Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM

4,443 posts, read 4,880,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Back when I was a Catholic, I always wondered about the mandate for priests to be celibate. As I usually did, I questioned this. This practice of questioning usually got me into trouble, but that was always okay. One day during Theology class, I ask the priest about the celibacy thing. I received the stock answer. I guess I was sort of a weird Catholic because I read the Bible, especially to find if what they were teaching us was in there. I then followed up by saying, "Yeah but what about 1 Timothy 4:1-5? Doesn't that refute a mandate of celibacy?"

1 Timothy 4:1-5

"[1] The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. [2] Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. [3] They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. [4] For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, [5] because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."

I was told, in so many words, to shut up. Like George Carlin said, the best cure for Catholicism is Catholic school. Don't get me wrong, if people wish to remain Catholics, that's fine by me. I just could no longer do so and I remain the happy agnostic theist I am today.
Theology class? at which university?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM

4,443 posts, read 4,880,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
It has to do with specific people, Ted. Not the Church. They will move on and/or die eventually. I wish some of them would move on immediately, but it's not my call. I guess I can pray.
How is having anyone die or move on going solve or prevent the the same patterns from reappearing?
We have to change how the system operates or else we are just fooling ourselves.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,968,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Theology class? at which university?
This was in Catholic Middle School and High School (Cistercians). We were required to take Theology from 7th grade through 12th grade. I suppose I should have said, "read the Bible independently" as the lessons did use the the Bible.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 PM

271 posts, read 394,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
It has to do with specific people, Ted. Not the Church. They will move on and/or die eventually. I wish some of them would move on immediately, but it's not my call. I guess I can pray.
No, it does have to do with the Church, because the Church is hiding these atrocities by redirecting those who are charged ,to other parishes. The Church is just as much to blame along with those(the individual priest) who are committing these heinous crimes. Aren't both parents to be held responsible for the abuse of their child ,if both of them are aware of that abuse ,yet do nothing? The Church is supposed to be acting as the,earthly caretakers, to God's children.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:36 PM

271 posts, read 394,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I just don't know that the other protestant congregations have the abuse same issues as the catholic church.
There was an article this morning in ,"The Dallas Morning News", concerning a new case involving a Protestant minister. Maybe not as many cases, but they are hardly unblemished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality