Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What came first, the chicken or the egg?
The Chicken 12 46.15%
The Egg 14 53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Neither...the Raptor cames first.

Archeopteryx (now off to see if I remembered how to spell that correctly)

Damn. Missed it by one:

Archaeopteryx

stupid latin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post

The largest living organism ever found was discovered in an ancient American forest.

The Armillaria ostoyae, popularly known as the honey mushroom, started from a single spore too small to see without a microscope. It has been spreading its black shoestring filaments, called rhizomorphs, through the forest for an estimated 2,400 years, killing trees as it grows. It now covers 2,200 acres (880 hectares) of the Malheur National Forest, in eastern Oregon.
The outline of the giant fungus stretches 3.5 miles (5.6 kilometres) across, and it extends an average of three feet (one metre) into the ground. It covers an area as big as 1,665 football fields.
Melvin, I stand in awe. I did not know this. Now I've gotta go and look for myself! But... will it sneak up on me, I'm wondering? Does it have an holistic consciousness? (We may never know for sure, but let's assign one, God-like, shall we?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Neither...the Raptor cames first.
Quite so, FB32. I started raising chickens last year, and when I pick up one of my ladies, and get up close and personal (huh?) with their heads, that reptilian eye, right out of the documentary Jurassic Park, stares, unblinking, back at me. I know what she's thinking:

"If I were only 25 feet tall, and could trade these silly useless wings in for those little front legs and clawed hands I used to have, I'd eat you for lunch, since you devour my babies daily without so much as a 'Thank you, Ma'am!' ".

NIKK, your version would require that now disproven "Insta-Poof" Genesis thing, which we all know now to be nothin' but a fairy-tale designed to teach the intellectually immature, like those kids in Sunday School. Missed the memo, huh?

Eggs being essentially a single-celled but DNA-filled organism, en-route to becoming a hugely complex multi-celled organism, effectively reflecst the progression of our own organistic evolution. Eggs prove that such complexity, from very little to very diversified, can and does happen in a matter of just a few weeks, exponential growth based on replicating cells doubling being the norm in biology.

Mmmm... poached eggs on toast! My fav!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Archeopteryx (now off to see if I remembered how to spell that correctly)

Damn. Missed it by one:

Archaeopteryx

stupid latin
Well if you're going to go back that far.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM

409 posts, read 2,633,758 times
How can the egg come before the chicken? Who laid that egg in the fist place then?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:42 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Chicken came first....cause it just did, is that enough of an explanation??

Old 05-14-2010, 02:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
In a word, NO.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
The egg because the question does not specify what "the egg" means. Egg-laying animals clearly predate chickens and therefore eggs came before chickens.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM

667 posts, read 940,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Why?
You've forgotten the third opinion:The both was created through God.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreidi View Post
How can the egg come before the chicken? Who laid that egg in the fist place then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Well I guess it has to do with religion because if you believe in evolution, it really should be the egg since the first chicken "evolved" or mutated out of an egg from some already living type of animal thats close to a chicken (maybe a rooster got it on with another sickly or mutated rooster and out popped a chicken Who knows, thats just my opinion anyways:P
I answer this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The egg because the question does not specify what "the egg" means. Egg-laying animals clearly predate chickens and therefore eggs came before chickens.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Aside from the entire "eggs were here long before chicken" approach, it's important to understand why the egg comes directly before the chicken, or rather, why we can actually say that both appeared at the same time.

The chicken obviously came from the egg in which it was laid. However, whatever laid that egg was not a chicken. A chicken is an arbitrary definition of humans--a categorization for our pattern-finding category-loving brains. I tried pointing this out a little in the thread a while back, with the question of the color being orange or yellow. We can't categorically define things that exist on a spectrum.

This is what I was talking about. Is it orange? Is it yellow?

Whichever attributes we assign to a chicken, one of those attributes did not exist between the proto-chicken and the mutations that create our chicken in the egg. This is a well known phenomenon in psychology--categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality