Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One doesn't have to know "what it means to be a Christian" to be offended by a condescending attitude towards everyone who isn't a Christian. The way we (and I use "we" because I'm not a member of your club) are offhandedly labeled as "non-believers" doesn't exactly inspire sweetness and light.
We are not members of a "club". That isn't what Christianity is. I'm sorry you feel the way you do. But that terminology is totally Biblical. That is why we use it. We do not use it to offend you. We use it because that is who you are. I was once an unbeliever too.

But God, by his Grace, revealed himself to me, and I was changed in an instant. And it was so powerful, that I felt it. It was as though the Holy Spirit came over me. I could never go back to what I was. Not that I was a "bad" person. I was average. Probably a lot like you. But I did not know God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One doesn't have to know "what it means to be a Christian" to be offended by a condescending attitude towards everyone who isn't a Christian. The way we (and I use "we" because I'm not a member of your club) are offhandedly labeled as "non-believers" doesn't exactly inspire sweetness and light.
Being a Christian is not an attempt at being good, being nice. It is letting God work us into his making. It is about relationship, faith, and growing each day through trials and tribulations. It is not like trying to be something but rather letting God mold you into the man/woman you are meant to be. That is why a non-believer can't understand what the journey is, means.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I was average. Probably a lot like you. But I did not know God.
That's exactly what I was talking about when I made that comment about Christians and a condescending attitude. I'm Jewish--and I resent your implication that I "don't know God." You want to be a Christian, go ahead and be a Christian. That doesn't make you more "right" than anyone else. And if you think otherwise, then you should really try to make an effort not to push it in anyone else's face.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:21 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, perhaps I should go back and see what this is about. As I said, when I see such threads, I usually become suspicious. There is too much Christian bashing going on, and I'm tired of it. Sometimes I just choose not to participate. It's better on the blood pressure.
Christians don't get bashed anymore than other religious groups..Those that are bashed the most seem to be atheists...We get it from all sides.

Quote:
Look at what they say about Sarah Palin, and most of it is because of her faith. They hate her for it. That's the kind of country we live in now. What a shame.
Nobody hates her, but if she doesn't want to get laughed she should abandon her funny beliefs and behavior....I do enjoy watching her put her foot in her mouth though...She is quite entertaining.

Quote:
Yet our founders were devout believers. History has been rewritten to make them out to be something less; even scoundrels. But their own words tell a different story.
It's true that most had religious affiliations, but not all..There were some atheists and deists in the mix...Here are some of their own words...
Quote:
I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology.....Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.....Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
“This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it”....John Adams
Quote:
In no instance have... the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.....James Madison
How you know that any were devout is beyond me.
Quote:
I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of Chist, because it is the power of God, unto salvation. — from the Bible, but I did not put it in quotes because I don't have my Bible at hand so I don't have the exact reference (that's "French" for I'm too lazy to look it up right now!! LOL).
I'm wondering why you would even make the statement bolded above??

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM

132 posts, read 454,003 times
Anyone can be in Church and call themselves Christian, but that doesn't really make it so. Just like you standing in a garage doesn't make you a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Those that are bashed the most seem to be atheists...We get it from all sides.
I'm sorry, but this I don't believe. Can you elaborate more, please?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshogun96 View Post
I'm sorry, but this I don't believe.
Why not? Who do you think gets the most flack?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM

132 posts, read 454,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why not? Who do you think gets the most flack?
I don't think any side get most attacks. But one thing is for sure, it sure does look like Islam does most of the attacking (physically).

Old 05-09-2010, 11:51 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Ten ways liberals fail at being open-minded and tolerant:
Quote:
- their extreme hate for religion, especially Christians
Absurd. Most liberals I know are followers of some sort of religion, whether it is Buddhism, Paganism, or yes, Christianity.

Quote:
(criticize Israel and you're an anti-semite; criticize Islamic fundamentalism for breeding terrorism and you're a bigot)
And criticize Christianity and you're a communist who hates America, right?

Quote:
- their extreme hate for free speech (esp. if they don't agree with it), individual choice and freedom, and people's right to assemble and protest

- their extreme hate for America
- their extreme hate for the Constitution
On the contrary, all the freedoms enjoyed in this country and outlined in its Constititution were founded by and fought for patriotic liberals, usually in (often bloody) conflict with mainstream conservative Christians and their "values".

Quote:
- their extreme hate for white people (more minorities are needed to fill up their utopian world of "diversity")
Laff. `Nuff said.

Quote:
- their propensity for hypocrisy and double-standards
Laff.. anyone who keeps up with the (unbiased) news knows this applies far more to conservatives and the Christian religious right than anyone else.

Quote:
- their propensity for double-speak and two-facedness
See above.

Quote:
- their love of Big Government waste
Like waging a billion dollar religious crusade in Iraq because "gawd" commanded it?

Quote:
- their constant victim mentality and believing that somebody should compen$$ate them for being victims of this harsh, cruel world
Laff. Christians by far are perpetrators of the largest victim/persecution complex known to man.

Quote:
- their hatred for traditional family values (NO prayer allowed in public anywhere! NO Christmas trees allowed in schools!!!)
Riiight. IOW YOUR religion and YOUR "traditional" (as if you know anything about the true nature of those traditions) family values are the only ones that count.

Quote:
But my lesbian-turned-drag queen son going to the prom as prom King AND Queen is okay and I demand it because it's his right)
Damn straight. Got a problem with it, move to a theocratic dictorship. I hear Iran is nice. You'd fit right in. All you have to do is change the name of your invisible friend.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
John Shore: Ten Ways Christians Tend to Fail at Being Christian

Very interesting article with some solid points. Wish I could post the whole list on here but guess you'll all have to hit the link for the article
With a few minor qualifications, I thought the article was excellent. It might be interesting if you were to start one thread for each point mentioned in the article. It would make discussing it a little easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality