law to have any basis for making moral judgements. Just because there is no transcendent law doesn't mean there is no basis for making moral judgements. I'd like to know what transcendent creator you believe in. It obviously isn't the judeo christian god because there are loads of morals in the bible that you don't follow.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:27 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,163,854 times
Quote:

All of the laws and commandments contained in The Bible were copied from earlier Sumerian and Egyptian texts. So, which transcendent creator do you worship - Enlil or Horus?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,627,323 times
Quote:
As I've said before, atheists aren't sociopaths and therefore have a concience which is the basis for making moral judgements.
...and what in the world does sociopathic behavior and one's conscience have to do with having a logical basis for morality?

Quote:
I don't see why you need a transcendent law to have any basis for making moral judgements.
Fine, please bear with me and answer some questions and I promise you will indeed see why it's necessary to have transcendent law.

Is it right or is it wrong to murder millions of people?

Quote:
Just because there is no transcendent law doesn't mean there is no basis for making moral judgements.
Says you. I keep asking you to sensibly explain how this could be so and you won't answer.

Quote:
I'd like to know what transcendent creator you believe in. It obviously isn't the judeo christian god because there are loads of morals in the bible that you don't follow.
You seem to know a lot about me. What "loads" of morals am I failing to follow?

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
and what in the world does sociopathic behavior and one's conscience have to do with having a logical basis for morality
Your concience tells you the difference between right and wrong. Your concience is therefore the basis for your moral judgements, irregardless of faith, religion race, sex or sexual orientation.

Quote:
Fine, please bear with me and answer some questions and I promise you will indeed see why it's necessary to have transcendent law.

You still haven't sold me on the notion that transcendent law is necessary for a basis for moral judgements. You even disprove your argument by the fact you don't practice slavery.

Quote:
Is it right or is it wrong to murder millions of people?
Yes. Why do you think it's wrong?

Quote:
Says you. I keep asking you to sensibly explain how this could be so and you won't answer.
As I said before, atheists have a concience which tells them the difference between right and wrong, which is therefore their basis for moral judgements. This is obviously not so for many christians.

Quote:
You seem to know a lot about me. What "loads" of morals am I failing to follow?
[/quote]

Slavery, infanticide etc.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 PM

815 posts, read 1,547,123 times
Read the moment. When it gives the wife to the Pharaoh (false sister). The Pharaoh gives : slaves , camel and horse. God Iegova has given advice. How to get property having ( enclose the wife ) .
2) Iegova gives Avraam and its native to slavery for 400 years.

Last edited by eloy; 04-03-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
This is just plain silly and I'm going to treat it as such.

Morality comes from the same place everything else that we humans call knowledge, 150,000 years of trial and error! Frankly there isn't a single so called divine transcendent law that even a marginally sentient being couldn't come up with in that time period.

Thou shalt not covet or steal your neighbors stuff, including their significant other, duh!

Nothing brings together group cohesion than someone lusting over someone else's stuff or just taking it! You don't have to be a rocket scientist or some guy summoned to the top of a mountain for face time with god to know that jealousy, and envy lead to...

Thou shalt not kill, double duh!

What animal or being that depends on a group for survival doesn't understand that killing a member of the group without a really valid reason endangers not only the groups chances for survival but the individual as well?
"Let see... I like Nog's old lady, but if I make a move, Nog is gonna go all Neanderthal on me, and if I wind up having kill him who is gonna help me bring back the Mastodon meat? So, maybe I should just ask Nog if his old lady has a sister."
It doesn't require a Charlton Heston lookin dude dressed in a robe and wearing prehistoric Birkenstocks to figure out that folks need some rules to live by!

Now yes, Judaism, Christianity and Islam put some extra local spin on the rules, don't eat pork, ok, everybody knows that if you don't cook up your Sunday ham right folks are gonna get sick, so maybe you shouldn't be eating no pork if you don't have a proper thermometer, which they didn't have back in the day. But if you go anywhere in the world, folks who have never given god a second thought know that you don't just up and kill other folks, you don't steal their ***, and you leave their old ladies alone.

When you've got 150,000 years to figure this stuff out, you can come up with some pretty comprehensive rules to live by.

Last edited by ovcatto; 04-03-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality